UKC

Outdoor Show

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ads Co. 17 Mar 2006
Anybody been to the Outdoor Show today??? How was the bouldering world cup first day looking?

Also is it looking like there are many good climbing bargains there this year? If so what are the best bargains around and about there?

Is it as good or better or not as good as last year?
Ian 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:
good point regarding climbing bargains... going on sunday so hoping that they will be trying to loose left over stock etc
OP Ads Co. 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ian: I am going on sunday thats why I am asking and hoping to get some good deals but just wondered what the bargains where on so bring on the suggestions.....
Ian 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:
well if you see a group of south africans then pop over and say hello

(or hide... your choice really)
OP Ads Co. 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ian: depends what these people have to offer?????? and where abouts are they stood?
 marie 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ian: He won't know you're South African till you speak though...
OP Ads Co. 17 Mar 2006
In reply to marie: they might have a stand related to south africa though????
Ian 17 Mar 2006
In reply to marie:
but he might hear us talking crap to eachother
but yes... you have a point

damn it
OP Ads Co. 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ian: are u gonna say what it is yr doing at the show
Ian 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:
what?

dude i'll just be pitching up and trying to get as much free shit as i can. but as i'm driving for like 3 hours to get there i'll be getting my moneys worth. meeting some plebs from london, not working on a stand. that stopped when 9feet went bust

OP Ads Co. 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ian: oh right u made it sound like u had a stand...

.... so has anyone been and seen any good bargains?
 CarolineMc 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.: There isn't masses of climbing stuff. Some good deals on Mammut ropes and a few odd deals elsewhere but not as much as last year. Bouldering comp is ace (as usual) tho. I'm stuck here for the next couple of days so will report any more good findings tomorrow.

C-:
OP Ads Co. 17 Mar 2006
In reply to CarolineMc: what are u doing at climbing show just visitor or working?

any deals on crampons that u have spotted?
ibopioneer 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.: any one there tommorow wana meet up for a brew me and wifey gona be there
 ebygomm 17 Mar 2006
In reply to Ian: not much climbing stock to begin with so don't hold out too much hope for excess stock.

Very disappointed with the selection of stuff there.

Oh well, at least I didn't pay for my ticket and watching the bouldering comp was fun.
mattsard 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.: Hi i went yesterday, agree not many climbing bargains to be had. only stall i found selling climbing stuff was a DMM/Mammut stand. I got a set of Wallnuts size 1-11 for 50 quid, so saved about 33 quid. i noticed they had ropes for about 60 quid. didnt look too hard as wasnt looking to buy one. DMM stand also had crampons but again i wasnt looking for them either.
In reply to marie:
> (In reply to Ian) He won't know you're South African till you speak though...

Unless they are Zulus.

mjk3k 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.: just got back .. was very dissipointed at the climbing section .. not much ... was some good bargins but would give it 1 start
ibopioneer 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.: jsut got back this minute and to report for yah's climbing wise there is one stall doing some ok deals didnt realy spend to much time there cas it was packed the ropes where a good price. We spent some time looking round the rest of the stalls and got some good deals on berghaus days sacks and raggeta jackets. and for somereason we bought a pop up tent for 35 quid wich was preety smart. part from that it is mainly just stalls trying ot get u to go on trips or suport there charity's so i was a bit disapointed.

But not bad for a day out the womans boldering qualification round was good that problem number 6 stumped them all i didnt see any one complete it. Dont blame them it looked fricking hard.

steve
 Pauline 18 Mar 2006
In reply to ibopioneer: ok... we are supposed to be going tomorrow! Is this gonna be boring for my 11 yr old? I thought there was stuff to do there! When is the climbing comp finals? What time? Is 9am gonna be too early to get there? Is it megga busy.... parking issues....etc any info is better than none!
 ebygomm 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Pauline: would have thought you'll find some stuff to entertain an 11 year old, quite a few different places to try out climbing, there was canoeing, scuba diving and biking to have a go at also. It's just as an adult i'm not that impressed by canoeing in a 5m by 5m pool or climbing an little wall, probably would have liked it when i was 11 though.
ibopioneer 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Pauline: for the 11 year old there is the ice wall the stalctite and 3 climbing walls also theres a team comp where they have to buil a tower as high as they can without falling off.
the semi finals are tomorow i believe never realy found out.

for the 11 yr old it will be good.
 Dominion 18 Mar 2006
In reply to mjk3k:

> just got back .. was very dissipointed at the climbing section .. not much ... was some good bargins but would give it 1 start

Yep, the climbing section this year is tiny. DMM store has some tri-cams (0.75 -1.5 (ish) and some 4CUs (0.5 - 1.5(ish) at £15 each, and some good prices on Mammut ropes, but that is about the limit on climbing gear. No Rock Shoes other than La Sportiva Cliff Blues and Mad Rock Frenzys at the Entre-prises stand - and that's what I was hoping to get, having just about worn through my Rock+Run Ozones.

Bouldering competition was looking reasonably hard for the grrls qualification, but didn't spot any big names (then again, I was wandering around, so possibly missed them) - but some Belgian grrl in her first year of competition was going well...

All in all, as I discussed with the girl on the CLimber Mag store, not much for climbers - but if you are into canoeing, lots of gear, stands and all sorts...
 54ms 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co

Just got back. It was a bit of a rip off!

Went to find out what order everyone was speaking to find out they were all fully booked apart from some women going on about fish! Other then that why did I want to pay for people to have the chance to sell me things. Managed to catch a few talks at the Cotswold stand, but was a bit of a letdown. Not much deals as people have said, but did get myself a 50m dry treated Revelation for £60, but think that was the only thing I saw cheaper then the internet. Then as a kick in the teeth you have to pay £7 to park. £7 to park? It's miles out of town and its not like you dont pay enough to start with. Just to rub it in bumped into a mate there who had free tickets left over

However if you were the bloke with dreads who gave me a jump start to get me home then your a legend!

Dominion 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:

£7 for parking is a bargain compared to £6 (at least) each to get a train from Rugby for three of us. That's ignoring parking at the train station (I've got a knackered ankle, my friend "The Fairy Gothmother" has a knackered knee) so walking to the railway station was probably out of order for at least one of us...

So 3 ppl in one car, car parking £7

or 3x£6 forrail transport plus car-parking at the station (although I'd use the car-park some 100yds away at about £1.50, instead of the £5 that the train car park costs)
 ebygomm 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Dominion: I parked for free in Coventry, 10 minutes from the station, 1.60 return to birmingham international
 Big Steve 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: I thought it was a bit rubbish really, very little in the way of climbing, seemed to be mostly canoeing and scuba diving. Simon Yates didnt turn up either for the planned talk, Leo Holding was good though. I'd like to say I wont bother going next year, but I know I will
 Dominion 18 Mar 2006
In reply to ebygomm:

> 1.60 return to birmingham international

And that takes the piss. £6 from Rugby to Birmingham International, £1.60 from Coventry...

Not that I know where in Coventry I can park for free all day...
 asutton709 18 Mar 2006
I think I picked up the only bargain. Subscribed to Climb magazine for a year for £25 and got a copy of Peak Bouldering (the one with moon on the cover) a pen and a poster for nowt -
Now that boys and girls is a bargain and a half!
 andy wa 18 Mar 2006
Anyone been near the yha's cave? is it any good? cheers andy
In reply to asutton709:
> I think I picked up the only bargain. Subscribed to Climb magazine for a year for £25 and got a copy of Peak Bouldering (the one with moon on the cover) a pen and a poster for nowt -

- I subscribed to Adventure Travel for two years for £30 and got a this months free on top, plus a free Tikka headtorch worth £20.
- I got two half-ropes for £42.50 each.
- I accidentally parked in the exhibitor's car park for the food show, which cost me nothing, although it was a bit of a walk.
- I thoroughly enjoyed the climbing comp.
- I bought a poster of Dougal Haston on Everest, taken by Doug Scott and signed by him in my prescence.
- I bumped into several people who I knew and was introduced to several more and everyone ws very friendly.
- The cornish pasties were delicious.

All in all a very good day.

54ms 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Dominion:

I had to pay more then that in petrol to get there, but I still think £7 for parking takes the piss. If I'd have gone by train would still be coming back now.
OP Ads Co. 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: did anybody see any crampons on offer of any makie, thats what i really want to know please

Ads
In reply to Ads Co.:

Hmmm. I saw some crampons somewhere. I didn't notice if they were any good though or if they were a good price. The might have been on the Enterprises stand; that's where the bargain ropes were. If not they were near there.
 Dominion 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:

Dmm stand - my mate bought some terminators. I'd guess they were a reasonable price otherwise he wouldn't have bought them, but I'd also say that there was very limited choice. I didn't see any other crampons on sale anywhere...
 Caralynh 19 Mar 2006
In reply to Dominion:

Outside my house, like 7 of my mates did! Then car-shared to the NEC, so perfect arrangement. Having said that, 8 people in a 1 bed house was fun - shed and tent were both full of people too!

In reply to Ads.Co.

Only crampons we saw were DMM ones. My climbing partner bought a pair for £50 which seemed good (not as good as the £25 I paid last year though!)

All in all, there were fewer retailers this year. Last year the Climbers Shop, V12, and the Outdoors Shop all had stands, as well as Costwold, Field and Trek etc.
 winter_burn 20 Mar 2006
I managed to get a pair of Dmm Venoms yesterday for Only £100 including leashes . that is a great bargain . Although i defently agreee there were a lot fewer climbing stalls than recent years
Ian 20 Mar 2006
In reply to winter_burn:
me to!
and some crampons for 60 and a rope for 60

all in all a good dayt out
and the russian climber was fantastic... mmmmmmmm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...