UKC

Gehenna, Beacon Scar, Cleveland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve Q 11 Jun 2002
Whilst attempting the classic crack ''Gehenna'' at Beacon Scar I almost pulled a huge block off the bottom of the route. For anyone who knows the route this block is below the large block that fell off the route a couple of years ago. The route is dangerous in it's current state as it would be very difficult to avoid this hanging death. I'm thinking of abbing off and trundling the offending piece of shit from above and wondered if local climbers had any objections to this or alternative ideas (other than 500g of epoxy resin down the back of it)...

PS for any one who's forgotten this is a great carg which needs more traffic..

Steve Q

Bob 11 Jun 2002
In reply to Steve Q:

That block was pretty loose two years ago, given the amount of water that would appear to run down the crack I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Bob
OP grim 12 Jun 2002
In reply to Steve Q: if the route is now so dangerous then it shouldnt be a problem removing the offending part but i would check with the land owner Sir John beforehand.
vic,s 12 Jun 2002
In reply to Steve Q:

Define Great !!!!!!!!! Scaffel is a great crag, as is Malham , but Beacon scar ?????? I think not
OP Steve Q 13 Jun 2002
In reply to vic,s: good un vic, very constructive...
OP Anonymous 13 Jun 2002
In reply to Steve Q:

I was trying too be constructive, Beacon Scar unless you live localy is a bag of shite, and I have been going there on and off for 35 years , mostly off !!!!!!
Adam Reah 17 Jun 2002
In reply to Steve Q: Alright mate it's Adam from Simpsons I have no objections to your proposed idea, and I am probably speaking for alot of people in the area. A word about the landowner I thought the crag was owned by the outdoor centre, who bought it some years ago and placed a lot of in situ abseil bolts (could be wrong though) if however I am right they have absolutely no problem with gardening as it was they who considerably changed the physical features of the crag. It's also good to see that 'Vic, S' whoever the fecker is can offer such constructive feedback on an issue which could become a serious one 'in terms of injury'. Anyway where does he get off saying that Malham is a good crag it's that polished you can see your face in it. It's good of you to ask for our opinion mate most would have just pulled the block out. Hope this helps Steve, see you around Adam.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...