UKC

The best troll of recent times...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alun 02 Feb 2006
Yesterday's thread "someone has bolted my developed trad routes" (see here http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=166464) is one of the best examples of a troll that we've seen in recent times, and for all you budding trollsters out there, it's worth paying attention to the master craftsmanship. Okay there's only been 94 replies, but this is a 'classic' troll - PinkPixie only posted once to start the thread, and that's a 94-1 hit rate - pretty impressive.

So how did he/she do it? Let's break it down...

> I have recently found out that someone aka Rich from the orange house has bolted some trad routes that i developed near Finestrat in Spain

Masterful. A superb opening line combining familiarity with unfamiliarity. While the actual subject is as old as houses, using Crag X (if it actually exists!) in Spain guarantees that 99.99% of ukc users will not be able to post from a position of authority, as they have never heard of the place, let alone been there. The use of Spain muddies the ethical waters as the bolting policy there is very different to the UK. Note also the use of Rich (of Orange House fame), a name that people are familiar with, and a little hook to goad those people who may wish to defend him.

> one of the routes he's bloody bolted was my first trad route that i lead as a first ascent.

A clarion call to arms! This simple sentence will instantly reel in the small but vocal UKC ethics mafia (who we will call 'Camp A' for this discussion). The twist of it being the person's first trad route adds extra spice.

> Many of the routes he's bolted follow classic trad lines of modest grade

Very subtle, yet remarkably effective. This sentence provides extra fuel for those who will disagree with Camp A (thus, 'Camp B'). Their obvious argument is the "eveyrthing is bolted in Spain" but the above sentence lets them also use the "who cares about some easy trad routes?" argument! Both are contentious points that Camp A will argue to the death.

> What do you reckon i should do? demand he takes his bolts out? demand he removes his route descriptions from his website?

A deceptive last hook to reel in a third group of people ('Camp C') who don't really care what's happened but who's natural response is "why not contact Rich directly to discuss this, instead of posting anonymously on an internet forum?", a point which of course Camp A will happily discuss. I think perhaps this is only weakness in the troll though - PinkPixie got too greedy! To experienced troll-watchers, this sentence really gives the game away. Nonetheless it did bring in a few more posts, so the gamble paid off to a certain extent.

Note the subtle things as well such as the timing (6pm - early evening, just before people start a bottle of wine to get their tongues - or fingers - loosened up), and the sensationalist tone of the writing, which nevertheless is mostly grammatically correct.

In conclusion then, this is a fine example of the art of trolling. PinkPixie is a 'traditionalist' and has commendably resisted to urge to repost (so far) thus making this a real classic of the genre. A point is docked for the greedy (yet admittedly effective) final line, but this should take anything away from what is a fine effort.

9/10
OP Alun 02 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:
PS In the unlikely event that this isn't a troll, the above points are still valid, because it would be a good troll!
rich 02 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun: what's your analysis of by Big Steve's post of 21:10 Wed?
OP Alun 02 Feb 2006
In reply to rich:

> what's your analysis of by Big Steve's post of 21:10 Wed?

for those who can't be arsed to look, it reads:

> If Pink Pixie is who I think it is, he is a she, and the trad routes should not have been bolted just like that

It demonstrates the genius of the troll craftsmanship. There are plenty of people who have visited and climbed in that area of Spain, and so may have think they know what's going on, but they can't be sure. Big Steve was hardly posting from a position of strong authority, or if he was, he didn't make the most of it.

Note also that the retrobolting may well have happened, but that PinkPixie has just decided to make a troll out of it.

And further note the caveat in my second post - the whole situation may well be true - but it would still be an excellent troll if it wasn't.
 sutty 02 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:

Good troll, orange house never replied so must have been in on the troll to not get involved. That is where it falls down.
 bluebrad 02 Feb 2006
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Alun)
>
> Good troll, orange house never replied so must have been in > on the troll

Or maybe they sussed that it was a troll way before the majority of RT'ers did.

bluebrad

OP Alun 02 Feb 2006
In reply to sutty:
> Good troll, orange house never replied so must have been in on the troll to not get involved

The thought occurred to me that PinkPixie may well in fact be either Rich or Sam from the Orange house.
Sam M 02 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:

I am pissing myself laughing at the moment and cant drink my morning coffee, I cant wait for Rich to get home he will love all this publiclity.

It was not me that started the post I was a Kickboxing with my lad!!

Sam lol ORange
Sam M 02 Feb 2006
In reply to Sam M:

Can we figure out who the troll in question is?

Sam
 Norrie Muir 02 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:
> Yesterday's thread "someone has bolted my developed trad routes"

Dear Alun

It is alleged.

Norrie
 Kenny 03 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:

Dear Alun,

Don't you have work to do?

Kenny
 malk 03 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:

Dear Alun,

Eat your hat

M
 Rich M 03 Feb 2006
In reply to malk:

Even though we have a name etc, we still believe this to be a troll!!

Sam Orange
 pottsworth 03 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:

YAWM!

If you have so much time to analyse someones posts in detail, dont you think tour in the wrong job
Yorkspud 03 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:

Its fairly immaterial if most peopele haven't been there - if you make trolls too believable then you stop playing on gullibility and start exploiting peoples assumption you are telling the truth by being mendacious.

1/10
 pottsworth 03 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:
ps, troll...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...