UKC

Dont wear a woollen shirt with synthetic nylon jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stu Tyrrell 16 Sep 2005
Power-dressing Aussie leaves trail of destruction Friday September 16, 08:36 AM

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian man built up a 40,000-volt charge of static electricity in his clothes as he walked, leaving a trail of scorched carpet and molten plastic and forcing firefighters to evacuate a building.

Frank Clewer, who was wearing a woollen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together.

When he walked into a building in the country town of Warrnambool in the southern state of Victoria on Thursday, the electrical charge ignited the carpet. "It sounded almost like a firecracker", Clewer told Australian radio on Friday.

"Within about five minutes, the carpet started to erupt."

Employees, unsure of the cause of the mysterious burning smell, telephoned firefighters who evacuated the building.

"There were several scorch marks in the carpet, and we could hear a cracking noise -- a bit like a whip -- both inside and outside the building", said fire official Henry Barton.

Firefighters cut electricity to the building thinking the burns might have been caused by a power surge. Clewer, who after leaving the building discovered he had scorched a piece of plastic on the floor of his car, returned to seek help from the firefighters.

"We tested his clothes with a static electricity field metre and measured a current of 40,000 volts, which is one step shy of spontaneous combustion, where his clothes would have self-ignited," Barton said.

"I've been firefighting for over 35 years and I've never come across anything like this," he said.

Firefighters took possession of Clewer's jacket and stored it in the courtyard of the fire station, where it continued to give off a strong electrical current.

David Gosden, a senior lecturer in electrical engineering at Sydney University, told Reuters that for a static electricity charge to ignite a carpet, conditions had to be perfect.

"Static electricity is a similar mechanism to lightning, where you have clouds rubbing together and then a spark generated by very dry air above them," said Gosden.

Jon Greengrass 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: you're making it up? or did you get that from the darwin awards site?
Smythie 16 Sep 2005
Must have been bald as a coot - remember that science experiment that make your hair stand on end?
OP Stu Tyrrell 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Jon Greengrass: Yahoo news pages!

Stu

JLS 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Is it the 1st of April in Australia?
OP Stu Tyrrell 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Good job he did not Fart!

Stu
 TN 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
> and measured a current of 40,000 volts...

From my studies I seem to remember current being measured in Amps, not Volts.... <sigh>
PeteA 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Most static discharge is very high voltage. I had great fun with a megometer - 1000V type. The South African police used to use the 500V models to torture suspects (allegedly). We used to have comps as to who could hold on the longest as the handle was cranked. I got to just over 700 and that really hurt the muscles. Bugger all amps tho so not dangerous
Kipper 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
>
> ... a senior lecturer in electrical engineering ... clouds rubbing together ...

His students will do well.
mik 16 Sep 2005
In reply to PeteA:
we did that too in school, also had a tank full off water with coins at the buttom and and 2 cabled in the water then see if any could pick up the coins. Was realy hard fighting to keep you fingers from curling up in a fist.
Ohh i miss the fun in school try it at work and we would all get fired.
PeteA 16 Sep 2005
In reply to mik: We told a guy that it was a lie detector and then asked him if he was a pervert and flicked the switch whilst spinning at full speed - he had a wire in each hand hehehe
mik 16 Sep 2005
In reply to PeteA:

LOL

a kid in my class at school would always go and fiddle with whatever he could find in physics room and most of the time break it.

Once my dad scrapped a washing maschine i took out a big capacitor and put tape around it then places to pieces of metal on it and then wired them up to the capazitor. then charged it using powergrid and brought it to school and showed it to my teacher. He then placed it on desk and we sat waiting for this guy to show up (he was also always late for clases) first thing he did when entering was saying "oh what is that" and went over and grapped it. to get a nice little electroshck from 600 volts :0)

My 15 year younger sister went to same school and had same physics teacher, and he still got that capacitor :0)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...