UKC

oops there goes another rubber tree plant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 28 Apr 2006
hello horticulture fans!

my rubber plants keep going saggy. what am I doing wrong? this is the second one to keel over and look sad, and I'm starting to take it personally.

the first one was at home, and he's now officially rotting on a municipal tip somewhere as it was a while ago.

of the recent ones (there are two), they both went a bit sad at work (I don't think they like the air con) so I took them home, repotted them, made them happy then brought them back. they've since moved offices, and whilst they were happy for a while, one of them has slumped into a depression and his leaves have gone a bit limp.

I don't think it's a watering issue.

anyone got any thoughts?

I feel like a bad person when plants die.
 doz generale 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

do you ever clean the leaves?
AndyHardy 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: Have you got ants?
OP CJD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to doz generale:

I have done in the past but not in the very recent past. they're not too bad but that's a thought, ta.
OP CJD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to AndyHardy:

no, but I did think to suspect that initially
Nao 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
> I feel like a bad person when plants die.

You are a bad person. In fact, I'm holding you personally responsible for the destruction of the rainforest, and CO2 overload.

Oh... you meant your plants? Errr, sorry, can't help you - I don't know what a rubber plant is.

PS Why don't you try futureforests - you can buy trees and things but you don't actually have to look after them. Works for me!
 Mowglee 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: Does it get enough light? they like lots and lots of it!
 KeithW 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

Are you sure it's not those ants?

They've got... high hopes!
Yes they've got... hi-igh hopes!
OP CJD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Nao:

but these ones are here and now and they're kind of sat behind me and I can just feeeel the resentment mounting.

here's a rubber tree: http://www.greendesign.com.au/new_images/rubber_plant_ceramalike.jpg
OP CJD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to gareth uglow:
> (In reply to CJD) Does it get enough light? they like lots and lots of it!

they're both right next to a big window.

Nao 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
Ooh, they look high maintenance.

We are terrible with plants - have a money tree, which somehow manages to keep growing despite its sporadic watering schedule (it just looks dehydrated when it's not been watered in ages, then plumps up again when it has been); two dead gerbera plants (they revive a treat when watered and dead-headed); one pointsettia (dead I think) and one cyclamen (strangely live).

You need some more hardy plants. Or more water?
Perhaps you're over-watering them - that's what we did to the poinsettia.
 carriegold 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: Are you feeding them? Try not to over water them too. My rubber plant has had the house to itself for the last few months whilst trying out living with bf and the plant seems fine.

It does sit in front of the patio doors so gets loads of light.
OP CJD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Nao:

they're really quite idiot-level on the whole, as plants go. well, they should be normally. I've got lots of plants at home, and they're all quite tough and hardy. apart from the poor deceased rubber plant.

another question: is it unethical to dispose of a huge dragon tree that's started to look a bit 'leggy' and a bit scabby? is it like shoving an elderly dog onto the street to make way for a new puppy?
OP CJD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to carriegold:

I think they could definitely do with a bite to eat - you might be onto something there. I'll bring in some Baby Bio and attend to them over the weekend.
Nao 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
> another question: is it unethical to dispose of a huge dragon tree that's started to look a bit 'leggy' and a bit scabby?
Yes!

> is it like shoving an elderly dog onto the street to make way for a new puppy?
Yep!

Can you not plant the tree out somewhere, or give it to someone as a present?
I am a big fan of disposing of no-longer-wanted items as gifts. Got rid of loads of my old toys the Christmas before last to the nephews-in-law (if that is a relation).

JDDD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: I don't think they like drafts. Put it in direct sunlight to recover - it might have gone into winter dormant mode, but watch out - you can triple their size in 6-8 weeks cause they love the sun.
Lizzie 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
they're reflecting how you feel. plants are very sensitive you know
OP CJD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Jon Dittman:

they're not really in a draft. I'm going to feed them first then see what happens.
In reply to Lizzie:

> they're reflecting how you feel. plants are very sensitive you know

That will be why my buddleia looks so sad then, I nearly cried when I unpacked it not long ago when it arrived to find the garden centre had broken half of it to fit it into a box that was far too small and then it had got crushed by the courier company
satori 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Jon Dittman)
>
> I'm going to feed them first then see what happens.

rubber plants like bacon sandwiches and tins of boddingtons.

this is what my old flatmate used to feed my rubber plant. it did fine.
 Armadillo 28 Apr 2006
> another question: is it unethical to dispose of a huge dragon tree that's started to look a bit 'leggy' and a bit scabby? is it like shoving an elderly dog onto the street to make way for a new puppy?

Probably yes, but before you commit that heinous crime, why not try cutting it back? Perhaps try one limb/branch and see what happens. If you're lucky it will sprout new growth. If not, it will be a very dead looking stick, which gives you perfect justification to bin it and get a new one.

OP CJD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Armadillo:

an excellent idea.

I'm a bit scared of cutting back, but it could be the way forward.
Nao 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
So nicely put, you should suggest it for Al's girly route naming thread.
In reply to CJD:

> I'm a bit scared of cutting back

Be brave!
 Armadillo 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

Perhaps the making of a rather crap slogan there...

"Cutting back - the new way forward"

<gets coat>
 malk 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
a)they don't like being moved
b)don't water too frequently
c)avoid dry air, heat sources and draughts
 Tiggs 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: Lack of humidity might be a problem. The air in the office will have been centrally heated and dry for the winter. Rubber plants need a moist, jungly environment. Try misting around the plant to increase humidity.
 marie 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: All my plants die

I even killed the established tree in my garden... I still don't know how but it was fine till about 2 years ago :oS
 malk 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Tiggs: yeah, i reckon she should care more for the shoots than the roots
 malk 28 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: don't worry about being a bad person-it's clear you're not
overcaring? possibly, but that's nothing to feel bad about

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...