UKC

Competitions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Purnell 16 Feb 2006
Hi ya, I have been climbing for a year and a half or so and am at a good level. I am a boulderer although i can lead too. Have lead an indoors 7B. I am better at bouldering though but i dont know what grade i am. I am at uni and so at the moment am doing the uni comp (SCUIBL) and have gone to a few SIBL comps. I am leading the SCUIBL leaderboard at the moment with one comp to go. are there any other bouldering competitions around in more south to midlands of england and what level do you need to be at to do national comps? Can you recomnend anything?
In reply to Tom Purnell: Try asking the same question on UKbouldering?
 Andrew Barker 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Tom Purnell:

Ello Purnell its BAndy! I might not be any help at all but I'm bored at work! Just go for the BBC's, it would be a cool experience and going in with no expectations as to how well you'll do might make it more enjoyable anyway.

Just found this link:

http://www.northumberlandbouldering.co.uk/compsplywood.htm

At the bottom of the page are several dropdown menus which give info on comps, hope this helps!
OP Tom Purnell 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Tom Purnell:
Thanks Andy, does anyone know how difficult the problems are tho? Would i actually be able to do any? I think these are the questions i will find answers too when i see Gaz Perry and Neil Gresham at easter on the masterclass.
 Paz 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Tom Purnell:

Generally grades indoors aren't worth the chalk or ink they're written on. Some of them get round this by making their own system up or using british tech grades.
There're a few walls that I would expect have their grades sorted, The School, Boulder UK, (maybe even Nottingham?)
The hardest problems at SCUIBL were probably around 7a+, give or take a grade. Nudging in to english 6c (boulder) maybe.

Have you not bouldered outside much? You might well get spanked at first but you would probably be able to find a Font 7a+/7b you could climb. Maybe even Font 7b+ if you put the (days of) effort in. Soft 7c if you really got into it.

Isn't the obvious next step BUSA? They usually have one or two harder problems than SCUIBL.

I would've thought the problems in the finals of the BBC are set around the font 7b - 7c(+ or harder?) mark.
 zoobizooretta 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Tom Purnell:

get yourself to the manchester wall this friday for their bouldering league... it starts at 6 i think. Grade yourself there..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...