UKC

London guitar freaks - Denmark street?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ultra montane 03 May 2006
Heading for London from up here in scotchland with a severe case of G.A.S.
I've heard Denmark Street is the place to head for, can anyone recommend one of the better stores? Looking to pick up a small bodied Martin, maybe a 0018.
Ta
 graeme jackson 03 May 2006
In reply to ultra montane: I have a mate here in Edinburgh who was recently trying to sell a 1975 Martin D-12-35 . (think it's a 12 string). If you're interested I'll put him in touch with you
ultra montane 03 May 2006
In reply to graeme jackson:
> (In reply to ultra montane) I have a mate here in Edinburgh who was recently trying to sell a 1975 Martin D-12-35 . (think it's a 12 string). If you're interested I'll put him in touch with you

Cheers, but sorry, looking for a 6 string.
 billb 03 May 2006
In reply to ultra montane:
Are you getting here this weekend.
http://www.londonguitarshow.co.uk/home.cfm

This weekend - went last year and incredible bargains to be had!!!
 Smitz 03 May 2006
In reply to ultra montane: At the top of the street, is a sub-terranean place on the left (looking up the hill). It's massive, and I mean MASSIVE.

I went in once in november, at least 10 years ago, and reserved an £800 pound bass, and told the guy I would be back in Jan. with my christmas money and pick it up. He said OK, I counted the seconds until the shops opened again after christmas, ran to london and: it was gone
Still, the same guy remembered me, apologised profusely, and offered me a £1800 6 string bass for £800
Now I love that shop.
 Kenny 03 May 2006

never bought more than a strap and a lead in any of them but I daresay they are all good, they are after all in direct competition with all the others. very nearby (just cross Charing Cross Road and turnleft, walk about a yard, turn right at Foyles onto Manette Street, and there's another shop which might be useful.
 Kenny 03 May 2006
In reply to ultra montane: also if you can get out of London, this might be worth a peep
http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/
G A Hardie 05 May 2006
In reply to ultra montane: Denmark Street is fine for a browse, but London prices apply and real bargains are hard to find - unless one of the dealers is doing a product dump on end of line stock. If you are tempted to buy - do NOT pay the price on the tag, they are are usually good for a haggle.

Guitar village in Farnham is WELL worth a look - and they open on sundays too.

Cheers

Gordon
 doz generale 05 May 2006

almost every shop on denmark street is a guitar shop! it's not a very big street so wont take you long to browse arround it. there are a few good guitar shops on charring cross road also (at one end of denmark street)
ICE 05 May 2006
In reply to ultra montane: vintage and rare or wunjo guitars are the only place to buy martins in that area wunjos's is round corner in st giles street, vintage and rare is on denmark street,
Ice (the owner of a stunning 00042 brazilian rosewood.) Avoid the ones owned by music ground leeds as i find they are like dogs with a bone and want to sell you something regardless of what you need.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...