UKC

tape vs. "rubber gloves"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 26 Apr 2006
palomides 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA:

They're only unethical if they work well.

http://tinyurl.com/o8xwz
Imperium 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA:

> Is tape OK because its traditional (like slavery and wife-beating)

You sir, are a f*cking genius!

Personally I've never taped up for jamming, but then I've not had to jam up anything bigger than fifty meters or so, and I'd feel like a bit of a pleb. I plan to climb in Yosemite soon, so I'm not saying I definitely wouldn't tape up.

I've seen utter plebs taping up at the wall FFS, and those fangled new gloves just look silly!
 beardy mike 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA: Having got a pair of gloves (not the ones in Needlesport though - if you want a pair I can sell you some ) I would not say they make you any more able to jam, just like tape gloves don't. If you can't jam you can't jam... But they do mean you can jam for longer, which I'm all for!
Iain Forrest 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA:
Can't see why gloves would be considered aid if sticky rubber soled shoes aren't.
Although climbing shoes clearly are aid, right enough.
 tobyfk 26 Apr 2006
OP TobyA 26 Apr 2006
In reply to tobyfk: My hands (note the often remarked upon and laughed at "podgy banana fingers" - not that I'm sensitive about this or anything...), you took the pic on my camera.

Rock climbing with ice tools appears to be fine as long as you are connected to them by wrist loops.
OP TobyA 26 Apr 2006
In reply to mike kann: Are you getting rid of yours or have you got a cheap source? Anyways - how much?
 beardy mike 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA: Was going to market them but other things got in the way. Would do them for 18 notes plus postage at cost (you're in Finland right?) They are pretty good and come with a small tube of seam grip to cover up any sticthing to make them last longer. Bit stiff to start with but they soon soften up...
 SuperstarDJ 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Not sure that I've got any ethical issues - what's the difference between sticky shoes and sticky hands or chalk for that matter.

As someone who's allergic to the sticky stuff that's in plasters, tapes etc they sound like the perfect thing for me.
 beardy mike 26 Apr 2006
In reply to SuperstarDJ: Well if you you are interested the above offer applies to anybody who wants them as long as stocks last...
 JLS 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Create your own by cutting the fingers off a pair of Marigolds. Increased protection can be achieved by placing a section of cardboard between the glove and the back of the hand. Tennis style towelling wrist bands can also be added to the set-up to mop up any excess sweat which you may work-up during your exertions.
 Mikey_07 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Tape?! Gloves?! Honestly...call yourself climbers. Pussies the lot of yeh. Climb with your bear hands...they'll cut, they'll blister and they'll get scraped to hell but you'll build up really hard skin and be able to climb forever and a day.
Iain Forrest 26 Apr 2006
In reply to Mikey_07:
> Climb with your bear hands
Now that definitely isn't ethical.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Ya wuss, I did Vestpillaren without the need for any of that tape!

Chris
 Mikey_07 26 Apr 2006
In reply to Iain Forrest:

Bit of sarcasm there Iain.
Damian Haigh 26 Apr 2006
A couple of times I've seen people taping up their fists at Burbage North... starting up 20 foot crack with enough gear to climb The Nose.
I don't know if it matters whether its ethical, it just makes them look like clueless jessies.
In reply to TobyA:

And here's the proof!

http://www.pbase.com/image/59251416

Chris
 sutty 26 Apr 2006
In reply to Chris Craggs:

What brought on this expression then Chris?

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/59250747
In reply to sutty:

The view of the leap beween the horns of the Svolvaer Goat!

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/57529480

The person on top of the right-hand one gives the scale!

Chris
 sutty 26 Apr 2006

Well, would you Adam and Eve it?

Not really the place to dither is it?

OP TobyA 27 Apr 2006

> Ya wuss, I did Vestpillaren without the need for any of that tape!

Yeah, but you thought it was E2.

(Actually me thinking its E1 probably shows tape gloves are aid!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...