UKC

King Kong wintor's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 23 Jan 2006
What grade is this now? Is it just the start that has changed? i.e. would it be possible aid the start and climb the rest at HVS.
Ta.
 Paul Robertson 23 Jan 2006
In reply to David Coley:
Personally, I don't think the start is that much harder than the rest of the route.
But see http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=155324

GrahamD 23 Jan 2006
In reply to David Coley:

A lot of people aided the start even when it was HVS ! a right sod, from memory. I haven't done it post fall so I'm not sure how feasible it is to aid although any reports I've seen don't make it sound too bad now its cleaned up a bit.

Excellent route, BTW
 Wil Treasure 23 Jan 2006
In reply to GrahamD:
It's still feasible to aid that part. In reality the moves into the groove are a lot easier than you think they're going to be.
I'd probably rate the route as an E1 though, never did it before rockfall to compare.
 GrahamD 23 Jan 2006
In reply to katonka:

It was bordering on E1 before (it would certainly have got E1 if it was at Pembroke)
 Paz 23 Jan 2006
In reply to GrahamD:

I always seem to get involved with this. Anyway my new insight is thus:

It's the best part of a grade easier than Corrie.
OP David Coley 24 Jan 2006
In reply to Paz:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> I always seem to get involved with this. Anyway my new insight is thus:
>
> It's the best part of a grade easier than Corrie.

Is Corrie a route at Wintors?
 cornishben 24 Jan 2006
In reply to David Coley: no, its an E1 at cheddar
 beardy mike 24 Jan 2006
In reply to cornishben: Although Cheddar is at Cheddar which I'd say is the best part of a grade harder than everywhere else. What with climbing in a puffer with frozen fingers and all
 GrahamD 24 Jan 2006
In reply to Paz:

I'm happy to accept HVS - after all its the historical grade and there is always an overlap between the top of one grade and the bottom of another.

As for Corrie, not done it so can't comment. Coronation St and Consolation (easy finish) are all I've done at Cheddar.
 cornishben 24 Jan 2006
In reply to mike kann: apologies, i thought that Corrie was used as a term of endearment for Coronation Street at Cheddar. And mike, cheddar is indeed at cheddar, although frozen fingers?? you should have been there in the sun last sunday, lovely
 beardy mike 24 Jan 2006
In reply to cornishben: Eh? I never said Corrie wasn't a term of endearment (although there's nothing dear or precious about it I seem to remember... I was in North Wales on Sunday freezing my tits off... I actually had to use a compass for real for the first time in a while!
 beardy mike 24 Jan 2006
In reply to cornishben: Just read the previous post through... doh...
 GrahamD 24 Jan 2006
In reply to mike kann:

Is Corrie shorthand for Coronation St ? in which case I'd say its only 1/2 a grade harder than KK.
 beardy mike 24 Jan 2006
In reply to GrahamD: Yep. As in "I watched Corrie the other day"...
JRobertson 24 Jan 2006
In reply to GrahamD:

What's the Coronation St traverse like now the Shield is no longer with us?
 beardy mike 24 Jan 2006
In reply to JRobertson: Haven't done it since it was reduced in size but by all accounts not much has changed really. Was never really the crux of the route anyway (well except psycologically maybe...)
JRobertson 24 Jan 2006
In reply to mike kann:

Certainly was the crux for the second though!
 GrahamD 24 Jan 2006
In reply to mike kann:

Ahh right - I'm with you. I would certainly say that Coronation Street at E1 is a lesser proposition than King Kong at HVS (IE 'Corrie' is mid E1, KK is top HVS)
 GrahamD 24 Jan 2006
In reply to JRobertson:

The shield was there when I did it, but by all accounts it hasn't affected things too much, especially the belay at the end which I seem to remember being the hardest bit to set up !
 ChrisJD 24 Jan 2006
In reply to David Coley:

You looking for some more routes to pull big blocks off?
OP David Coley 26 Jan 2006
In reply to ChrisJD:
No, just anything I might be able to get up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...