UKC

Peak performance just before getting flu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
xyz 17 Dec 2005
I've been laid up in bed for two days with traditional winter flu. The day before the symptoms really flared up I was climbing at the wall and probably put in my best performance for a couple of weeks, I felt strong, had loads of stamina and power. I have noticed this trend over the years where I seem to climb really well just before coming down with a cold or flu. I was wondering if there is a physiological reason for this and has anyone else experienced this?
 Rampikino 17 Dec 2005
In reply to xyz:

I've been trying to monitor this mate, I record my indoor results and I can't figure it out. The only link I can see is poor performance with lack of energy/food. Anything else is a mystery. I've had times where I've gone to the wall and been absolutely full of beans, been able to lead route after route after route and been kicked out of the wall at closing time still gasping for more. Then other times I can't get going. Not sure about the cold/flu situation, perhaps the body is turning up the heat to counter the flu and it transfers into the muscles... dunno!
Fishtrumpet 17 Dec 2005
In reply to xyz:
I'm no doctor, but perhaps you were overdoing it a bit at the wall, your immune system was streched a bit too thin and you developed a bit of a virus that your body would normally have been able to deal with.

Or maybe they are not washing their cups properly down at the wall and you caught it that way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...