UKC

Pete Doherty - what a waste of space

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greg 13 Feb 2006
Does anyone else find his fame utterly mystifying? The Guardian printed some extracts from his prison diary on Saturday, which contained such gems as "Am I ever so mistaken or - oh distraction from some demonic banging ny a fellow incarcerated soul - is that the sun spreading its wares all over the looming wing?" and "These people can only put up with the tamed heroes - they don't know about heroism".

Well, Pete, the first tells me that you're a pretentious knob, well on the way to Private Eye's "Pseuds' Corner" column, and the second confirms it. It appears you think you're a hero and some people can't put up with you for that. How exactly are you a hero, Pete? How do being in a band and taking drugs make you a hero?

What a dork he is. Does anyone have a good word to say for him?
 CJD 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

I was talking about this with RD this weekend, after reading an article in Viz about how crack gets from Colombia to Pete Doherty, which was strangely intelligent for Viz...

I really don't understand why he's perceived to be such a hero by the press - even when they're trying to get 'scoops' on his drug habits, they still seem to be saying 'hey, it's cool to be Pete Doherty 'cause even if you're a crackhead, you get to go out with a supermodel'

and the Libertines were better than Babyshambles anyway.
 mark catcher 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg: whats he ever done on grit?
 CJD 13 Feb 2006
In reply to mark catcher:

probably tried to smoke it, i'd imagine.
StonedDeranger 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

I think he's an inspiration to thousands of scallies across the country. They see him and think all they have to do to be famous is to become a smack head and have no musical talent.
Nao 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:
I read his prison diaries in the Guardian and found them a bit boring... not that far from the sort of narcissistic twaddle I used to write as a teenager. But still. He's not doing anyone any harm other than himself, and even though I think he's a knob I really don't care if he wants to carry on taking heroin, crack or whatever it is he's poisoning himself with. If people want to take drugs it doesn't bother me. There's nothing glorious about it... it's just squalid.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

What disappoints me is that the Grauniad thinks this nonsense worthy of copy space, and even promotes it on the front page banner.

I too read it on Saturday.

Utter pretentious bollocks. Can anyone really think this guy is anything other than a smackhead with nothing to say? He certainly didn't come over as a master of creative writing and original thought to me....

Neil
 CJD 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Nao:
> (In reply to Greg)
> (...) I really don't care if he wants to carry on taking heroin, crack or whatever it is he's poisoning himself with. If people want to take drugs it doesn't bother me.

But what about the impressionable teenagers who might think that something is cool because Pete Doherty is doing it?
 54ms 13 Feb 2006
In reply to CJD:

Think you probably have to be more worried about their mates passing them the tin foil.
Nao 13 Feb 2006
In reply to CJD:
Come on, are teenagers really that dumb? Does Pete Doherty really serve as a role model to anybody?

If so then I'd be inclined to call it natural selection...
 CJD 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Nao:

If what I've read is right, there are quite a few websites dedicated to Doherty-as-deity...
 DougG 13 Feb 2006
In reply to CJD:

Doherty was even interviewed on C4 News on Friday (I think). Sometimes you just can't get your hands on the remote quickly enough.
Nao 13 Feb 2006
In reply to CJD:
Well, there are always dimwits around. It's up to the 'yoof' to decide whether they want to follow blindly or not. I would have thought pretty much everyone understood that Drugs Are Bad...

Reminds me of when Richey Manic carved '4 REAL' into his arm, and a few die-hard fans did the same. Like, duh.
Craig_M 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

> What a dork he is. Does anyone have a good word to say for him?

No.
 Tiggs 13 Feb 2006
In reply to CJD: I don't understand the Guardian/Observers fixation with him. They seem to want to represent him as some sort of modern day Byron when in fact he's a pathetic, badly behaved, dope head with a way with words (if you like that sort of thing). Have to say it makes me wonder about the Guardian's editorial policy - maybe they think they will appeal to the 'trendy' 20-30yr old market.
 54ms 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Nao:

A look at any town center on a Friday nights shows that the nice taxable drugs are as popular as ever.
 rotsoscooper 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg: There are two ways to see this as far as I'm concerned. One: He's a hopeless rolemodel. Two: He has as might right to make a mess of it all as the rest of us. The Media are the ones to blame, not Pete Doherty, it's celebrity that is the problem. I've been so horrendously pretentious in the past, a horrible person, self centered and far too opinionated for my own good and the only reason that I'm not being talked about in a similar way by people who don't know me is because I'm not famous. I for one consider myself pretty fussy on the music front but being a Tom Waits fan, most disagree, The Libertines gave me something new, haunting, tragic and joyous to listen to, I see folk, blues and good old punk in there and enjoy it greatly, however I don't give a good god damn about Pete Doherty, I just want him to release as much stuff as he can before he gets his last spike. I thank you.
 rotsoscooper 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg: Now bring it on....I'm ready....c'mon!
 54ms 13 Feb 2006
In reply to rotsoscooper:

Like you I don't give a dam about Pete Doherty. I think the whole cult of celeberty our soceity has going on is stupid.
 rotsoscooper 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: It's scary. A fine example would be Chantelle....wtf!?
 54ms 13 Feb 2006
In reply to rotsoscooper:

Who?
trevor simpson 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

> Does anyone have a good word to say for him?

That's how I want our rock stars to behave.

The Libertines with him in were f*cking excellent, as was "For Lovers" Babyshambles are a bit hit and miss though

Pacific 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

I think hes done some truly amazing songs with the Libertines and Shambybambles. Some shite as well by the way..

The media have built the persona that most people are familiar with these days. He was probably taking drugs long before he was famous..

Most peoples musical heroes are addicts in some shape or form. Just because Pete Doherty is front page news doesnt mean everyone else is pure as the driven snow does it?

I mean look at Leo Sayer - are you telling me hes not a skag head....?

Oh Pete D has rattled Kate Moss..which cant be bad can it...?
 The Pylon King 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

hes an untalented c*nt
 toad 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg: he isn't much to look at currently, that's for sure, and the Guardian piece were the ramblings of a 12 yr old goth with a mardy on, but...... let's see what (if anything) comes out the other side. It's not that he's untalented and he wouldn't be the first reformed smack head to produce fantastic work later in life. Lets see what kind of an artist he becomes if he manages to sort himself out. I think leaving the media alone would be a good start - I don't believe the Grauniad doorstepped him until he agreed to give them his prison diary - that was a terminally stupid move on his part, methinks
 Tyler 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Tiggs:

> in fact he's a pathetic, badly behaved, dope head with a way with words

Couldn't the same be applied to Byron himself?
 Tiggs 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Tyler: Well, having watched 'The Romantics', there is a remarkable likeness in their behaviour, could Kate Moss be a modern day Caro Lamb?

I think Doherty is playing on that likeness aspect. He did rather well in his GCSE's and A levels so will be familar with the Romantic Poets.

I see the late Jim Morrison as more Byronic than Doherty.
trevor simpson 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Tiggs:

> I see the late Jim Morrison as more Byronic than Doherty.

Morrison died when he was 27, as did Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain, Brain Jones and Ron "pigpen" McKernan.

Doherty is 26...

Mike Simmonds 13 Feb 2006
In reply to trevor simpson: Fingers crossed here for the tosser to top himself shortly so we can all forget about his wasted little self absorbed short life.
OP Greg 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Tiggs: Ah, a common thread is emerging - I think Morrison was an overrated pretentious to55er as well!
 Tiggs 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg: Maybe, but a tad more byronic than the prat Doherty
 biscuit 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

I think his fame lasts and spreads because people can't help talking about him - including yourself it would appear ;0)

As to how does being in a band and taking drugs make you a hero i am not going to bother reel off the list of hundreds of musicians, who many regard as heroes, who have taken enough drugs to stun a horse.This includes jazz, pop, rock and just about any other type of music you could mention - except possibly morris dancers - but you can never be sure.

Stop talking about him and he will go away
 biscuit 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

Does everyone who hates him read the Guardian ?

Are the two connected ?

He makes some brilliant songs - For Lovers was one of the best of last year in my opinion - and some absolute tripe. So did Bowie - who also took s**t loads of drugs and behaved very strangely.

He is a musician and a 'celebrity' whatever that may mean and it is un-surprising after boning Kate Moss and probably making pots of money that he thinks he's a bit special, mistaken or otherwise.

Leave him to it, he'll either disappear or make it huge and you can go back to reading your paper in peace, you don't need to worry i don't think he'll affect your life too much.
 Dominion 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Mike Simmonds:

> Fingers crossed here for the tosser to top himself shortly so we can all forget about his wasted little self absorbed short life.

Err... My favourite quote was Kurt Cobain's mum, suspecting that her son was going to join "the stupid club" - Hendrix, Morrison etc who died young, and are hero-worshipped still...

If Doherty does OD, then that might just be what he is aiming for.

Sad tw*t that he is.

I, personally, reckon - having read the quotes in the OP - is that the Guardian is taking the piss...

In fact, I might email their letters page, and ask them...
 biscuit 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Dominion: Am i the only one here who doesn't take the Guardian ?

Dominion 13 Feb 2006
In reply to biscuit:

No, because I don't get any newspaper. They do have a web-site, so I might have a look at that so I can point out all of their pretentious bolleaux about Doherty though...
 Tiggs 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Dominion: > I, personally, reckon - having read the quotes in the OP - is that the Guardian is taking the piss...
>
Sort of post-modern irony. Particularly as they put in on page 3 of the main section on Saturday. Or maybe they are now trying to present him as a modern day Oscar Wilde 'The Ballad of Pentonville' etc. I wish I could agree with you but there was another hyperbolic piece in the Observer Magazine about him last year. I suspect they've got someone who's a big fan on their editorial team....

> In fact, I might email their letters page, and ask them...

Oooh yes, do! I shall look out for it
 Marc C 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg: People can forgive 'stars' a lot (even bestiality with animals or egregious table manners) if they come up with 'the goods' (really great art, literature, music etc). I've not heard anything to suggest Doherty's rather moronic debauched public image is in any way redeemed by songs of surpassing brillance.
 Tyler 14 Feb 2006
In reply to Tiggs:

> see the late Jim Morrison as more Byronic than Doherty.

Don't you mean Lee Majors?
 viking 14 Feb 2006
In reply to Greg:

he writes and (sometimes) performs great songs; that's all

blame the media, not doherty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...