UKC

Thoughts on TNF Redpoint Optimus Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SebCa 26 Feb 2006
Anyone got one? Thoughts

Thanks In Adv
TeleN 26 Feb 2006
In reply to Jimbo MSider:
Had one for a year, used it more in the last 12 months than Ive used my down jacket in the last 5 years. Very very good bit of kit but use it like a warm fleece rather than a very earm belay jacket. For alpine use or ski touring / rock / winter climbing it is a must have item.
 UKC Forums 27 Feb 2006
This thread was started in the wrong forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 TobyA 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jimbo MSider: I've got one, wear it most days through the winter and have used it plenty as belay jacket whilst ice climbing - but what do you want to know? Be more specific and I can give you my opinions.

What do you want it for?
What type of conditions do you think you'll be using it in?
What alternatives are you considering?
What have you used in the past for that role?
OP SebCa 01 Mar 2006
In reply to TobyA:

> What do you want it for? Winter Mountaineering
> What type of conditions do you think you'll be using it in? No ice climbing just some snowie walking basically
> What alternatives are you considering? not really open to suggestions
> What have you used in the past for that role?
My berg winstopper an RAB event jacket, im looking for a fleece that is not really a fleece if you know what i mean, something that will compact really well but wont boil me when im on the move

Thanks In Adv
 TobyA 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Jimbo MSider: The redpoint optimus is mid-weight belay jacket DEFINITELY not a fleece replacement! It trimmer than say a DAS parka but not much so not designed to be worn under a shell. The normal redpoint might be more like that - but I don't know if TNF really make a light artificial fill sweater. I think Berghaus and Rab do though.
Stormmagnet 01 Mar 2006
In reply to TobyA: I have got an ordinary Redpoint, which is far too warm to be worn as a mid layer, unless it is baltic.
 Denni 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Stormmagnet: Definately good as a belay jkt on a cold dry day with a decent baselayer. Can also fit my helmet under the hood which is a bonus. Crap if it gets wet
adelaarvaren 01 Mar 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke:

Hood on a NF Redpoint? I've got one, no hood...
Stormmagnet 01 Mar 2006
In reply to adelaarvaren: The Redpoint Optimus has a hood, the Redpoint doesn't.
 Denni 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Stormmagnet: My fault! Optimus of course, too much of the black stuff last night.....
 Denni 01 Mar 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke:
Of course the thread is an Optimus....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...