UKC

Ape Index

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
uriel 27 Jan 2005
I was at my local wall last night and had a discussion with a friend about Ape index's
Height measurement vs reach (measure height, then place one hand on floor and see if you can reach past height mark with other hand)

Mines about 1.5 inches(no wonder Im such a crap climber)
My climbing partners is 5 inches or so (and he's 6'4) (skumbag)

aparently mr Dawes has a hugely positive ape index too

So whats your ape index!!

Uriel
 MeMeMe 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Was getting fitted for a shirt the other day and the guy measuring me said "Oh, you've got very short arms for your height"

My height and arm span are pretty much distance. I'd love to have a 1.5 inch ape index!
sloper 27 Jan 2005
In reply to MeMeMe: Please can we have a translation into English
 chris j 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: +1.5, you lucky, lucky b*stard, I dream of a positive ape index, languishing on -2". Biut I can climb harder than a couple of friends with arms down to their knees (or near as...)
tubengen 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

my height and span are equal.

So, I suppose that makes my index - 0
Hotbad Peteel 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

its total arm span and distance from tiptoe to maximum vertcal stretch that matters. Basically a really long head is a disadvantage
Pete
rich 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: about the same as yours iirc although i measured it with horizontal arms apart span rather than one hand on the floor and reacing up - that sounds like it would be stricter
 MeMeMe 27 Jan 2005
In reply to sloper:

It seemed okay to me!

Although reading it back there do seem to be some bits missing , but I'm sure anyone of any intelligence can fill in the gaps for themselves.
In reply to MeMeMe:

I mkae up for only having a 6ft total arm span by being stronger than other people anyways. If you can't do a crucifix with your arms out and feet off then ape index starts to be a bit of a fuzzy idea.
Pete
rich 27 Jan 2005
In reply to rich:
> . . . one hand on the floor and reacing up - that sounds like it would be stricter

<returns from measuring> apparently not and that looks more like +3" - i must just be shit at climbing then

Fidget 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

+4 ish for me.
karl walton 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: ‘Just for the record’ (not saying anybody doesn’t know this already)
Span is measured from middle finger tip to middle finger tip with arms held out at right angles to the body. Subtract your height from this and the resulting number in inches is your ape index. To be absolutely fair to people of all heights it would be better expressed as a percentage or fraction decimal or otherwise. This is because a person who is 5'tall with +2 AI is significantly more unusual than a person who is say 6'5" with +2 AI.
I agree with 'Hotbad' that absolute vertical limit of reach can be more significant. But Ape Index is useful comparative measure.
My AI is +6, but Ian Hill's is +8
 bunny head 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

about +4 for me too
In reply to bunny head:

didn't realise you had an armspan mr/mrs/miss head
Pete
 Ali 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Think I'm neutral or perhaps very slightly positive if i stretch My excuse for poor climbing ability anyway!
Steven Martin 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
Mine (Ape Index) is 5.5 inches.
This usually ends the thread.

And it doesn't make me a good climber either.
 Dave Stelmach 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Probably got Marfans syndrome then!
A good indication of proximity to Neanderthal is the prominence of the eyebrow ridge and the recession of the forehead (indicating small cranial cavity); another good indicator is how far the ridge below the nose protrudes beyond that at the bridge of the nose. Ears may be lower than usual as well.
In reply to Steven Martin:

but you were good in airplane
Pete
 SidH 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
Do you put your hand flat on the floor or tips of fingers?
If tips mine is +1 otherwise about -5 !
Steven Martin 27 Jan 2005
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:
> (In reply to Steven Martin)
>
> but you were good in airplane
> Pete

I am Steven Martin, not Steve Martin, and neither of us were in Airplane.
 MeMeMe 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Anyone got a good way of improving your ape index then?

I've been eating loads of bananas but no change yet.
JJJJ 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

think i'm about +5

would like to point out that while long arms are good for reaching wide they aren't any use for reaching high (because in effect having relatively long arms is just another way of saying that you've got short legs or, more usually, a short body.

in addition, having long limbs is likely to mean that you have relatively long outforce levers in relation to inforce levers, meaning that you are able to deliver less power at the finger tips for a given amount of muscle.

taking all this into consideration, it is far from obvious that a highly positive ape index has any bearing on climbing ability.

J.
In reply to MeMeMe:

ask the spanish. Try insulting their religion first
Pete
karl walton 27 Jan 2005
In reply to JJJJ: would like to point out that while long arms are good for reaching wide they aren't any use for reaching high (because in effect having relatively long arms is just another way of saying that you've got short legs or, more usually, a short body.

I shall have to challenge this statement. It may be accurate in some cases, but not all.
It is quite possible to have long arms and a more normally proportioned body and legs.
J2.5 v2.1.0.3 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

My ape index is +9, but I am a shortarse and have two bellies, so don't climb particularly hard.
 CJD 27 Jan 2005
In reply to karl walton:

everybody knows you're only 4'3", Walton
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to karl walton)
>
> everybody knows you're only 4'3", Walton

If only I were that tall.
uriel 27 Jan 2005
In reply to SidH:
Finger tip's on floor mate!

I forgot to mention Im 5'4 in shoes so I guess my positive ape index is cancelled out by my severe lack of height.
I have to bloody dyno for everything!

Uri
JJJJ 27 Jan 2005
In reply to karl walton:

> I shall have to challenge this statement. It may be accurate in some cases, but not all.
> It is quite possible to have long arms and a more normally proportioned body and legs.

but my point is that when you have a positive ape index, do you have normal body and legs and long arms, or do you have short body and legs and normal arms? put another way, is your ape-index positive because your arms are long or the rest of you is short?

it's just a choice of language: the facts, and the reach upwards (though not sideways) remain the same. for upward reach ape-index is irrelevant, or rather, it is only weakly correlated with the true measure of interest, namely shoulder height plus arm length.

anyway, the inforce-outforce lever question is probably more pertinent. i'd like to see a random sample of climbers with their ape-indices and their best top-rope grade (and best trad grade) to see if there is any relationship between ape-index and climbing ability and, if so, in which direction it lies: could be either way.

i think both top-rope and leading grades should be checked, because i suspect ape-index may be positively correlated with in-untero testosterone levels, which might effect boldness as well as physical climbing ability. (NB, girls can have high in-utero testosterone levels without being mannish)

i've just realised that there is actually no particular reason to suppose that long limbs equals long outforce levers within a species, although it is the case between species. but let's not go into that.

in addition to all that i've also just realised that i couldn't give a toss.
 CJD 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

my ape index is 0. Rather than using this as an excuse for ineptitude while climbing, I prefer to just think of it as being 'normal'
JJJJ 27 Jan 2005
In reply to CJD:

ah well, is it 'normal' though? what is the average ape index? there's no reason to suppose that it is zero.
karl walton 27 Jan 2005
In reply to JJJJ:
My head hurts; I think I'll have a nap now.
karl walton 27 Jan 2005
In reply to CJD: Funny that, I don't think of you as either inept or normal
 CJD 27 Jan 2005
In reply to karl walton:

compliment? insult? who can say...

CJD 27 Jan 2005
In reply to JJJJ:

look, just humour me, okay?
JJJJ 27 Jan 2005
In reply to CJD:

but i am doing: you know very well that you despise normality in yourself.
 CJD 27 Jan 2005
In reply to JJJJ:

Do I?

:-S

Skyfall 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

"only" +1.5 indeed!

mine is about -1.5

shows that, actually, my lead grade should be radically adjusted upwards
JJJJ 27 Jan 2005
In reply to CJD:

don't you?
In reply to JJJJ:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> ah well, is it 'normal' though? what is the average ape index? there's no reason to suppose that it is zero.

Da Vinci thought it was zero.

http://www.artofeurope.com/leonardo/leo10.htm

Not sure what he did on grit though.
JJJJ 27 Jan 2005
In reply to JonC:

where's the evidence?
 CJD 27 Jan 2005
In reply to JJJJ:

aaaarrrgh <runs off screaming>

I'm dealing with carpet merchants today. It's sapping my energy.
 Wilbur 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

ZERO
Fex Wazner 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

I have a couple in my time that I have rated about 1.5 out of ten.

Fex.
Ian Hill 27 Jan 2005
In reply to Steven Martin:
> (In reply to uriel)
>
> I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
> Mine (Ape Index) is 5.5 inches.
> This usually ends the thread.
>
> And it doesn't make me a good climber either.

and I usually reply to you that mine is +8 ...
 CJD 27 Jan 2005
In reply to Ian Hill:

do your knuckles actually drag on the ground?

Ian Hill 27 Jan 2005
In reply to CJD: not since I got the special gloves and shoulder brace
 Jus 27 Jan 2005
In reply to Ian Hill:

oi you, stop bragging about your simian arms on every ape index thread that gets posted!
 Gecko18 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Mine is +6
 LankyPaddy 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

My Effort: +4"
Kev on the road 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
I come in at a grand +7.
Eskimo-man 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Dont forget that the simple reason to long arms is a low level of testosteron in young years. Where did all the girls go?
+14..........cm
 lost1977 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

+ 2 i think

Phil
 Jenn 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

-1 cm or something
colski 27 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

I have a simply spiffing ape index.

But I lost both my my legs in a tragic car accident when I was 12.
Ian Hill 27 Jan 2005
In reply to colski: improves your power to weight ratio too!!
 Ropeboy 28 Jan 2005
In reply to Sarah_Clough & bunny head:

Interesting, you must be very gifted. Most women are ape index negative as a general rule of thumb.

J

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...