UKC

insurance - life and income protection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
richard turkington 21 Jul 2005
i've just been speaking to an insurance broker who told me that life/critical illness cover is an extra 10 quid a month if you climb but would only pay out on life and not the critical illness

also he said you wouldn't be able to get an income protection policy if you climb

i'm thinking of getting these policies but i'm not a hardcore climber, i've got my first trip to the alps coming up this summer

has anyone managed to get these sorts of insurance after declaring you 'climb', would an insurance company ask what kind of climbing you do and base a policy on that?
Deejay 21 Jul 2005
In reply to richard turkington: Hi, I'm afraid your broker is talking bollocks. Yes your premiums may load a wee bit but I've had Income protection, critical illness and Insurance for years, I've always been upfront about climbing, mtb'ing and had no problems. Try Lloyds TSB, they're doing critical illness with free life insurance at the moment, ring Steve Maguire at the St.Helens branch he's an honest bloke.

DJ
m0unt41n 21 Jul 2005
In reply to richard turkington:
I am a Land Surveyor, so I am not in the Insurance / IFA side, but I sort it out for my Company.

Simple life insurance is cheap and generally has few strings attached. Have a look at www.theidol.com it gives good value on line quotes.

Income protection, or PHI, is expensive if taken out personally, company group policies tend to be a lot cheaper and better cover. Check whether you are covered to do "Same job", "Same class of job", "any job etc" since some are written that if you can do any work they wont pay out. Also waiting period, whether payments indexed linked etc.

Critical illness can be a rip off in that the small print can limit claims to illness or circumstances that are very rare. It's expensive for the cover, check carefully. I hink its in the same category as "Accidental death cover" looks good but a successful claim is so unlikely it's not worth it.

The commission on PHI / Critical Illness is a lot more than simple term life. There arent that many arrangements where you have to contract to pay a lot of money but never find out until it's too late what you are really going to get. Particularly not to an Industry with such an appalling track record.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...