UKC

bishop trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EricpAndrew 19 Jun 2005
going out to bishop after the summer, and after some info

what airport is best to fly to, and any tips on cheep websites to book it from?

ta
 Mick B 19 Jun 2005
In reply to EricpAndrew: It`s not a bad run from Vegas, and will save you the nightmare of dealing with the L.A. traffic.
You could also sneak a day in at Red Rocks.
Sta travel are good, worth visiting the shop as they found me a flight cheaper than on there website.
Free camping when you get there at "the pit", which is fine and where all the climbers will be. Other campgrounds were looking for around 18 bucks a night.
 Smelly Fox 19 Jun 2005
In reply to Mick B:
"The Pit" will be closed by then. Horton Creek is the campsite youll want. Its much nicer than the pit at any rate!
 Chris Fryer 20 Jun 2005
In reply to Smelly Fox: You can stay at the Pit at any time, even if it isn't officially open. San Fran or Nevada seem to be the best bet to fly to, or LA. Nevada seems to be the least popular, hence cheapest flights?
 Rowie B 20 Jun 2005
In reply to EricpAndrew:

I flew into Reno last time which is nearer but cause it's a much smaller airport than the likes of San Fran it costs a wee bit more.
 Chris Fryer 20 Jun 2005
In reply to Rowie B: When I said Nevada, I of course meant Reno. Mon AM , need coffee.
 Stuart S 20 Jun 2005
In reply to EricpAndrew:

Reno is a ~3 hour drive, Vegas and LA are about 5 hours and San Fransisco is about 6 hours. All approximate, of course. That said, the drive over from San Fransisco is very scenic...

Best advice is to just hunt about for a bargain. When you've found a good deal, give a travel agent a call and tell them you'll book there and then if then can beat your internet price.

You might also get a deal if you book car hire at the same time. A 4 wheel drive may be worth considering, depending on where you're hoping to visit.
OP EricpAndrew 20 Jun 2005
In reply to Stuart S: not sure i can afford a hire car for two months!

going to go where the wind take me! or thats the plan, or lack thereof!
 Mick B 20 Jun 2005
In reply to Stuart S: Although if you`re going to fly to San Fran be sure that the pass is open.
Go Vegas and you get to check out Death Valley on the drive up.
Do try the Sta travel shop (no, i have no connection with the company), there in shop price was considerably better than anything i found anywhere else. £280 return to vegas.
OP EricpAndrew 20 Jun 2005
In reply to Mick B: when did you go?

im planning early sept to early nov
 Mick B 20 Jun 2005
In reply to EricpAndrew: I guess the pass would still be open then, but dont take my word on that.
I was in Bishop end of March/early April this year.Part of a three month trip.
 Stuart S 21 Jun 2005
In reply to Mick B:
> (In reply to Stuart S) Although if you`re going to fly to San Fran be sure that the pass is open.

I've been there twice, both times around April, and the Tioga Pass has always been shut. But the Carson Pass has always been open, and if the Monitor Pass is open too, you can use it as a further short-cut.

joao 27 Jun 2005
i'm plannig to spend the winter there but i'm not gonna have a car, what tips can you give to me about bishop, considering camp sites, boulder sites, and of course is there any crag for sports climbing?

joao
 Chris Fryer 28 Jun 2005
In reply to joao: You can walk to Happys and Sads from the Pit, and probably bum lifts to anywhere else. Take a decent sleeping back if you plan on enduring the winter, it will get cold. Sport climbing at Owen's River Gorge and Clark Canyon, 45 mins and about 1hr away respectively. I expect Clark would be more pleasant in winter though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...