UKC

Socks over boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KeithW 03 Oct 2005
I did Troutdale Pinnacle yesterday, for the first time. It was a bit damp & greasy, and in some places was actually still dripping. So we resorted to the old trick of putting socks over our rockboots.

This was a revalation to me - I've read about it of course; but you have to try it to realise what a difference it makes. It's opened up a whole new arena for me, no more sitting in cafes and wandering round the gear shops; just because it's raining. (Hmmm is this a good thing or not...?)
 Jimmy D 03 Oct 2005
In reply to KeithW:

Often thought about doing this but never done it. What sort of socks are we talking about? Thick, thin, wool, cotton?
 King Rat 03 Oct 2005
In reply to KeithW:

Often thought about this myself, I think wool socks are best. or so I have read.
OP KeithW 03 Oct 2005
In reply to KeithW:

I used ordinary sports socks, kindly lent to me by my mate, because my own were brand new Smartwool jobs.
GeorgeBurgess 03 Oct 2005
In reply to KeithW:

But 17 quid for a pair of socks? I think i'd be better off in the cafe! Aren't Good socks expensive!!!
 JDDD 03 Oct 2005
In reply to GeorgeBurgess: Yes, but ok socks are 2 a penny these days. Nip down to the supermarket - you can pick them of for not right much and I am sure they will do the trick. No point trashing decent socks.
OP KeithW 03 Oct 2005
In reply to GeorgeBurgess:
> (In reply to KeithW)
>
> But 17 quid for a pair of socks?

You misunderstand me - I DIDN'T use the smartwool socks (£15 for the full-on mountain socks, expensive but very comfortable!)

I used cheap George at ASDA '£3 for 10 pairs' sports socks.
GeorgeBurgess 03 Oct 2005
In reply to KeithW:

Good thinking
me. 03 Oct 2005
In reply to KeithW: Lots of years back we used to climb on Great Gable in just stocking feet as our other foot wear was heavy hiking boots.I remember doing routes such as Tophet Wall when 16 and walking back down Hell Gate screes in our socks, our mothers were not happy!! . We did many routes in just stocking feet in exteam wet conditions on Kern Knotts such as Buttonhook etc. You will find that pulling socks over climbing shoes that your socks wear out quicker than socks alone. So if caught out (providing you wear socks) in rain just remove your shoes . Wool does work a little better than cotton....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...