UKC

Salomon footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Parker 09 Oct 2005
Used Salomon stuff a lot until a couple of years ago for running, walk-ins etc. About the most comfy things I ever had on my feet, but they always seemed to fall apart pretty quickly, which started getting a bit expensive. This was the experience of several others around the same time. Are they any more durable these days?
 coinneach 09 Oct 2005
In reply to Steve Parker:

Still wearing Salomon walking boots from 10 years ago.......they leak like sieves but boy are they comfy
Iain Ridgway 09 Oct 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: They are OK, but think they've gone for the look functional rather than being functional. A bit gimmicky IMO.

I'm wearing these chris Brasher, innov8 fell shoes tyoe rip off, 25 quid from CCC in Hathersage, and they have been brilliant. Very light and wearing after 4 months hill/mountain running but perform very well on steep grass, muddy slopes.
OP Steve Parker 09 Oct 2005
In reply to Iain Ridgway: Hmmm...
Iain Ridgway 09 Oct 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: Heard good things about Vasque (sp) trainers? not sure if you get them in the UK?
 Rob Naylor 09 Oct 2005

Bought some Salomon Exit Lows several years ago, just after they came out. They've been used and abused for years and only now are finally coming apart...good thing, really, as the treads are almost worn completely flat.

However, people I know who bought the same shoes a year or so later, after a switch of production location, found that they fell apart in no time. I've replaced mine with Raichle shoes, as the Salomons I was looking at seemed very badly finished for the price.
trevor simpson 09 Oct 2005

I also find Saloman shoelaces much easier to tie than other makes
 Norrie Muir 09 Oct 2005
> Used Salomon stuff a lot until a couple of years ago for running, walk-ins etc. About the most comfy things I ever had on my feet, but they always seemed to fall apart pretty quickly,

Dear Steve

There may be no trouble with the footwear, but, your sweaty feet.

Norrie
Iain Ridgway 09 Oct 2005
 Richard Carter 10 Oct 2005
salomon used to makes the soles of their trainers from old f1 tires. who cares how long they last with stuff that cool :-p
Iain Ridgway 10 Oct 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: http://www.vasque.com/products/m-velocity.cfm

These, I'm looking at a pair for my next trail shoe.
 BruceM 10 Oct 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:
I agree that although earlier models fitted and functioned well, they lasted barely a few months when you pushed them. The Expert Lows that came out a year or so ago ARE different. I've been wearing them outdoors on every trip for a year and a half and have another pair as my daily "business" shoes (uppers starting to go after one solid year but soles still perfect). They're also better than earlier models out on the hill: the sole has fantastic lateral stability.
O Mighty Tim 10 Oct 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: I have a 5 year old pair of Exit Lows, and I bought them as 'last years' end of line clearance, kind of thing. They are fine, but the rubber foam between sole and footbed seems to have decomposed, or died, or something, as it's just falling apart!
I tend to use them as gardening boots now.
I have a pair of SM8s that I think will outlive me!

TTG
weemee 10 Oct 2005

Yeah I love Salomon too. The only boots (Adventure 6 GTX) ever I can wear out of a box and not get blisters and not turn my ankles every two seconds. I've found after an absolute uonding constatntly for the last 3 years that the foam between the upper and sole is starting to leak and disintegrate, but cannae grumble.

The only thing that frustrates me is the their amazing ability to be slippy in wet conditions compared to other brands. Anyone else find this? Has the compound for the outsole changed? Is it any less slippy? I'd like to get a new pair , but am swithering a wee bit because of this.
 Bob Hughes 10 Oct 2005
In reply to Iain Ridgway: are you THE Ian?
Hotbad Peteel 10 Oct 2005

same here, partly because there not built to last like say zamberlan/scarpa etc and partly because I wear them all the time. I've got a pair of blue died salomon boots that were the best boots i'd ever worn at the time but now feel horrid as the leathers loosened off to much. I'm currently weaqring a pair of brown reverse hide boots at work and i've had them for about 5 years worn all the time with no problem. The raid running shoes do fall apart a bit but they take a hell of a hammering first, if only they still did the fully waterproof lined ones they did 6 years ago.
p
 Y Gribin 10 Oct 2005
That's been exactly my experience. The older Salomans lasted me for years. The newer ones are very comfy to wear and require no 'breaking in' but they wear out quicker. A friend of mine who works for leather-tanning company said that shoes-makers are constantly balancing using thin leather for comfort and thicker leather for durability. I think Salomon have gone a bit too much towards 'comfort'. Also the fact that they bring out so many models suggests they're concentrating less on quality.

....having said all that, my original Super Mtn 9s are the best boots I've ever owned.
 soveda 10 Oct 2005
In reply to RichardBennett:
My old X-Mountain boots are still going strong after nearly 8 years of abuse. The prices don't seem to have gone up that much and I wonder at times whether this is to do with quality of materials. I haven't tried the equivalent boot now (don't need new ones) so this is rather moot!

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/243713||@cOutdoor%20Foot...

is the current model
Ade
LetoII 10 Oct 2005

My solomon exit lows were pretty bad, the heel had a habit of cracking and slicing the backs of your heels, and the backs were also really stiff until you took a rock or hammer to the backs of them. I do however use salomon mountain boots and I like them. Currently into merrells for trainers, very comfy and long lasting, especially the xcr ones.
 Howard J 10 Oct 2005

I had a pair of the original Exit Lows, they were brilliant and lasted for an acceptable time given the abuse they took. I've had two pairs since which weren't as good (why do they have to change a design that works?) and fell apart within a few months (although in fairness I wore one pair to Everest Base Camp and back). I've given up on them now and bought another make.

I also have a pair of Pro Thermics and one of the lace hooks came off on the plane to Kathmandu! Luckily the boots lasted out the trip and Salomon replaced them under the guarantee, but that's not quite the point when your heading to 6000m!

So my conclusion is: good designs but let down by dodgy manaufacturing.
chunders 11 Oct 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: Boots are great but the lugs pulled out after 3 years. However Salomon replaced foc with a new pair. Cant get much better service than that.
Remember that all these companies are set up to manufacture not to repair, so if kit fails then send it back and likely as not you'll get a new product.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...