UKC

Figrure of 9 knot....What's all that about..??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Keith Roughley 30 Jan 2006
Just reading Andy Kirk's article in Climb No 12 in which he recommends a 'figure of 9' knot on dodgy winter belays.......

Please educate me...I've never heard of it...??
 Kate 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Keith Roughley: here's a description here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure-of-nine_loop
 Andy S 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Keith Roughley:
Always easy to undo, even if it's been loaded, like, alot. I use it sometimes, it's good!
In reply to Andy S:

Can you please explain in practical terms and in a sort of viual sense how you tie it....???
 Norrie Muir 30 Jan 2006
> Please educate me...I've never heard of it...??

Dear Keith

You've heard of grade creep, well this is knot creep.

Norrie
 Pedro50 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Keith Roughley)
> [...]
>
> Dear Keith
>
> You've heard of grade creep, well this is knot creep.
>
> Norrie

Or not apparently

emo 30 Jan 2006
figure of 8 with an extra 180deg turn before puttin loop through. Doesnt look like a 9 just a figure of speech
 Craig Geddes 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Keith Roughley: Is particuarly good for rigging a belay that its going te be repeatedly loaded such as with a group or when several people are abseiling. Is very useful for tying in long slings that are being used to equalise as over cinching can be a real problem.

It's good for the main anchor on a static line, when jumaring/abseiling with a very heavy camera load etc.
 Andy S 31 Jan 2006
Yeah emo's right. Go to tie a figure eight, but before you put the end through the hole, go round and put it through the other side instead.
Pollitt 31 Jan 2006
In reply to Keith Roughley: Figure 9 is used by CUI in canada. they love it. Its suposed to be easy to undo but i find it just the same as a figure 8
karl walton 31 Jan 2006
I think in knot terms a figure of 9 'is to' a figure of 8 what a figure of 8 'is to' a figure of 4.
If that makes sense?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...