UKC

Ticks at Chapel Head Scar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Farnell 28 Jun 2005
Just a note to let people beware that there are ticks at Chapel Head Scar. I got one on Sunday and didn't spot it till today, had to go to A&E to get it sorted as I wasn't 100% sure of how to remove it.

Lycra anyone?

Andy F
allyf 28 Jun 2005
In reply to andy farnell:

Got 7 the other day at Glen Rosa on arran! (3 I managed to flick off before the got a hold!)
 Norrie Muir 28 Jun 2005
> Just a note to let people beware that there are ticks at Chapel Head Scar. I got one on Sunday and didn't spot it till today,

Dear Andy

I go to lots of places where ticks are, so I always check for then that evening. Don't wait too long for checking for them.

Norrie
 marie 28 Jun 2005
In reply to andy farnell: Nasty little buggers...

I still have the scabs from removing them when I did the LAMM :oS
 Ands 29 Jun 2005
In reply to marie:
> (In reply to andy farnell) Nasty little buggers...
>
> I still have the scabs from removing them when I did the LAMM :oS

Itchy scratchy!!! ;(

Ands 29 Jun 2005

Don't worry about it too much Andy mate.

I must have been bitten by over 100 ticks over the years (some of which have been in for days). I can imagine Norrie will have been bitten by over 1000. Either neither of us have Lymes or neither of us have spent enough time without a hangover to notice the difference...

Joke. It is a serious issue. Wathc out for the signs of infection. The bullseye "bruise" in the area of the bite is the main one. Check yourself in a full length mirror when you come back from any crag where you walk through undergrowth. Grab them at the point of contact on you skin with tweezers and twist either clockwise of anti-clockwise.

Ands
 IMA 29 Jun 2005
In reply to andy farnell: remove the ticks head 1st pref with tweezers
squeek 29 Jun 2005

On a side note, has all the rebolting been done?
OP Andy Farnell 29 Jun 2005
In reply to squeek: Lots seemed to have been done. Tried Stan Pulsar, which seemed way harder than Phantom Zone!!!

Andy F
IainM 29 Jun 2005
In reply to andy farnell: Get a dog - then you can get lots of pratice at removing them.

4-5 a week at the moment. The fat bloated ones are the best and they burst when burnt.
 Monkeyrock 30 Jun 2005
In reply to andy farnell: Cover completely in vassalene and they pretty much fall out after 10 mins or so.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Jul 2005
In reply to Monkeyrock:
> Cover completely in vassalene and they pretty much fall out after 10 mins or so

having deposiuted the contents of their stomachs in your blood stream, before they do so
I read somewhere that twisting is more likely to pull the head off, and a gentle staright pull is better, right at the neck of the tick (at the surface of your skin) and if you get them out in less than 3 days you've a much smalle rchance of catching lymes.
 Oli 01 Jul 2005
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Those little plastic hook things are good. (got one for the dog)
 net 01 Jul 2005
In reply to andy farnell: I've found squirting them with insect repellent then very quickly pulling out the with a decent pair of tweezers (before they have time to vom their insides out) does the job. They're all over the North Lancs/S Lakes limestone crags at the moment and i've had about 5 so far this yr. :os
 Jack 01 Jul 2005
In reply to andy farnell: I went to chapel head scar on sunday and couldnt tick anything.
 Lucy Wallace 01 Jul 2005
In reply to allyf:
I have heard so much conflicting advice about ticks and what to do with them but the nurse at my local practice on Arran (she'd know?) says a spot of vaseline followed by a quick anticlockwise twist using a tick remover that you can buy from the vet is the best bet.
Yep, Glen Rosa seems to be full of em! Had a few there myself too.
MarkM 01 Jul 2005
In reply to The Gibbon:
have been lots of threads about this recently (search for lymes disease). Tick remover from vet or tweezers seems to be the general (and official) consensus way as best to remove - no need or benefit for using vaseline
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jul 2005
In reply to The Gibbon:
and the nurse on duty at the LAMM (he'd know?) said that vaseline was one of the worst things you could use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...