UKC

best ice screw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 connor 09 Oct 2005
rite i hav 3 ice screws left from last years verious trips. and to be honest they were crap .
so which ones should i buy
????

connor
treeboy 09 Oct 2005
In reply to connor: That is a very personal descicion, usually based on price, however I would suggest Steel/Chrom as apposed to Ti/Alu as the teeth and threads are far better wearing. As to brand..., Er..., DMM!
OP connor 09 Oct 2005
In reply to treeboy: chears but money being no object (which it is).what would you pick
 Jonny Tee 69 09 Oct 2005
In reply to connor:

Black Diamond Express or whatever they're called?
OP connor 09 Oct 2005
In reply to Jonny Tee 69: cool i will try and find them
 martin riddell 09 Oct 2005
In reply to connor:

if money no object, can I come climb with you

buy a reputable make, as expensive as you can afford, they are all good, the degrees of difference will not be noticeable (no offence) so they will all be good

the cheaper older styles were indeed poor, but then at the time they were the "cutting edge" of design, it's just that times have moved on

basically any ice screw of modern age, and expense, will do
 abarro81 09 Oct 2005
In reply to connor: Bd turbo express (or if you're poor, some dodgy russian titanium ones)
Justin 09 Oct 2005
In reply to connor: BD turbo express or Grivel 360
 Bokonon 09 Oct 2005
In reply to connor:

I've used the mountain technology ones, and they are rough and ready, but work fine for low grades when you are not too scared, The DMM ones are much better, quicker to get in etc. but considerably more expensive, I've just invested in some BD and Charlet moser ones (my climbing partner got them cheap in the US) so can't comment till after this season.

The mountain technology ones often come up very cheaply second hand, I got a rake of them last season for very little, and they work fine.
OP connor 09 Oct 2005
In reply to Bokonon: chears i think i will try some DMM ones this yearr
GeorgeBurgess 11 Oct 2005
In reply to connor:

360's
In reply to connor:
hi, I have mostly bd turbos but I reallt love the new laser sonics (petzl charlet I think), they feature and independent spinning eye so you can clip in and spin, without the rope going all twisty and I think they bite better than the bd turbos, as I am bad at getting them to 'bite' at first few turns and worry about dropping them. Let me know where you live and if I am nearby I can maybe lend you one to try out (as long as you promise to return it ...or I will stalk you down with my axes!!) best Heidi
ps-the bd turbos are prety good tho i think too, and some really like the fat head on the dmms but I'm not sure. I have some of those too if you want to try.
 David Hooper 11 Oct 2005
In reply to connor: Mix of BD Turbo Express and Grivel 360s for tight spots - give some thought to your racking system.
gourd 11 Oct 2005
urban warrior 11 Oct 2005
In reply to connor:

really don't think you can beat the petzl ones. because of the spinny hanger as mentioned before which gives you a handle making placement as dexterically easy as the black diamond ones, but the hanger is stainless steel, and is not painted black (unlike the bd ones) this means the hanger does not absorb the suns heat and get hotish helping to melt your pacement out. it sounds a bit extreme but trust me it does happen and the petzl ones do make a difference at times when this is going to happen.

The black diamond ones were the best, because they were ot 2 years or so ahead of the petzl and the grivels. But now they have been surpassed.
OP connor 11 Oct 2005
In reply to heidimountaingirl: by the way i live in scotland
OP connor 11 Oct 2005
In reply to urban warrior: serious thought needs to go into this. i think i mite just go into rock and run in ambleside next time im in england and buy a selection or.........

nick my dads
always the good option

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...