UKC

hooray,Prana now do Organic Cotton T-shirts...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 07 Feb 2006
I saw some in the shop at the foundry tonight.

Did you know that the average normal cotton t-shirt is a quarter pesticides and not so nice chemicals by the time you wear it?

Buy Organic...

Tim
 Ri 07 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:
> I saw some in the shop at the foundry tonight.
>

>
> Buy Organic...
>
>
> Tim

why?
 practicalcat 07 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:
howies do nice organic ones, too. I buy them on the sale.
 54ms 07 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:

I'd like more companies to do hemp clothing and to experiment with blending it with other fabrics. It's comfortable, long lasting, although like cotton it can be a bit slow to dry. At one point most of England would have worn hemp clothing.
 practicalcat 07 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri:
..google it: non-organic cotton farming is a pretty toxic business.
 practicalcat 07 Feb 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:
(ok, I'm a secret hippy!)
I've found some good sources of hemp/cotton organic clothes - tend to be a bit pricey, so again it's wait for the sale...
 Ri 07 Feb 2006
In reply to practicalcat: (i do get the point, but i was trying to get him to make an argument for himself, then cruely cut him down piece by piece, but you've spoiled it now )
OP Timmd 07 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> why?

It's better for the environment,and for us.

This is from wiggle with some stuff about Howies T-shirts.

Howies aim to sell only T-shirts made from organic cotton. The average cotton t-shirt contains only 73% cotton - the rest is made up of chemicals and resins. The average cotton crop is sprayed 8-10 times a season - it takes 17 teaspoons of chemical fertilizers to raise the 9 ounces of cotton needed to make a shirt. 25% of the worlds total pesticide consumption is applied to fields of cotton, using chemicals that cause cancer and other diseases. Once the cotton has been harvested, it is then dyed with toxic dyes, then finished with formaldehyde to stop it creasing. Go Organic!

Cheers
Tim
 Ri 07 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd: why, i havent got cancer from wearing non-organice cotton t-shirts. And i dont reallyt care much if my shirts are crease free, might actually be better
 TRNovice 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:

Good old Liz Claiborne
 David Hooper 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd: Patagonia have used organic cotton and hemp for many years. I think they may be the biggest buyer of organic cotton.

More companies who are involved in the outdoors should put their environmental money where their mouths are.

Good on Prana.
 practicalcat 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri:
lucky old you. Shame about the people who have to work with the pesticides etc who develop respiratory problems, and the impact on the environent which eventually affects us all.
 Phil Anderson 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:
>
> Buy Organic...
>

That much is obvious. I need convincing why I should buy Prana though.
 54ms 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri:

Apparently cotton organic or not is not a great plant, it strips the soil of nuitrents and takes lots of water.
 GrahamD 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks, but I'd rather buy my T shirts from Oxfam.
Dave Hadler 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd: Know what you mean, ive had a patagonia one for AGES, and its still like new.
Crazy fact, bout the pesticides!
vickyhardy 08 Feb 2006
have a look at www.crookesclimbing.com they do hemp and organic stuff too me thinks
 Alun 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri:
> why, i havent got cancer from wearing non-organice cotton t-shirts

What a disgustingly selfish attitude.
ultra montane 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to Ri)
> [...]
>
> What a disgustingly selfish attitude.

Realistic though.
OP Timmd 08 Feb 2006
In reply to ultra montane:
> (In reply to Alun)
> [...]
>
> Realistic though.

How do you know it's realistic?

Cheers
Tim

Rubbishy 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:

Climbing magazine last month had a good article on how US climbing bbrands are trying to green themselves.

Patagonia came out the best, with BD a close second,
1 8 5721 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd: Prana at Prada prices to look like a god damn hippie
 idiotproof 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:

Someone told me that it would only cost 50p per t.shirt more to go organic. Is that realistic withy the reduced production etc. And if it true how come organic t shirts usually cost about £10 more?
OP Timmd 08 Feb 2006
In reply to idiotproof:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Someone told me that it would only cost 50p per t.shirt more to go organic. Is that realistic withy the reduced production etc. And if it true how come organic t shirts usually cost about £10 more?

I've no idea,probably because people will pay more for organic t-shirts.

Howies blank t-shirts seem to be normal t-shirt prices though. And ones from mec.ca in Canada.

http://www.howies.co.uk

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442...

Cheers
Tim
OP Timmd 08 Feb 2006
In reply to idiotproof:I remember ten years ago a normal stone monkey t-shirt was £20,or £25,and organic cotton t-shirts from howies at a normal price are £20 or £25,maybe it depends where you go to,as to how much you have to pay?

practicalcat 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Timmd:
I always buy the organic t-shirts on the sale for half price - howies have a sale at the moment.
However, second hand is even more eco-friendly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...