UKC

An extra-ordinary obituary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
grumpytramp 16 Nov 2005
I picked up on this onituary from Richard Allan and Jane Garvey on Five Live this evening. An obitaury in todays Daily Telegrapgh for Lady Sibell Rowley, who was a member of the family that inspired Evelyn Waugh to write his Brideshead Revisited. She lived an extra-ordinary life (and in fashion that seems untenable in the modern world)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/...

My favourite section reads "The daughters, aware of their father's nocturnal prowlings, would sometimes advise their boyfriends to lock their bedroom doors. Lord Beauchamp once complained at breakfast: "He's very nice that friend of yours, but he's damned uncivil!" Unfortunately, the problems proved more serious, concerning incidents with footmen, and as a result of a campaign instigated by his brother-in-law, Bendor, Duke of Westminster, Lord Beauchamp was forced into exile in Europe. The Duke tried to explain the circumstances to his sister, Lady Beauchamp, who failed to grasp the essentials. "Bendor says that Beauchamp is a bugler," she announced.

In reply to grumpytramp:

Brilliant! My Dad loves that sort of thing. I've emailed him the link.
Kipper 16 Nov 2005
In reply to grumpytramp:

I heard this too. Does sound like an amazing (unrepeatable?) life experience.
 KeithW 16 Nov 2005
In reply to grumpytramp:

Somone lent me a book of Telegraph obits. It's full of gems like this, mostly hilarious. Great bedtime reading!
Mike Simmonds 17 Nov 2005
In reply to grumpytramp:
"Lady Sibell...She had no children."
But a bloody good time by the sound of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...