UKC

Text speak on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GCW 29 May 2006
Why are we having such an influx of txt spk on UKC? Are people too lazy to type a few extra characters? I don't know why but I find it unnecessary and mildly irritating (I'm sure I'm not alone). Is it possible to install a spellcheck/textspeak filter on the forums?
 James FR 29 May 2006
In reply to GCW:

Freedom of expression
OP GCW 29 May 2006
In reply to jimbo g:

Nice 1 m8
 James FR 29 May 2006
In reply to GCW:

I do agree; it really annoys me too, but I don't know that there's much anyone can do. I don't think that many people actually use text-speak on here, it's more the spelling and grammar errors which I notice.
 Mehmet Karatay 29 May 2006
In reply to GCW:

I don't really know why people do it, but it bothers me a lot as well. All I can assume is that it's usually the younger teenagers. Maybe they do it because they find it hard to think in any other way after sending dozens of text messages every day. Who knows?

mehmet
 Rob Naylor 29 May 2006
In reply to Mehmet Karatay:
> (In reply to GCW)
>
> I don't really know why people do it, but it bothers me a lot as well. All I can assume is that it's usually the younger teenagers. Maybe they do it because they find it hard to think in any other way after sending dozens of text messages every day. Who knows?

I don't think that can be the case. Back in the dim and distant days when I first started using text, txt spk was useful because you had a very limited number of characters available for a message.

Now it's been enhanced to such a degree that the restriction is not really a problem. Also, the fact that most people now use predictive text means that it's actually much harder to use text speak. Try typing "c u l8r m8" into a mobile with predictive text switched on and you'll see what I mean...unless you've gone out of your way to add "m8" etc to the dictionary.

Nah, I reckon the upsurge is down to use of MSN etc (ie, developments of what we old farts used to call Internet Relay Chat!). My kids will have typically 4 or 5 different sets of live "conversations" going at any one time, when they're on MSN or wherever, and in order to get their replies in quickly, they need to minimise typing time for each response, hence the use of "shorthand".
 ebygomm 29 May 2006
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> and in order to get their replies in quickly, they need to minimise typing time for each response, hence the use of "shorthand".

Their brains must be wired differently, it's far quicker for me to type see you later than think about making it into text speak and typing c u l8ter
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I see your point. I wonder how much the 'cool' factor came into it when they first started? Whatever the reason they do it now, be it msn or whatever, I still feel if someone gets used to writing in a certain way then it takes concentration to change their writing style. Perhaps even they do not even see the need to?

mehmet
daveguilfoyle 29 May 2006
does it realy matter if people use some shorter works as long as every word and in a way that you realy can't read it. so typeing such as 'u' instead of 'you'. whats wrong woth that? but typeing stuff like 'cba' and 'ffs' (can't be arsed and for feck sack to you older people. as said before freedom of speach.
shorter wors as long as its not every word

sorry
 truckmonkey 29 May 2006
what about a txt speak glossary im not old but i still get confused
 James FR 29 May 2006

Do you guys want to make any more sweeping generalisations about "young people"? There are many older people on these forums who don't appear to have a very good grasp of the English language.
 James FR 29 May 2006
In reply to daveguilfoyle:

Yeah, but there is a problem when people can't actually understand what you're trying to say. It's fairly obvious that "u" means "you", but the number of spelling mistakes in your post makes it difficult to read!

Personally I find it as a sign of laziness. I feel, subconsciously more then anything, if someone can't take the time to write their question or reply properly, then they can't be that interested in the answer. Writing is a way of clearly getting your message across to other people where you can't easily include emotions etc. It should be written clearly so that others can understand what you are saying without having to put effort in. It seems a shame that people are loosing the ability to write in this manner. I suppose to me text messages just emphasise this. Even though I can usually understand what they mean my eye cannot flow over the sentence. I have to understand each word as opposed understanding the sentence and the message they are attempting to convey.

I will accept that an occasional short word is okay, but saying 'you' instead of 'u' doesn't exactly take that much time but does help the eye glide over the sentence easier.

mehmet
yeh thats coz im trying to make the customers think im working not talking on here and i wasn't concentrating, sorry and my lack of correct gramma but whats wrong with saying obvius stuff like 'u' or 'r' or 'm8' coz thats not to complex is it?
and its not just a younger person thing i know many people that are older that use it and many younge poeple that don'y ever use it. and as said before its startd coz of the lack of space on a sms (text messages to 'older people')
In reply to jimbo g:
> (In reply to Mehmet Karatay)
>
> Do you guys want to make any more sweeping generalisations about "young people"? There are many older people on these forums who don't appear to have a very good grasp of the English language.

I accept that I have made generalisations and I apologise. I usually do try to avoid this.

mehmet
 James FR 29 May 2006

That should be "losing" not "loosing" - you see what I mean?
In reply to jimbo g:

Yes. I often seem to make that mistake. You would think I would learn...

mehmet
In reply to GCW:

F*cking hell, get a life. If text speak and incorrect spelling irritate you, then you really need to get out more.
 S Andrew 29 May 2006
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

If proper words and correct spelling are beyond you then you really need to stay in more. And do your homework.
 Azarado 29 May 2006
In reply to GCW: I don't know specifically about txt speak (though in my opinion if you accept that it is applicable to mobile texting because of the lack of message space then you should also accept that it should only be used when texting), but I do agree that if people, and not specifically 'young' people, are only exposed to one form of grammar or language, then they become limited to using that. My girlfriend works as a TA in Stratford, and before that in Hackney. It became apparent talking to her that the children she was teaching were incapable of speaking the queens english, but were limited to speaking their own limited dialect. That's fine if you don't care about a future, but if you want to improve your lot in life then you need to be able to communicate effectively with people from other backgrounds. The sooner people realise that language and the ability to use it properly is a way to better your life (or if not your life, then the life of your kids) then the sooner people will hopefully start wanting to learn to use english properly. A pipe dream I realise, but you can but hope.
 ebygomm 29 May 2006
In reply to Azarado: The reason I don't like text speak on forums or other places is because it doesn't scan. I have to go back to sounding out the words like I did when I was 4 to try and comprehend what is being said.
In reply to Rid Skwerr:

The original point still stands.

You lot are very sad if text speak and bad spelling bother you that much.
rich 29 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm: it's an interesting exercise sometimes to think about how eay or hard it is to say the things you write

i mention it because your second sentence leapt out at me as one that would be really hard - try reading it out loud - tricky diction eh?
 ebygomm 29 May 2006
In reply to rich: Doesn't seem tricky to me but then I know what I'm trying to say.

It's these sort of posts that are the really tricky ones.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=181658&v=1#2619191

OP GCW 29 May 2006
I did say "mildly" if you bothered to read the OP. I just wonder why people bother. I find it just as quick to type 'later' as 'l8ter'. In the old days without predictive texting it was quicker to use text speak but now with predictive texting it's not.

If you never get mildly annoyed by anything in life let me know your secret. You must be a very clever person.
 sutty 29 May 2006

An English teacher has just scanned some appalling writing by one of her pupils and marked them down as too hard to read due to poor grammar and spelling. They may be excluded from taking the exams if they do not improve, are you in his class?
 Rob Naylor 29 May 2006
> does it realy matter if people use some shorter works as long as every word and in a way that you realy can't read it. so typeing such as 'u' instead of 'you'. whats wrong woth that? but typeing stuff like 'cba' and 'ffs' (can't be arsed and for feck sack to you older people. as said before freedom of speach.

Well this post needs some puzzling out, but I reckon that it's been written like that deliberately as a wind-up. Nice try.

However, we "older people" were most likely using acronyms like "ffs" since before you were born. Using slow dialup connections and pure text-based "Bulletin Boards" you needed to keep things short to keep your phone bills down, and to avoid taking up too much bandwidth at the BB providers.

Consequently, it was *our* generation that started using acronymes like FFS, AFAIK, AFAIC, IMO, IMNSHO, FOAD, etc n the online world.

OP GCW 29 May 2006
Don't you mean "ur v sad if txtspk n bad spllng irrit8 u"?

Which is easier to read?
 pigeonjim 29 May 2006
In reply to jimbo g:
> it's more the spelling and grammar errors which I notice.

U must get out more. Try climbing it is very good
In reply to Rob Naylor: it wasn't a wind up i just wans't concentrating and didn't realise till after and did put what it was ment to say
In reply to Rob Naylor: so if it was your generation that started it and was doing it all before i was born then why are poeple in you'r generation complaining about it??

and if it annoys you that much u should start (as said before) going climbing more, come to my centre and keep me entertaind!!
 Rob Naylor 29 May 2006
> > and its not just a younger person thing i know many people that are older that use it and many younge poeple that don'y ever use it. and as said before its startd coz of the lack of space on a sms (text messages to 'older people').

Yes, a lot of we "older people" understand it. I used to use it exclusively for texting back in the early-mid 90s because I really needed it. I can read or write it perfectly well, when I need to.

But now, with predictive text and fewer restrictions on message length, my point was that I just couldn't see why the increased use on these forums could be explained by the number of texts kids send. I thought multiple conversations on MSN was probably a better explanation of why so many younger people "automatically" do it in forum posts.

My worry is that for *some* younger people, it's becoming so ubiquitous that they use it at inappropriate times. I spend a long time editing reports that I just can't send to clients until I've taken out the worst of the problems.
 Bob 29 May 2006

Text speak originated on a medium where there was limited space. Also it became the accepted and general form on that medium.

On message boards such as this, on the other hand, something approaching standard English is the norm so if you want to get your message across then writing in something approaching reasonable English is going to be better received and understood. If you don't know that your readers will understand it (text speak) then don't use it.

Whilst the pedants on here (myself included) do not expect grammatical, perfectly spelt and correctly punctuated English all the time, it's not actually that hard to get to get a good concise message or question across.

Text speak makes me think that I've suddenly become dyslexic! And it's not an age thing and the terseness of it - I work as a programmer, care to translate while(*d++ = *s++); ?

boB
 Rob Naylor 29 May 2006
> >
> and if it annoys you that much u should start (as said before) going climbing more, come to my centre and keep me entertaind!!

Chill, man!

Did I ever say that it annoyed me? No, my first post on this topic just pointed out to another poster that the increase in txt shorthand couldn't really be explained by kids texting a lot, for the reasons I stated.

I do find its use in "normal" posts off-putting, whereas on a phone screen I kind of expect it.

OTOH, I'm quite happy to see things like FFS and AFAIC in posts, as I'm so used to them.

I suspect the reason why some older people might have problems is that the number of people using mobiles and online BBs back in the early 90s was a much smaller percentage of the population, so maybe the shorthand is a lot more puzzling to most members of my generation than it is to those of us who grew up writing JCL sheets for typing onto punched cards!
 Rob Naylor 29 May 2006
In reply to Bob:
> (In reply to daveguilfoyle)
I work as a programmer, care to translate while(*d++ = *s++); ?
>
> boB

Was this *your* mate, then:

The last time they saw each other, they were using card decks with a rubber band round them. Steve was a junior programmer and Bob was his senior programmer. According to Bob, his main memory of Steve was the time that he left a parameter off his JCL card when he was trying to Print/Punch out a deck of cards, and almost printed out every card that the bank owned.

It was the standard at the bank that when a program was complete, the whole card deck for the program was printed out. and handed over for testing. Steve sent his JCL job for an overnight run to print out his card deck of around 700 cards.

Box After Box

Unfortunately with the parameter missing (he thinks it was just a missing comma), the card punch tried to print out the whole library instead of just the program. Each time a box of cards (2,000 per box) finished, the operator loaded up another box.

After the 16th box, the operators were getting a little suspicious and stopped the run. It was estimated that the library would have needed 450,000 cards to print it all out – probably more than the bank possessed.

OP GCW 29 May 2006
In reply to Rob Naylor:
Can't wait to see the future of CVs. "Grdu8d w 2-1 frm Cmbrdge in cre8ive writng......" I think bad spelling and grammar reflects badly upon the writer. It gives the impression of laziness and not caring about the way they express themselves. If I received an application for a job which contained bad spelling I'd certainly consider it less. If you're too idle to spellcheck you're probably a bit slack in other areas too. That's the logical extrapolation.
 Rob Naylor 29 May 2006
> (u should start (as said before) going climbing more, come to my centre and keep me entertaind!!

Why would I go to a "centre" when I can climb outdoors on *real* rock?

Got back from a superb day at Portland yesterday Set off at 0600, climbing by 0930, climbed all day, nice pub meal and back home by 2300. I've never actually been sport climbing before (except n indoor walls), and it's only the 3rd time ever on limestone. I don't think I'll trade trad for sport as my "game" of choice, but I'll certainly do it again.

Only reason I'm not out today is it's pissing down.
 Bob 29 May 2006
In reply to Rob Naylor:

The question mark wasn't part of the expression!

boB
 James FR 29 May 2006
In reply to pigeonjim:

> U must get out more. Try climbing it is very good

Believe me, I'd love to! Unfortunately I have my finals at the moment, so I'm stuck inside revising 15 hours a day. As of next week I'll be free and will stop getting annoyed at the spelling or grammar on here as I will be climbing in the Alps and the UK for the next three months.
In reply to sutty:

Erm, what does that have to do with the OP? How does text speak on UKC relate to how many kids pass exams?
In reply to jimbo g:

What the F*CK are you doing on UKC if you are supposed to be revising for finals!!!
Ian Hill 29 May 2006
In reply to Rob Naylor: txt speak of a sort started much earlier when telegrams really did financially restrict what you could say...and then there were wartime acronyms such as SWALK and NORWICH

sealed with a loving kiss
(k)nickers off ready when I come home
 James FR 29 May 2006

Because it provides me with a little light entertainment when linear elastic fracture mechanics gets a bit too much for me.
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to GCW: I is 18 n i nvr use txt lnguage in either txts or posts, Xcept wen i attempt irony.

A spelling/grammar checking function would sort things out, it disgusts me seeing the general lack of basic grammar and spelling represented on these forums, for example, "your" and "you're", "there", "their" and "they're", "are" and "our", and many more.

Possibly the worst of all i's the need to put apostrophe's before every single S even when not showing possesion, for exaple when only showing plural's or even word's which end in S anyway. Di'sgu'stin'g.
 ebygomm 29 May 2006
In reply to andi_e: Worse still is when people complain about spelling and grammar without throughly checking their message for typos/mistakes. :-P

example
Ian Hill 29 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm:

did you mean 'thoroughly'???
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm: Yes, I spotted that too. Shame there isn't an "edit post" function either!
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: Irony or idiocy?
 ebygomm 29 May 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: the :-P was meant to indicate irony. I guess I didn't communicate that as well as I could have.
Ian Hill 29 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm: it is hard to be both pedantic_and_ironic in the same sentence...
 Ands 29 May 2006

> You lot are very sad if text speak and bad spelling bother you that much.

Yeah sure and getting this excited about Top Gear doesn't make you a total dick or anything:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=183356&v=1#2651390

Ands
In reply to Ands:

Errr? Was I getting excited?

In the end, take a look at yourself, you are 29 years old and have to visit an internet forum every single day to keep yourself amused. Do you actually have a life?

Forgive me if I don't listen to you.
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer: Whoa, check this guy, a hardcore pot-kettle-black caller!
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> (In reply to daveguilfoyle)
> Why would I go to a "centre" when I can climb outdoors on *real* rock?
>
> Only reason I'm not out today is it's pissing down.

YOU JUST ANSWERED YOU'R OWN QUESTION!!!!
 tony 29 May 2006

What's that apostrophe doing in there?
 dannym2710 29 May 2006
In reply to GCW: why, amongst the sociable types in here, do we have people that feel the need to complain because of the was someone is writing post. i mean come on for christs sake, its a sodding climbing forum, not the oxford dictionary, if people dont want to write the whole word then why should somebody else have a whinge about it? if it offends you that much to see misspelled words, you know where the off button is. how do you know that somebody your complaining about because of their writing skill isnt dyslexic? you dont, so just stop being miserable shits and grow up
 S Andrew 29 May 2006
In reply to dannym2710:
>.. because of the was someone is writing post.

What???
 dannym2710 29 May 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr: **because of the way someone is writing a post.

i apologise for my inability to write properly, feel free to abuse me for it, i cant honestly think of the last time i had to write anything that was completely grammaticaly perfect while im welding
 S Andrew 29 May 2006
In reply to dannym2710:

Is it not a bit risky writing anything while you're welding?
 dannym2710 29 May 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr: i didnt say i write while im welding, i said ive never needed to, so why shouldnt i be able to miss out punctuation without some shit grumbling about it?doesnt mean im lazy or thick jsut because i write like this, im jsut not very good with words, and i dont need to be able to write well to do what im good at
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to dannym2710: I wonder, if you had perfect grammar, would you be doing manual labour?
 S Andrew 29 May 2006
In reply to dannym2710:

You don't need to be abusive either.
 dannym2710 29 May 2006
In reply to GCW: evidently i am beneath you all because of my lack of ability when it comes to writing, and evidently im in the wrong here for using shortened words in my posts
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to dannym2710: Yes, yes you are. It takes a man to admit his shortcomings.
MNT 29 May 2006
In reply to andi_e:

It's the comment on his profile which worries me...
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to MNT: Yes exactly. The object of war is to waste money and life, and to make governments look like total pricks...
OP GCW 29 May 2006
In reply to dannym2710:

I think you've missed the point.
1. TxtSpk is harder to read on forums
2. Whilst it is easier to type on a phone (where you have to press buttons up to 4 times to get the letter you want) you have 26 keys on your computer to type whatever you want. I don't see the advantage in typing it on here
MNT 29 May 2006
In reply to andi_e:

Surely they think it is to make them look good? The other is the law of the unexpected consequence?
OP GCW 29 May 2006
In reply to dannym2710:

Again, you miss the point. You haven't used any text type words in any of these posts, which was my original question (if you read it). The ones in question are the extreme text style messages
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to MNT: Ah yes, they think they are the best when waving the big guns around. My only weapon is my mind, and my ferocious finger strength. Got any enemies need crimping to death? I'm your man.
 S Andrew 29 May 2006
In reply to andi_e:
> My only weapon is my mind, and my ferocious finger strength.

A battle of wits for which you're only half prepared?
MNT 29 May 2006
In reply to andi_e:

Not sure crimping would be overly effective in Basra, say.

What's the txt spk for Basra. anyone know?

Bsra? Saves a lot of effort, doesn't it?

Actually, I've worked it out. Those who use text speak need to save energy by missing our letters because they don't have the brains to think about using English.
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to MNT: Perhaps they can't be bothered thinking and in doing so, they would burn too many precious calories needed to become obese?
MNT 29 May 2006
In reply to andi_e:

He's on the fighting thread now, slagging us off as old w@nkers.

Brave of him!
 dannym2710 29 May 2006
In reply to GCW: i dont think i used the terma old wankers
 andi_e 29 May 2006
In reply to MNT: Oh dear, am I old already? I've barely entered adulthood!
MNT 29 May 2006
In reply to andi_e:

He's back!
Anonymous 30 May 2006
In reply to Ian Hill:

yes it all goes back to Morse speak

Rob Naylor 30 May 2006
In reply to Ian Hill:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor) txt speak of a sort started much earlier when telegrams really did financially restrict what you could say [...]

Unwant historifacts precomputerage stop Wordcount then criticpath not letternumber stop
In reply to GCW:

Some people find spelling difficult, often through no fault of their own, and are embarrassed by it. Txt spk is a good way of disguising that in text messages. It's one reason why some people prefer using it to predictive text on mobile phones.
It could be argued that tolerating txt spk on forums is a way of being more socially inclusive.
chembhoy 30 May 2006
In reply to GCW: I voted for MSN Messenger (and the like) being the reason - but also texting loads, with a character restriction of what 169 characters or something - I find myself going back through my messages and shortening some words so that the text fits into one message...

I reckon if someone cant understand how another person is writing - you could say "excuse me??" and the perpetrator would be perfectly capable and usually willing to write properly... we aint thick, we's jus go' a lot on our mindz so hav 2 spit it out real quik...
 Mikey_07 30 May 2006
In reply to GCW:

Txt speak dont rely annoy me. I fink some ppl jus get a bit pissed off wit it cos they struggle 2 undastand it. U rely shud jus try 2 not let it bover u cos 2 many ppl do it now. i can c de bonus in txt messages where cahraters r ltd but its not rely needed on a ukc forum.

Sorry for taking the piss mate.

Mikey.
 Ands 01 Jun 2006

> In the end, take a look at yourself, you are 29 years old and have to visit an internet forum every single day to keep yourself amused. Do you actually have a life?

I'm assuming that you have left your age out of your profile in an effort to stop people from taking you even less seriously than they already do due to the fact that your are clearly about 13 years old.

Ands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...