UKC

Drytooling bolted limestone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Liathac 24 Mar 2005
Anybody got any ethical problems with a few of us drytooling on bolted limestone in the Yorkshire area?
 Alan Stark 24 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac:

You might even roughen some of the polished holds, or pull some of the loose crap off.

I never climb on bolted Yorkshire limestone, so it wont affect me anyway.

Ducks and runs for cover.
banned profile 74 24 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac: im sure somepeople are gonna have a big problem with this unless you find a chossy outcrop somewhere.

rich
OP Anonymous 24 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac: yeh, i dont climb round there but if i was climbing somewhere and tht was happening i wouldn't b best pleased
this is what i have heard ppl say about it "if you go dry tooling you'll get beaten up and your car set on fire"
 Nick Selmes 24 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous: Big talk from the people NOT holding the axes I'd say.
Liathac 26 Mar 2005
In reply to Nick Selmes: I have to admit, when I think of the damage Ive done to myself with axes whilst not trying to stick em in myself, doesnt bare thinking about what you could do with them when intentionally looking for a good placement.

Though part of the thread was , where does bolting ethics start?
Liathac 26 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Liathac) yeh, i dont climb round there but if i was climbing somewhere and tht was happening i wouldn't b best pleased
> this is what i have heard ppl say about it "if you go dry tooling you'll get beaten up and your car set on fire"

That would save me having to pay someone to do it for me, as for being beaten up Ive not seen anyone with a cordless capable yet

Justin 26 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac:
> where does bolting ethics start?

at home?
OP Anonymous 26 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac: why dont you try real climbing with your hands.using axes and crampons is a cop out way of climbing,if you can call it climbing.real men use chalk and rubber boots
OP Anonymous 26 Mar 2005
In reply to Nick Selmes: Aye, don't think I'd be mouthing of at someone holding 2 axes either.
Liathac 26 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Liathac) why dont you try real climbing with your hands.using axes and crampons is a cop out way of climbing,if you can call it climbing.real men use chalk and rubber boots

but not bolts?
 richardh 26 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac:

Plenty of people would have plenty of ethical problems with that of course.

What you're suggesting is simple vandalism and is no different to dry tooling on any other type of rock, bolted or unbolted. and the usual goes with any vandalism, if you've got enough people with enough axes you'll get away with it.

why you'd bother is beyond me when the prevailing ethic is to not do so.
OP Anonymous 27 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac: any punter can climb with axes,you dont need any skill at all.
 jas wood 27 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac:
why the narrow minded ness?
people don,t want to tool then dont!! but don,t try to preech to others what they CANNOT do!!

i think he,s taking the piss about yorkshire like
Removed User 27 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac: No problem if the routes or crag is all ready bolted and it is not used for rock climbing i suppose.

There will be a new site being launched soon that will be soley for dry toolers plus the introduction to a Dry toolers club all of this is very hush at the mo but i will post some info on the web, when and where it will be, but the post will NOT be on this UKC site
 Jamie B 27 Mar 2005
In reply to Removed User:

> No problem if the routes or crag is already bolted and it is not used for rock climbing I suppose.

Know ye of such a crag?
Liathac 27 Mar 2005
In reply to jas wood: Im not narrow minded and never stated what people cannot do. So I dont quite understand your response.

What I was trying to say was, considering that bolted routes (often on limestone and often in Yorkshire and as its near me)are usually to be found on very unfrequented venues (thats why they put the bolts in, so they say) and that the persons who put in the bolts dont seem to have a problem bolting limestone, would they therefore object to someone dry tooling those roots? Or would they now suddenly get a consience? (very selectively).
 jas wood 28 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac: was replying to the answers not the questtion must have hit wrong reply key and i didnt realise they was stuff in yorkshire bolted but not frequented as i live close and fancy drytooling to keep up winter skills.
 Chris Fryer 28 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Liathac) any punter can climb with axes,you dont need any skill at all.

Yeah, thats right, no skill required whatsoever.

What comes first, being a wanker or being anonymous? Or does it happen at more or less the same time? Just curious.

Norrie Muir 28 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Liathac) any punter can climb with axes,you dont need any skill at all.

Dear Anonymous

How right you are. Are you one of those rock climbers who do not use your feet ot your head?

Norrie
 stp 28 Mar 2005
In reply to Liathac:

If you want to ice climb when there's no ice around I suggest the white cliff of Dover. Not only can you climb with axes and crampons you can place you're own ice screws too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...