UKC

Coffee crisis - my habit under threat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nz Cragrat 17 Mar 2005
NZPA:
World coffee prices double

World coffee prices have doubled in five months - to more than US$1100 a tonne.

And American consumers are feeling the pinch but most Europeans can still have a cup at the old price - at least for now - thanks to a strong euro and a weak US dollar.

The reason for this increase comes down to simple economics; demand is outstripping supply. The world supply has recently decreased, with Brazil expecting to lose 20% this year due to dry weather. Vietnam is also expecting a similar decrease this year.  As well, the devastating tsunami experienced on Dec.26, 2004 in the Indian Ocean had an effect on shipping ports (the coffee trees were fine, as coffee is grown at higher elevations).  On the other side, world demand for the bean is increasing at an alarming rate, a large part of which is attributed to the global expansion of coffee franchises, notably Starbucks.

Now I don't want to get into the fair trade issue but I DO have an espresso problem - well I find it hard to walk past my shiney La Pavoni in the kitchen without firing it up and devouring another drop of black gold so this is quite worrying when I have a "habit".
Matt Wilson 17 Mar 2005
In reply to nz Cragrat:

See, I knew that stockpiling all those beans was a good idea

However, with people like Starbucks in the market, the coffee prices may rise to slightly more than the extortionate prices they already are but really, does anyone go to Starbucks for a decent cup of coffee? No. So hopefully all these poncy coffee cafe places will die out and either be replaced (i'm thinking a ratio of 10 crap coffee houses shut = 1 decent one left standing) or will metamophose into something better.

Whatever happens, i'm glad it's the Americans who are feelnig the pinch. And here's me with a cuppa on my desk right now

I feel your pain though and understand your worry... it scared me for a second there.
Justin 17 Mar 2005
In reply to nz Cragrat: What are you wearing in that profile picture, Gaultier?
OP nz Cragrat 17 Mar 2005
In reply to Justin:

I wish...

Unfortunately on a trip on the Fox neve I had suffered some severe sun action (nz sun is influenced by the ozone hole) so was trying to give the sunburned cracked lips/face while making the most of the fine weather.
Nick Simpson 17 Mar 2005
In reply to nz Cragrat:

i recently picked up some mighty fine cambodian coffee beans while in asia and they are probably the best i've tasted. (but i'm no expert). very cheap too! wish i'd brought much more home, looks like i could've made a tidy profit!

n

ps, this is a long shot, but i used to live with a guy in cumbria who was from christchurch. he explained to me the 5 or 6 degrees of separation idea, so you *must* know him!

Jamie Bowes, he was an outdoor ed student, and did a years work exp for outward bound during 02-03. i've lost his e-mail. he had size 13 feet, i believe...
In reply to Nick Simpson:

Well maybe seven degrees since I tutor outdoor ed students and work for Outward Bound (in the Sierras California) so I will see if I can track him down for you.
Nick Simpson 17 Mar 2005
In reply to nz Cragrat:

much appreciated!
 rubbercrumb 17 Mar 2005
In reply to nz Cragrat:
try coming off it for a week.
I did and I suffered extreme withdrawal, man I was a zombie.
I realised I had been jacked up on coffee every day for a decade.
Now I'm a lot calmer and I just use coffee like any other drug
i.e. for a purpose, not unthinkingly like I used to.

do that and there won't be such a shortage!
In reply to Nick Simpson:
Outward Bound here or in the UK?
In reply to rubbercrumb:

Me too - discovered I was addicted when I stopped for a while for a long flight overseas - got a splitter migraine like headache that would NOT go away with any amount of paracetamol but vanished within 15 seconds of having an espresso !!
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Nick

I think I have the details though they were/are a year old 03/04- can you email me as I don't think I should post them publicly as there could be privacy issues due to how I obtained them!!

In reply to nz Cragrat:

I also note that over the last few years the price of coffee on the world commodity markets collapsed putting many many people at the grassroots level out of work. Over that period the price of coffee remained unaffected on the street !!! Bet it goes up quick enough.
Maggot 20 Mar 2005
In reply to nz Cragrat: I gave it up for lent last year and found simmilar for the first week or so, apparnely I was a complete arse to live with too, although they didn't specify if that was a new thing!

Since I've had one day off a week and just drink a lot less, but appreciate what I do drink.

Apparently the headache has something to do with an increase in the blood flow to the brain with less coffee, or so I read in the national geographic recently.
 Dominion 20 Mar 2005
In reply to Maggot:

I'm currently on a one cup-of-coffee per week regime, and that's only if I get up to the coffee machine above the swimming pool at Warwick Uni on Sundays - went climbing outside today, so no coffee!

The thing you notice most, if your don't drink caffeine drinks regularly, is that they will make you go to the loo (ie they are diuretic)... Of course, if you are used to regular caffeine, then it has no more effect than drinking the same qantity of water. If you're not used to it, then you have to go, lots...
Maggot 20 Mar 2005
In reply to Dominion: Also, if you drink ENORMOUS amounts of very strong coffee they send your guts nuts and make it feel like the world is falling out of your ass and you've no control.

That's why I don't drink lots of strong coffee before exams anymore.

One a week; that's impressive; I hope it's a good machine!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...