UKC

Clachaig weekend - Winter Skills coaching.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 27 Feb 2006
If anyone's interested, Douglas Briton (Almost Sane) and myself are planning to do an informal basic winter skills day on Saturday 4th. This might be a good option for anyone coming up who doesn't have much/any winter experience and wants to learn a bit of self-reliance prior to getting on winter climbs for the first time.

If you're interested, please email so that I can get a handle on numbers and discuss what equipment you will need.

Please note that this is not a paying proposition for us and that we are in no way gaurunteeing anyone's personal safety.
Geoffrey Michaels 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.:

Hi Jamie,

Do you have some slings and krabs of mine?
 Glyn Jones 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: got mail
 marie 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: Oh, I dont know what I want to do now

:oS

Can you put me as a possible please...

I'll email you too
OP Jamie B 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Donald M:

Possibly; my gear's in a bit of a bourach at the moment and there are some strange bits and pieces in the box. Can you describe?
Geoffrey Michaels 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.:

Yes. 1 or 2 beal yellow slings with the breaking strengths in kg. A blue faders screwgate and maybe some other staff.

Have you changed your number?
OP Jamie B 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Donald M:

No, lost my phone. Will let you know when I've sorted out a replacement.
OP Jamie B 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Donald M:

> Yes. 1 or 2 beal yellow slings with the breaking strengths in kg. A blue faders screwgate and maybe some other staff.

None of that sounds familiar, but will have a rummage when I get home...
 SonyaD 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: Will mention to Tats, she might be interested. Nipped into IF to say hello on Sun, we were climbing in Coire nam Beith, will mail you later.
 Jason Kirk 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.:

you've got mail! I want to do some routes but have never done any winter climbing before.
Not one for heroics and I'm willing to listen!
 Tiggs 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: I'm interested, will email.
 tattoo2005 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: Hi Jamie, I'd love to come, cheers, I'll drop you a confirmation email

Kirstin
 Sandrine 27 Feb 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: yes, interested! got mail
 Chris Fryer 28 Feb 2006
In reply to Sandrine: Looks like Jamie will have a harem.
 sutty 28 Feb 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:

LOL, was thinking that last night. Graham may help out if he has not done himself an injury by then, along with Douglas.
OP Jamie B 28 Feb 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:

> Looks like Jamie will have a harem.

Dancer.

Joking apart, thanks for the replies. I need to add a bit of clarification about what we're proposing.

It's not a climbing day; we just want to give people an introduction to key winter skills like walking in crampons, self-arrest, avalanche avoidance, navigation and basic snow anchors. Whether you have winter climbing aspirations, or just want to develop as a winter walker these skills are absolutely critical; getting a grounding on Saturday will perhaps make people feel a lot more favourably about taking you climbing on Sunday?

Anyone coming out needs to organise themselves with stiffened boots, compatible crampons (test this in advance), one walking axe (50-60cm, alpine not technical pick) and a helmet. Obviously full waterproofs, warm clothing, hats and gloves are essential too.

I'm going to start emailing folk individualy and will try to get a consensus on a workable start time. I'm inclined to leave venue choice until the day but Aonach Mor is one idea; uplift from the gondola would allow us to pack a bit more in.

Chris Fryer 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: Given the snow coming down, avalanche avoidance should be high on the agenda.
OP Jamie B 01 Mar 2006
Anyone else care to join us? Could be very useful.
 DougG 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Jamie B.:

A mate of mine is coming to Glencoe, he may be interested. Will speak to him and get back to you later today Jamie if that's OK.
OP Jamie B 01 Mar 2006
In reply to DougG:

Nae bother; room for plenty more.
Slugain Howff 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Jamie B.:

Top marks gents, what a very generous offer. You should nominated for a special UKC award at this years ceremony.

Slugain
 Norrie Muir 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Slugain Howff:
> (In reply to Jamie B.)
> Top marks gents, what a very generous offer. You should nominated for a special UKC award at this years ceremony.
>
Dear Slugain

Yes, he should now be called Jamie A+ from now on.

Norrie
 DougG 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Jamie B.:

Jamie, my mate Larry is interested!

Cheers,
Doug.
Bingly Bong 01 Mar 2006
In reply to DougG: It'll be like a lamb to the slaughter...
Slugain Howff 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Bingly Bong:

...but at least Jamie won't be able to pull the wool over his eyes.
In reply to Slugain Howff:

He'll just stand there looking sheepish anyway.
Bingly Bong 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

I think we're all baaaaaaaaaaaarmy
 DougG 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Bingly Bong:

His name's Larry Kirk.

He was thinking of buying a house in Laurencekirk (a place to the S of Aberdeen) and calling it 'Lawrencekirk'. Then his address would be

Lawrence Kirk
'Lawrencekirk'
Laurencekirk.

Aye well it was funny at the time, we were a bit pashed.
 marie 01 Mar 2006
In reply to DougG: lol

<scratches head>

<sigh>
ICE 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: you accept payments in liquid units though? just a gentle hint to anyone who takes you and mr sane up on your very genorous offer.
 Sean Bell 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: Very generous offer I reckon and I can vouch for Jamie's sound teaching skills.Have a grand weekend all, you've picked a good one for the weather.Im sure I'll bump into some of you on Sunday!!
 SonyaD 01 Mar 2006
In reply to ICE: It would also be a nice token, if anyone going out with Jamie, who is a driver and staying sober, can give him a lift home (only 7miles?) so he can have a few in the pub after.
 Norrie Muir 01 Mar 2006
In reply to lasonj:

Drar lasonj

I thought you were going to say that you will drink the pints for him.

Norrie
 SonyaD 01 Mar 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: Hehe, I am going to try and endeavour not to drink much on Sat night, so I can get a good climb on Sunday too. Don't know how successful I'll be mind, far too easily led astray me :o$

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...