UKC

Oldham Wall now closed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marcus Buckley 03 Sep 2005
having just read the latest news article I was shocked to find my local climbing wall closed! I was aware that it was temporarily closed to the public due to a problem of "spinning holds".

It was reported in the local rag that that the wall would reopen at some later date, and I was under the impression that due to the way the wall was funded the sports centre had to maintain it for a set number of years.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
In reply to Marcus Buckley: No but it is very sad. My one and only pre 21st century climbing experience was an evening at Oldham.
chris tan XLIX 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Marcus Buckley:

The Oldham wall must be at least 15 years old now. I don't think it was or ever has been a big money spinner for the sports centre.

Guess the bosses there must be eager to get shot of it and replace it with gym machines and spa rooms.
In reply to chris tan XLIX:Yes the management have never had much of a vision for the wall. Over the last few years I've felt that all the sports centre have wanted to do was get rid of it and have let the place run down whilst other council owned facilities such as the Huddersfield wall and West View in Preston have prospered.
 sm1rf 07 Sep 2005
not to far away is the very good CLIMB ROCHDALE facility on church lane in Rochdale town centre, very good indoor climbing, and bouldering and shop, worth a look if you miss climbing indoors at Oldham
In reply to sm1rf: yeh, I like rochdale wall but Oldham is/was closer and cheaper.
Serpico 08 Sep 2005
In reply to Marcus Buckley: Oldham was modular EP panels, wasn't it? I wonder what happened to them. There might be a climbing wall in a skip at the back of the leisure centre.
 EdEd 08 Sep 2005
In reply to Marcus Buckley: I spoke to someone who works there and they heard that they only let supervised groups in because of an accident there a while back?!
 Ian Dunn 08 Sep 2005
In reply to sm1rf: The address of Climb Rochdale is 11-31 School Lane Rochdale OL16 1QP
Pussycat 08 Sep 2005
In reply to Marcus Buckley:

Was there earlier this year and all the hexagonal feature hold had been removed on the vertical wall. A few bouldering problems on the overhanging wall on the right remained. Very disappointed as the main wall had a great featured angle to it and was excellent for top roping youngsters.

Rochdale the new place to go.
Pussycat 08 Sep 2005
In reply to EdEd:

Probably scared of a litigation claim, sign of the times. So take the next best option and shut the wall.
In reply to Marcus Buckley: OK here's what I've found out.

The wall is closed as the SPA guy who is "in charge" made a verbal report to the management saying that the wall was unsafe due to people removing bolts that hold the panels together.
The wall has been closed to the public and only open to supervised groups (supervised by the sports centres own staff) for many months now. I assumed that if there was a safety problem then this would be sorted out in time for the winter indoor wall season, the sports centre are supposed to maintain the facility for several more years (a condition of the funding provided to build it) The recent news article would suggest that the wall in now permanently closed.
In reply to Marcus Buckley: For those intersted there is to be a meeting about the possible future of the Oldham climbing wall, it will be at 19:30 on Thursday 22 in the Chadderton Park Inn just off the A627M

Sorry about the short notice, its the best I could do.

Marcus
In reply to Marcus Buckley: bump

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...