UKC

where to kayak?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AnthonyB 25 May 2006
im looking for some sea or rivers to kayak between southampton and Brighton anyone got any ideas?
Kev Malone 25 May 2006
 Squirrel Bill 25 May 2006
In reply to AnthonyB: Be careful.
 Squirrel Bill 25 May 2006
In reply to AnthonyB:
What grade can you paddle at?
Can you roll?
Are you intending to paddle alone?
Jonno 25 May 2006
In reply to Squirrel Bill:
> (In reply to AnthonyB)
>
> Can you roll?
>

Not necessarily as essential pre-requisite to sea kayaking.

Some experienced paddlers never master rolling but get by.

More important for inexperienced SKers is to avoid solo trips until they are experienced.

I'm still somewhere between the novice and intermediate stage and still wouldn't go out alone.

More fun anyway with a gang of mates.

I've a feeling I'll never master rolling but I'm more concerned with developing a successful re-entry technique.
scareysheep 26 May 2006
In reply to AnthonyB: Have you looked at the Brighton Explorers club? they paddle at brighton, and have the occasioan trips away to places. not too bad a bunch of people.
 Alan Stark 26 May 2006
In reply to AnthonyB:

A few years ago a mate of mine decided to borrow his dad's canoe and go for a paddle round the Isle of Wight.

He got in to a spot of bother off the Shambles but fortunately had his mobile phone with him, so phoned his dad for help. His dad was in Dubai!

His rescue made national TV, but I'll not name him to spare his blushes. He knows who he is, and wont be allowed to forget it in a hurry!

Take care when out on the sea.
 SteveD 26 May 2006
In reply to Jonno: depending on how old you are it will only take a few hours to learn to roll. I used to teach, the average was about 3-4 hours for a reasonably fit 20-something. (the longest - about 16 months, but she was in her 60s)

rolling can give an extra edge of confidence which will help stop you going in in the first place.

get as much experience as you can in a variety of conditions. Self rescue is a pretty advanced technique (advanced sea pro standard in old language) and remember you wont be doing it in a pool. If you can find some tidal overfalls with a nice flat bit down stream and some safety cover thats a good place to practice. You'll get the waves and chop but it will stop after the falls, so if your rescue fails you have still water to sort things out. Its the equivalent of practicing self-arrest on a nice convex slope.

Steve D

Squirrel Bill 26 May 2006
In reply to AnthonyB:
I learnt to roll very early on, when learning to kayak. I found having a bomb proof roll gave me the confidence I needed to tackle harder stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...