UKC

Outdoor designs Ultraflex glove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 24 Oct 2005
These are on a good fofer at the mo but apparently theyre not brilliantly warm.

Has anyone got/had a pair? Any comments?

Cheers,
Si
 Erik B 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH: wheres the offer? they are excellent man, ideal for belaying and seconding as well as leading up to grade V mixed. JUST warm enough though, dont expect to have toastie hands.. fall apart quickly though but seam gripping them will make them last longer..
luke_brown 24 Oct 2005
Not used them myself, but have seen the offer on needlesports I think?

What about using them with a mit over the top? Thus keeping hands warm when just walking around etc and then with the mit off, able to use the gloves for climbing?
In reply to Si dH:

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=115463

I've just got a pair of these gloves from this link They are called extreme conditions gloves. They were about £16 inc. p&p. They've got fleece lining, spandex type backs and leather/ suede reinforced palms.
Obviously they are not sold as climbing gloves but they seem good compared to £40 - £50.
OP Si dH 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Erik B:
Theyre 29.99 at needlesports, supposedly down fr om74.99!

I think I might get a pair and make sure I always have liner swith me in case I need them, but Im worried decent liners would ruin the dexterity of them so wouldnt want to rely on using the mall the tim if possible.

Unfortunately keswicks not really any good for trying them on...any idea what the sizings like?

Si
OP Si dH 24 Oct 2005
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:
Yer certainly a good price! I dont think theyre at all waterproof though? While I realise my hands are always going to get wet in scotland I prefer to put the moment off as long as possible
In reply to Si dH:

I used to use neoprene cycling gloves from Halfords, but now they've stopped making them. I was looking round for cheaper alternative to these hugely expensive climbing gloves when I spotted these on the net. Although they don't claim to be waterproof they are thin enough to be useable when fiddling with gear. They are also cheap enough to be replaced without worrying too much. If my hands are cold at belays I'll just wear mitts with pile lining for that.
RobE 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

My mate bought a pair on a similar deal at an outdoor shop earlier this year. After just two days climbing in Cogne they were trashed - seams coming apart and the rubber grippy bits peeling off. Bag o shite. I'd have been well miffed if I'd paid £70-odd for them.

sutty 24 Oct 2005
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

Google thinsulate and see if any of those suit, I have a pair of these bought for about £7 off the market;

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product-Stormlite-Thinsulate-Gloves-11440.htm
OP Si dH 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Erik B:
Sorry for being ignorant but what do you mean by seam gripping?
 Erik B 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH: seam grip as in the highly toxice rubebry glue stuff used for seaming seals (dont breath in the fumes)
Anonymous 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

looks like a lot of people are getting into the market for gloves and mitts now... I use thin powershield softshell gloves for leading on ice, which works qlthough obviously my fingers get auite cold. For this season I want to get myself mitts for belaying. Thick fleece or pile mitts would be warm enough, but fall apart quickly. Shell mitts like the Mammut covermitt are tough, but not insulated. Can't be bothered wearing a fleece:pile iner and a shell, that's bulky. I want simple mitts that are really warm, with a tough reinforced palm and - inexpensive. I don't care about waterproofness. Does anyone make mitts like that? What kind of mitts do you guys use?
In reply to Erik B:

>glue stuff used for seaming seals

You git. I'm going to get Rolf Harris onto you.
Anonymous 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

I've got a pair which you can try on if you want, to get an idea. I think mine are size small, but I wouldn't swear by it, and they fit very snugly.

I've not used them in anger yet, bought them over Easter. I bought them a fairly tight fit, cos I got used to my old gloves which I could tie laces etc with, and missed that when I started using the lobster mitts. I'm planning to use them for leading, and then I've got that big pair of lobster mitts for seconding and belaying, where the dexterity isn't as much of a worry.

Let me know if I need to bring them anywhere ofr you,

AJM in the lab
Anonymous 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

come on! I know I'm just an anonymous peering into these forums, but I really don't want to freeze my fingers off this winter, so please do tell me how you do it - what kind of mitts do you wear to heat up your hands while you belay your second?
OP Si dH 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
Brilliant Andy, can you bring them to the pub tomorrow night? Ill let you know if Im not going to make it for some reason. Cheers mate.
OP Si dH 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Anonymous: Ive never had any mitts, I just have 2 or 3 pairs of gloves and swap them when one pair gets wet. Im thinking of getting some though.
Anonymous 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

i guess you'll experience the same kind of trouble as me then: loads of huge bulky expensive mitts on the market, which i would only ever consider because unlike cheap (but warm) pile or fleece mitts they ARE durable enough for belaying.

or are dachstein mitts the solution?

john
Anonymous 24 Oct 2005
In reply to john:

Belaying shouldn't trash things too fast, I wouldn't have thought.

I use Outdoor Designs Ultraflex lobster mitts which I bought last year. Nice and warm, except for the index finger which can get a wee bit chilly at times. But a super thick pair of walkers mitts should do you. If they weren't so damned slippery I'd recommend buffalo mitts, but I'd be too scared to belay anyone with those because the Pertex is so slippery.

In reply to: Si_dH:

Yeah, I'll bring them along. You might be wise to remind me tomorrow afternoon/evening though.

AJM in the lab
 NIGBEE 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

They are good Si

I bought a pair a couple of years back, as said they are just warm enough (depending on conditions of course, sometimes they are too warm), quite dextrous and the palm is very grippy

I have just bought a new pair and they seem more fleecy inside than before so maybe they are a bit warmer now

I would recommend them
In reply to Si dH:

My concern with gloves for winter is that I only get about 3 or 4 multi pitch routes out of a set of gloves before they are trashed.
Are folk routinely buying a new set of £70 gloves every handful of routes they do?!
 HimTiggins 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

I used them last winter and was very impressed. I wear them with a silk liner, and find I still have plenty of dexterity. I don't suffer too badly but don't have the warmest hands, but found these to be warm enough. No hot aches all winter I carry a pair of mitts too incase it gets really cold. I found the knuckle padding really good, but then I did have straight shafted axes last season, so the padding probably made more of a difference. I read the comments about them falling apart pretty quick, but I used mine all last season (~20 routes?) and they've still got plenty of life left in them. So, I guess I'm saying I recomend them. Get them small for you hand size. I don't have particularly small hands, but find the XS the best size for me!
 Ali 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH: I got a pair to take to Greenland - pretty good, bit long in the fingers for me (but all gloves are!) which reduced dexterity a little but otherwise fine. Usually worse my powerstretch liners underneath. When it was v cold I still went for the dachstein mitts though!
 Will1 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH: These gloves are the dogs. I have two pairs. You have to watch the sizing though. Mine are a lge but when tried some on at NS I needed a med. There are a couple of different lining about as well, all very thin. Gloves get wet and cold no matter what. These ones will protect you from the elements and let you place gear. When your hands get cold, tough it out till they warm up or put another pair on, it’s the only way. Obviously apply plenty of seam grip whatever gloves you buy.
 Will1 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Will1: Also I forgot to add, make sure they match your jacket. There’s no bigger fashion faux pas than you gloves and jacket clashing.
OP Si dH 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Will1:
Where can you get seam grip from guys? What sort of shops? I feel totally hopeless...
Cheers
 Ali 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH: I presume he means seam sealant....try open air, otherwise I think we've got some in the shop i could get for you and post down
OP Si dH 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Ali:
Ooh isnt it great knowing someone in an outdoor shop

While we're at it can you get me half price on a new pair of gloves, some seam sealant, a set of BD swedges and a soft-shell jacket please :oP

Only kidding! Ill let you know if I cant find any of this sealant stuff when I get the gloves, cheers
 Will1 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH: No dude i mean seam grip;
http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=549
mike dunn 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH: Awkward to pull on to damp hands.
 Ali 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Will1: Oh ok, that looks like the stuff we've got
 TobyA 25 Oct 2005
Anonymous 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

here's the anonymous again (seems I can't stay logged in, sorry).

would you guys advise me to use dachstein mitts for belaying? i still can't be bothered to buy an expensive heavy mitt that would be both warm and durable. so the idea is to use dachstein mitts, which are a third of the price of those heavy duty mammuts, and simply buy a new pair when they fall apart. would you say dachsteins are up to the job, that is, are they warm enough and reasonably durable? i know they're not waterproof, but the needlesporrts website says they are warm when wet because an icy film forms on them when they freeze.

norrie hinted somewhere that he uses dachsteins only.

john
OP Si dH 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
Dachsteins are warm, and they are really good when its cold enough for ice to form on them in a layer. I also think they will probably last longer than most expensive gloves: theres less on them to break.
However, theres no grip to them - I cant climb in dachsteins because theyslip down my axe handle too easily - so they might not be great for belaying - and also, if its just above freezing level, theyre a bit useless because the ice/snow layer on the mmelts, you end up with soaked hands and soaked gloves/mitts, and if its also windy, your hands are in for a very chilly time.
OP Si dH 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:
P.S. I have the gloves but the mitts are the same material so will sufer those same too problems, bu no doubt will be warmer.
Anonymous 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Si dH:

thanks! no easy and cheap solution then.

sounds like the dachsteins need to be worn with a shell mitt while belaying (to improve grip) and in warmer/windy conditions (to keep hands warm).

perhaps it makes sense to skimp on the shell mitts too. there are cheap ones around, which again one could simply bin and replace when they're worn.

then i could use powershield gloves while climbing, stick them somewhere warm on my body while belaying and change into dachsteins plus shell mitts if needed.

sounds like the cheapest and simplest solution to me. or is there a catch?

john
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Dear Anonymous

You don't need to have waterproof overmitts with Dachsteins. If, you are comportable climbing with gloves then putting on the Dachsteins, then fine, I just have the one pair for climbing and belaying. A wee tip, sew an old lace onto the mitts, so you have wrist loops, this saves you dropping them.

Norrie
Anonymous 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Norrie Muir:

OK, Norrie, so you're saying that it's not really a problem when Dachsteins get wet in temperatures just above zero or cold when it's windy? And you find that they have enough grip for belaying?

John
 Norrie Muir 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Dear Anonymous

In over 30 years in the Scottish hills, I've never had cold hands when wearing Dachsteins, that is why I went back to wearing them. They are fine for belaying, in soft snow, the mitts get wet, but your hands are still warm.

Norrie
 TobyA 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Anonymous: I think any decent mitt will keep your hands warm, that's what mitts are good at. But they're not good for climbing anything technical in. Dachsteins are fine but they do wear out, I've seen thumbs wear through and also at the angle between your thumb and fingers. Dachs work perfectly well but so do more modern nylon/pile options, some of which are cheaper and more hardwearing.

I've still got a pair of Wild Country goretex mitts that I bought in 1991 and they're still fine, and a bit more grippy than dachsteins. I bought some modern Extremities goretex mitts a couple of winters back with a very grippy rubber palm. They cost £18 from TKmaxx. The ones I carry most are also Extremities but very basic. Some non-goretex material with pile lining, called something like "walkers mitt". Very warm, very light, a bit tougher than buffalo ones and again cost about 12 quid in a bargin bin.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...