UKC

Winter Skills Course - Scotland or Alps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TRJ 19 Sep 2005
I'd like to book a winter skills course for early 2006 and need some advice. Although I prefer the idea of Scotland, is there enough guaranteed winter snow these days to make the course worthwhile? Or would I be better advised to aim for the Alps? Whilst I'm on the subject, can anyone recommend particularly good courses in either location that they've enjoyed? I know about Glenmore Lodge etc. but I'm on the lookout for other options. Thanks for your help.
 Norrie Muir 19 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ:

Dear T

PYB has a reputation.

Norrie
 Heike 19 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ:

They'll find enough snow for you to practice what you need to. I doubt it that courses offered in the Alps are geared towards the Scottish experience although a lot of the skills are the same.

Here are a couple of reputable organisation / people in addition to the aforementioned national centres.

High expectations (Steve Spalding)
Climbmts (Stuart Johnston)

Try their websites for info and prices.

Simon Caldwell 19 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ:
> Although I prefer the idea of Scotland, is there enough guaranteed winter snow these days to make the course worthwhile?

There's no guaranteed snow at all. Has a 'ski-ing' holiday there one January in the late 80s I think, and there was no snow at all, not even small patches. The first snows started as we drove home of course.
Stefan Lloyd 19 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ: If you want the skills for Scotland, train in Scotland. If you want them for the Alps, train in the Alps. The Alps in winter are liable to have an excess of snow - that's why they use skis. For snow and ice skills, summer is a better time to go to the Alps.

However if you want easily accessible ice climbing and live in the south of England, it's cheap flights to Geneva and the Alps every time.
 alasdair19 19 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ: book in february , there should be enough snow to do everything you need to do. If you go to the alps in winter there may be so much powder you can't do more than flounder and play in forests when the avalanche risk goes through the roof.

Kimbers courses are very good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...