UKC

Andy Cave - Learning to Breath

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KeithWakeley 07 Jan 2006
Got this for Christmas, read it by new year. Just wanted to say what a fantastic read and thoroughly recomended. I havn't enjoyed a climbing book as much as this one for a long while.

Keith
 practicalcat 07 Jan 2006
In reply to KeithWakeley:
is it worth paying out for the hardback (on offer at amazon) or carry on waiting for the paperback in march?
Rosie A 07 Jan 2006
In reply to KeithWakeley: THanks Keith, I bought it as a present so might just Indian-borrow it back!
 Steve Parker 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Rosie A: Indian-borrow? New one on me. Is it racist?
 practicalcat 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Steve Parker:
it's what I do every year: but people books that you yourself want to read. The real classy thing is to borrow them back seconds after the person you gave them to has unwrapped them. I did this with the book I bought my dad this Christmas - although to be fair, he did have a few other books to read first, and I did ask first.....
 practicalcat 07 Jan 2006
In reply to practicalcat:
oops, 'buy', not 'but'
scawf vu 07 Jan 2006
In reply to KeithWakeley: Agreed. Also, from 2005 BT list, Mick Fowlers book is a great read. Lots of variety re. locations, witty and he's a very modest writer.

Would like to read the Whillans book, but can't stand Perrins writing style!

Iain
Rosie A 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Steve Parker: Don't know, I made it up from Indian-giver. Someone who gives a present and then wants it back. Oh yeah, suppose it is racist. Sorry!
 Steve Parker 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Rosie A: What kind of Indian does it refer to?
 Ridge 07 Jan 2006

Maybe native-american-borrow might be more acceptable. I suppose I shouldn't use Egyptian PT either...
 sutty 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Ridge:

Probably better not do Egyptians when climbing either, or put up blackout curtains for film shows.
 Steve Parker 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Ridge: Never heard of that one either. What does that mean?
 vankampen 07 Jan 2006
Finished reading that, the villian and mick fowlers book - it is amazing how much you can read when you are meant to be revising...

I thought all of them were good books, but thought Andy Caves was amazing. It read like a Joe Simpson book, but the story he had to tell was incredible.

I found the Villain a bit heavy with information, it was quite hard to digest it all but still a very interestring read.

The Mick fowler book was also good, prehaps not as literate as the other two, but really interesting stories. I did find it infuriating how he constantly claims to be bad at climbing, claiming that it is poor to fall of an E5, at least he can get on one!
Wingman@work 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Adam Rooke:

yeah - that was something that I thought reading the book - he is very self depreciating - yet his record speaks for itself!!
 Ridge 07 Jan 2006

Egyptian PT = Sleeping. Quite racist really.
 Steve Parker 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Ridge: Ha ha! Quite good too.
 ANDY HUDSON 07 Jan 2006
In reply to practicalcat:
> (In reply to KeithWakeley)
> is it worth paying out for the hardback (on offer at amazon) or carry on waiting for the paperback in march?

it's worth paying out yes, am currently reading it and thoroughly enjoying it. I think this is Andy Cave's first attempt at writing a book? and hope it won't be the last
 Simon 07 Jan 2006
In reply to ANDY HUDSON:

been searching for Pritchards new book - not to be found anywhere!

anyone have it??

si
 vankampen 07 Jan 2006
In reply to Wingman@work:
that is what is so annoying! he is one of the best alpinists in the world but speaks as if the climbs he does anyone could do, whereas and cave made them sound bloody dangerous!
 Angusthewestie 07 Jan 2006
Agreed, excellent book! Bought it for my husband for Christmas, then started reading it myself and couldn't put it down.

I'm not a superstar Alpinist and never will be, but it certainly inspired me to get fitter and enjoy the great outdoors more this year!

I looked for the Boardman book, as recommended, in the Lakes last week and couldn't find it. Any info? Is it out of print?

Cheers, Judith
mm548 07 Jan 2006

i think this thread has made me want to read it.
In reply to Adam Rooke:

That is the strength of Cave's book, and why it won the B-T.
gecko74 07 Jan 2006

like a lot of folk i got this, the mick fowler book and the villain for chrimbo, yet to dive in to any of them, which should i read first?

I'm also put off reading 'the Villain' by Perrin's style. Is his verbose magazine article writing style as bad in a full book?

Davie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...