UKC

Joe Brown picture

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Al Downie 17 May 2001
I'm sure I remember a book which featured a load of old black & white pictures of climbers. I think there were some of the old Creag Dhu, but two that I can definitely remember were of Joe Brown: one was of him carrying a giant block of ice to the fire to make a 'brew', and the other was of him in a giant anorak with someone else hidden behind, but with his arms in the sleeves of the anorak, making JB look like a gorilla.

I don't know why these popped into my head, but I'd love to find the book again, and I'd be well chuffed if anyone can let me know what it might be. I'm fairly certain it's not from the Hard Rock series.

Thanks for any help.

See ya,

al
Michaelw 17 May 2001
In reply to Al Downie:
Not the book you want but I'm sure there are a couple of shots of him doing something in Poucher's pocket sized Peak & Pennines
Office Junior 17 May 2001
In reply to Al Downie:

It's JB's biography called 'The Hard Years.' An absolutely top class read.
Kipper 17 May 2001
In reply to Al Downie:
Al, I seem to remember that the gorilla picture was in a
Bonnington book (the first one, Born to Climb?).

I may be completely wrong, and have confused Sir Chris with a large ape.
OP T-man 17 May 2001
In reply to Kipper: "I choose to climb", I haven`t seen that picture in any of the editions I`ve seen.
chris j 17 May 2001
In reply to Al Downie: I think the gorilla picture's also in Welsh Rock by Trevor Jones??, been a couple of years since I read it so not 100% sure.
Office Junior 17 May 2001
In reply to Al Downie:

I'm telling you guys, that photo is in 'the Hard Years.' I'm sure it must be in other books too though.
jude calvert-toulmin 17 May 2001
In reply to Al Downie: Al, Mart's been reading a really really old climbing book with some great pictures in, it might be the one you're enquiring about but in any case it's a top read as it's kept mart quiet for about a week however i've forgotten my mobile so i can't ring him to ask him what it's called. i'll get the name later and post it when i get home.
lithos 17 May 2001
In reply to Al Downie:

the gorilla pic is as OJ says in The Hard Years,
JB's autobiog. top read.

caption mention hands like bunch of bananas or summink .
OP adam 17 May 2001
In reply to al:

Pictures also in "cunbrian rock" along with one of him laybacking up a free standing pole....
In reply to Al Downie: Well that book Mart's been reading is definitely not the one you were wondering about as it's Victorian! However Mart's cast some climbing mag aside to start reading it again so it must be good. It's called "Moors Crags and Caves of the High Peak" by E.A.Baker. Has anyone else read it?
 Mick Dewsbury 17 May 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin:
Hi Jude,
Yeah, I've got it. I've got a few of Baker's books, fascinating reading, especially 'between the lines'.
In reply to Mick Dewsbury: hi mick. recovered from my complimentastic email yet apparently that baker book was originally published in 1900 and is quite hard to get hold of now. a fairy good condition first edition is worth £75. a good place to get second hand rare out of print books is from amazon z shops. i got hold of a copy of "kandy meets the bunny babes" through z shops. a rare 1960's children's book about a sailor who goes to bunny land and meets different coloured bunnies with childrens' faces who get up to all sorts of mischief. i have yet to meet anyone who has ever read this book. it's not a climbing book. (lol)

i know it is sad that i am still here at this time of night. it's slump in front of top gear or rocktalk i'm afraid.
Simon C 18 May 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin:
Yeah, I've got "Moors, Crags..." and pretty good it is too. I'd also recommend "British Mountaineering" by Mr Benson (I forget his initials), very entertaining, especially the section on Mountaineering for Ladies.
I find the best source for old books is www.abebooks.com, more stock than amazon and they don't take a cut so the prices are lower.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...