UKC

where can I buy those rubber things for ice screw points

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Overton 03 Apr 2002
Anyone know where I can get those rubber cap things that go over the end of an ice screw and prevent the teeth shredding everything?
OP Jo - elsewhere 03 Apr 2002
In reply to Simon Overton:

They're in all the shops up here, but if you can't find any then....

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Ice_Screws_35.html
Pete A 03 Apr 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: I also sell them in blue and red, 2 quid for 5 inc p&p.
 Vdiff Dave 03 Apr 2002
In reply to Jo - elsewhere:

Well found. I got rubber ends with all mine when I bought them except for my titanium camp one. I suspect that this is because no such thing exists, the rubber ends on that page would be too small. Any chance of waving the same magic wand and finding a link to a page with some extra large rubber ice-screw jonnies?
OP Jo - elsewhere 03 Apr 2002
In reply to Vdiff Dave:

I scoured the world online markets for you Dave and nothing! I don't use the titanium ones so I have no idea what diameter protector you are looking for but, as I am a tight fisted git do what I do and just get some dense foam, cut it into little tube shapes, cover it in self amalgamating tape quite tightly and screw it into that.
Pete A 03 Apr 2002
In reply to Jo - elsewhere: Good idea. And for warthogs a little piece clear plastic tubing works wonders.
francoise 03 Apr 2002
In reply to Pete A:

I always get caught on my abalakov hook. There must be a way to protect that.
OP Big Yin 04 Apr 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: Jus ask in the Chemists he`ll ken whit ye mean.Ye neednae b shy oan here.
Simon Overton 04 Apr 2002
In reply to Big Yin:

Believe it or not that thought did pass through my mind... but not in the way your thinking perhaps... THEN I REALISED.. the teeth would cut through the rubber and ripped salopettes time again.
 Rob Naylor 04 Apr 2002
In reply to francoise:

I was given one of those fancy Grivel ones for Christmas...it's got an integral hook protector that just slides into place.

The hook itself was far too big though...I had to file it down considerably before it would work efficiently.
Pete A 04 Apr 2002
In reply to Rob Naylor: I made mine from the bar on a shirt hanger - already plastic coated. I reckon a piece of bunson burner rubber tube should stretch over the hook.
 Rob Naylor 04 Apr 2002
In reply to Pete A:

That's what I had before...wouldn't have bought the purpose-made thingy myself, but not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!
 TobyA 05 Apr 2002
In reply to Vdiff Dave: Dave, I have a couple of the same screws and made protectors out of some card and duct tape. Mine are three years old now and haven't disintegrated.
Simon Overton 05 Apr 2002
In reply to Simon Overton:

I have 4 camp screws alongside 4 black diamond. The camp are without doubt crap- but they do have some nice protectors I made myself! Cheers folks- have ordered some from needlesports- v. lazy as off there today before heading up to the Bowderstone Crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...