UKC

Crazy Midsummer Climbing Challenges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adrian Berry Global Crag Moderator 13 Jun 2005
I'm collecting climbing challenges for an article I'm writing.

So far, a few examples:

100 Extremes in a day - Fawcett
500 Routes in a day - Arran / Ohly
3 Summits - on rock Bonnington / Thompson

If anyone has any climbing challenges that they have done, aspire to do, or have heard of others doing, please drop me an email - I'd be happy to include it!

Cheers
Adrian

adrian@planetfear.com
 sutty 13 Jun 2005
In reply to Adrian Berry:

Contact KMC or Bob Milne, he did something like Kilnsey Main, Malham Main and one of the Gordale overhangs in a day for charity. I know it was impressive at the time, circa 65.
 Wingnut 13 Jun 2005
One slightly more possible-for-normal-mortals one: Lead fourteen routes (ideally of the same grade) on fourteen gritstone crags (different bits of Stanage split into three), running between them carrying rope and rack (no soloing allowed). If you fall off then the route doesn't count and you have to do another one at the same crag. Been done for the last couple of years as a semi-competitive event between two Brum-based clubs.
Yorkspud 13 Jun 2005

Thinking of doing 60 sit-down-starts in half an hour
 Gus 13 Jun 2005
All the Brown/ Whillan's routes in Staffs or on eastern grit, or on gogarth/the pass etc in a day, I kow a few who have tried the staffordshire challenge, not sure about the others, I reckon any of them would be an amazing day out!!!
enjoy!
Gus
 smithaldo 13 Jun 2005

the things they did on skye many many years ago were pretty mental when they drank mummery's blood to keep them going! Can't remember exact things but they were very challenging.
 sutty 13 Jun 2005
In reply to Yorkspud:

Anyone can do sit-down-starts, I regularly do them to put the kettle on.
 KeithW 13 Jun 2005
In reply to Yorkspud:

> Thinking of doing 60 sit-down-starts in half an hour

I'm thinking of sitting down for half-an-hour.

Hotbad Peteel 13 Jun 2005

most people up three pebble slab and todys wall in a single day (limited between sun up and sun down). Hang on we#ll stick sunset slab in for good measure
p
 Oli 13 Jun 2005
In reply to Adrian Berry: Boulder ruckle girdle traverse (swanage) in one day?
 nickstephens 13 Jun 2005

Actually do 8hours work instead of spending my day on the internet planning my next trip.
OP Adrian Berry Global Crag Moderator 13 Jun 2005
Thanks for all this - I am mostly interested in link ups of routes, rather than traverses, which are sort of routes in their own right - and if these were to be included, then there's Ron's 'E5 6c' traverse of Stanage.

Keep 'em coming...
 graeme jackson 13 Jun 2005
In reply to Adrian Berry: Worcester Mountaineering club used to do the 'Gritstone Gallop' - a route on every edge from bamford to chatsworth - stanage gets one at each end. You must nominate a grade and stick to it. walking all the way. They might still do it - I left in 1998.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jun 2005
In reply to graeme jackson:
Yes, they still do it
 Stig 13 Jun 2005
In reply to Adrian Berry: Me and a mate are going to do 50 VS and above on Stanage next weekend. Going to start at 3am so we can make it for last orders. Since I was completely knackered after about six routes - although one was The Tippler - last Friday, I don't think much of our chances.
Yorkspud 13 Jun 2005
In reply to sutty:

How about - most erosion in a day

Some of the marathons are no doubt extraordinary feats but personally I find them deeply dull.
 Paz 13 Jun 2005

Someone (MattH?) mentioned bagging all the pinnacles in the peak. Think when you tot them up just flicking through On Peak Rock there's more of them than you think, miles more than just Rivelin Needle and Dovedale Church and it even needed somebody to really sit down and work out the logistics for a good weekend, so doing them in a day would probably be quite a challenge.

Other ones I've noticed are (thinking of fun achievments than full on 'in a day' challenges like your examples) - all the Sennen Cracks. Could limit it just to things with Crack in the title (what I had in mind) if you're not up to Super Jam and Samson. Avon Gorge VSs in a day - probably easier than the well known Stanage VSs (TD/ED?) or Stanage HVSs (ED2?) as it's well set up to enchain routes and they're all only half a mile apart (don't people say the walking you have to do in these things is the hardest part - any challenge has got to be easier using accessible crags) 37+ pitches/ 19+ routes if memory serves, would be miles harder to onsight them all in day. Brimham VSs provide a well known good day out. I would've thought there're plenty of good bouldering ones (in addition to the obvious circuits) some Pembroke ones, and maybe even some sport ones. Have the Staffordshire Brown/whillans routes been done in a day? Evil Peak cracks(Right E, Cave, Sentinel, Emerald, Ramshaw etc. etc.)? Peak Bancroft/Allen classics?

Of course If you want you could even climb the country's hardest off widths, take as long as you like!
 TimB 13 Jun 2005

Didn't someone do all three Suicide Walls in 24 hours - Idwal, Cratcliffe, Bosigran?
 Wingnut 13 Jun 2005
Tried to reply to your email - keeps bouncing.
 MattH 13 Jun 2005
In reply to Wingnut:

All the starred HVS's at Millstone in a day. There are 21 as I recall.

All the starred HVS's at Stanage in a weekend. There are 70 odd (in the old guide book) as I recall. Starting at Apparent North end, the Vice is the penultimate one! When I did it we lead every route, only set two belays at the otp of the crag, preferring to run behind a boulder and body belay, and ate / drank nothing but Red Bull and Marzipan for a whole weekend! I think this would be an excellent day challege.
 Ropeboy 13 Jun 2005
In reply to TimB:
> (In reply to Adrian Berry)
>
> Didn't someone do all three Suicide Walls in 24 hours - Idwal, Cratcliffe, Bosigran?

I like the sound of that one!

J
sloper 14 Jun 2005
In reply to Adrian Berry: I've done the gritstone ton on stanage, not too bad but it takes at least 12-13 hours and you've got to be capable of soloing up to E3.

Sort of a ron lite.

What about v0 - v10 (on different crags) in a day?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...