UKC

Hemp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
1) Cannabis and hamp are the same. "Marijuana" was the mexican name given to cannabis.
2) Cannabis was first cultivated in china around 4000BC
3) The original drafts of the declaration of Independence were written on hemp paper
4) One acre of hemp will produce as much papaer as 4 acres of trees
5) Hemp is a source of fibre for cloth and cordage for rope. The hemp fibre is located inside the long stem of the plant
6) George washington and Thomas Jefferson grew hemp. Washington declared "Make the most of the hemp seed. Sow it everywhere"
7) Hemp seed is natures perfect food. The oil from hemp seed has the highest percentage of essential fatty acids and the lowest percentage of saturated facts.
8) Sterilized hemp seed is commonly sold as bird seed.
9) Many rolling papers are commonly made of hemp paper.
10) Five years after the sale / cultivation of hemp / marijuana was prohibited, the US department of agriculture released the film "Hemp for Victory" which encouraged American farmers to grow hemp for the war effort.
 rock waif 21 Jun 2006
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: And?
 Lego 21 Jun 2006
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain:

Hippy s**t - so how do you make a rope out of skunk?
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Lego:

depends how many you kill
 doz generale 21 Jun 2006

do you want to buy a poster of the mona lisa smoking a joint?

£5
 Lego 21 Jun 2006
In reply to doz generale:

lol - haven't seen that one in a while...
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
take
me
to
your
dealer
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: i like the pope, the pope smokes dope.
Clauso 21 Jun 2006

Roach are mad for it.
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:
dont panic
its organic
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:

I though he shat in the woods
In reply to rock waif:
11) Hemp is cultivated all over the world (including China, Italy, Hungary, Russia and France) for fibre, paper and other products
12)In 1988 the Drug Enforcement Administration's own administrative law judge concluded that "marijuana is one of the safest, therapeutically active substances known to man"
13) Cannabis can be used as a medicine to treat nausea, pain and muscle spasms. It alleviates symptoms of glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, AIDS, migraines and other debilitating ailments.
14) More than 95,000 people are arrested each year on marijuana charges in the UK (before decriminalisation)

and finally...

15) In the UK, 400 people die each day from cigarette smoking and 300 people die each day from alcohol abuse.
But in 10,000 years of usage, no one has ever died from Marijuana.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:
I enjoint amsterdam
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

Nah its the buses that you don't see when ya Fecked
brothersoulshine 21 Jun 2006

It was going so well until point 15.

No need to over egg the pudding.
James Jackson 21 Jun 2006

16) Cannabis is closely associated with psychosis, with ongoing research into this area
In reply to James Jackson:

17) And short term memory loss
18) People off their face on weed are about as interesting as people off their face on cocaine
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
> (In reply to James Jackson)
>
> 17) And short term memory loss
> 18) People off their face on weed are about as interesting as people off their face on cocaine

take you don't smoke. or am I taking a stab in the dark here

doz generale 21 Jun 2006

i thought that there was a bloke who was crushed by a truck transporting canabis resin. and that was the only recorded canabis death?
could just be an urban myth
ceri 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: yes, i was thinking point 12 was rather out of date.

(17) Most users of cannabis mix it with tobacco, with all the problems that has...
In reply to ceri:

I was just coming to the point 17, errm, point, that you raise.

Balti-whatknot: No, I like me mental health just as it is thanks
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: weed makes mental people go mental faster. it doesn't necessarily make "sane" people develop psychosis. that argument is as null and void as the one that says that pot leads to smack because all smackheads have smoked pot.
 doz generale 21 Jun 2006
>
> 17) And short term memory loss
> 18) People off their face on weed are about as interesting as people off their face on cocaine

17) and short term memory loss
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to balti boy: and short term memory loss
 big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to doz generale: I remember reading somewhere that in the days of LD50 tests (i.e. the dose at which 50% of the sample, usually rats, die) the extrapolated lethal dose for humans was 3kg...
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

sharp and serious.

good man.

its balti boy by the way ( sure you haven't been smoking as your vision may be blerred)
 S Andrew 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Ste Brom: and, er, short term memory loss
 JR 21 Jun 2006

if hemp is the same as cannabis and marijuana is the mexican name for cannabis then marijuana is hemp and i conclude that whymper died as a result of marijuana snapping.

19) Death is worse than Psychosis
20) The percentage of cannabis smokers developing psychosis is still lower than the percentage of tobacco smokers developing some kind of ailment as a direct result
21) Marijuana is just as commonly smoked pure in Bongs, Pipes and shotties as it is with tobacco giving a much more plesant high.
 JR 21 Jun 2006
In reply to JR:

...and on another more serious note; if you believe that it does nothing harmful to you then you clearly are on drugs...
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:

erm I think that you all may be wrong I belive it depends up some gene may be and a predisposition to it sane or insane.
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to JR: well, i guess its about as harmful as breathing in smoke, which really isnt that good, or id set fire to mattresses.

This is all silly anyway. Your cut and paste list missed off the most crucial point -

Why on earth is what you ingest (in such a manner as to not harm anyone else) the business of government?

22) Marijuana is not addictive
> 19) Death is worse than Psychosis

Why risk psychosis? Not smoking canabis won't make you dead

> 20) The percentage of cannabis smokers developing psychosis is still lower than the percentage of tobacco smokers developing some kind of ailment as a direct result

Why risk psychosis, or, for that fact, lung cancer?

> 21) Marijuana is just as commonly smoked pure in Bongs, Pipes and shotties as it is with tobacco giving a much more plesant high.

And a much higher concentration of the active compounds
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr: and short term memory loss

Point 22 - yes it is. It's not physically addictive (which is usually what people mean when they say 'it's not addictive'), but it's clearly psychologically addictive.
 happy_c 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: agreed , it was in the newspaper a while ago talking about that
 Jon Greengrass 21 Jun 2006
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: what about all the people left mentally ill; depressed, paranoid, schizophrenic after marijuana use?
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: err what indeed. not exactly an unbiassed or independent study, was it? i remember the days of "just say no" when we were all told that there were no such things as "soft" drugs... governmental lies continue to this day. alcohol does infinitely more harm than pot (I'm in NO way saying that pot is harmless btw). sugar is a worse drug than pot if you think about it.
In reply to brothersoulshine:

Yes, cut and paste up untill point 12.

In reply to James: Socially addictive, but like me - that addiction is very easily cured... unlike that of tobacco (and alcohol?)
 S Andrew 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Ste Brom: there was something else......
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

That's alright as you're not dead, apparantly. I don't know if the OP has seen the effects of psychosis first hand.
In reply to dominic_s:

I consider a peer-reviewed study to carry a damn sight more weight than your musings.
 S Andrew 21 Jun 2006
> what about all the people left mentally ill; depressed, paranoid, schizophrenic after marijuana use?

Or after work? Criminalise it!
 big 21 Jun 2006
> Not smoking canabis won't make you dead
>

It could if you went out and got hit by a truck when you could be sitting in front of the stereo sparking up a Camberwell
 S Andrew 21 Jun 2006

Are you teetotal or subject to alcohol-induced psychosis?
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
Playing devils advoacte here..

You all know shit.

One week new scientist is banging on about its virtues and giving the green light

next

A reversal in the light of new facts.

Depending on next weeks political agenda, it will be safe again.

Personally, a good joint is probably what half the people need on here, but there is no denying smoke is smoke is smoke, esp if its hash and not grass your toking up...
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: i consider my personal research into this matter to carry more weight than a study conducted 12,000 miles away.
In reply to Rid Skwerr:

I drink, but moderate drinking does not have a negative health risk. Moderate smoking (be that tobacco, weed, whatever) does.
In reply to dominic_s:

What's this? You don't think research carried out in another country is worth looking at? You are a tw*t of the highest order.
In reply to the young man:

> 19) Death is worse than Psychosis

do you speak from experience?

> Why risk psychosis? Not smoking canabis won't make you dead

Why risk liver failure by binge drinking?

> Why risk psychosis, or, for that fact, lung cancer?

So true, thats why im not a smoker. Im just stating facts.

> And a much higher concentration of the active compounds

...you will receive the same concentration of active compounds + that of tobacco by rolling a stronger joint (the alternative... if you smoke). Were going off the topic with this one...
 big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:
23) THC reduces blood sugar levels, meaning you usually fancy a bit of cheese on toast and a walnut whip afterwards.
In reply to James Jackson: 1 person with psychosis can kill a lot of people!
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to big: or a trip to the 24hr garage to mumble to an overweight CAMRA member at 3 in the morning...

packetofredrizlaandamarsbarandasnickersandsomecrispsta.
ceri 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s: I don think you can argue that there is no link between cannabis and schizophrenia. I cant be bothered to read all of this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?holding=&db=PubMed&cm...
but it does seem to suggest that there may be a link!
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
> (In reply to dominic_s)
You are a tw*t of the highest order.

careful he's a big man

S Andrew 21 Jun 2006

I envy your ability to discern these clear boundaries.
And your moderation.
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: i may well be; but i am a happy, well rounded character of a tw*t that doesn't get all wound up about nothing. don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
 S Andrew 21 Jun 2006
In reply to balti boy:

> careful he's a big man

87% head though but.

In reply to Rid Skwerr: i support the removal of the class A and B drug classifications
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
>
> You are a tw*t of the highest order.

Peace out man, chill, strangers are friends you never met dude....

A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr:

the rest of him isn't much different.

big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Ste Brom: I'd probably have been a CAMRA-man if my vision hadn't been so blurred
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to big: is that the same as a closed circuit trans vestite?
In reply to dominic_s:

I have a strong disregard for those who choose to ignore due scientific progress. This contempt equally applies to religion, practitioners of homeopathy etc etc.
 big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Ste Brom: Err, what was the question again?
Now Hillage, there was a proper bloke.
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr: nah, i'd hope not. I'm just a wind up merchant that hasn't had a smoke yet today!
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

religion, whats that got to do with it.

or are we reefer ing to Rastafarians man
In reply to Ste Brom:

GM plants and those grown under optimum conditions produce far far higher quantities of THC (the active ingredient in cannabis). As one Rastafarian once said in relation to me buying some skunk - "nah u dont want that man, thats the shit which messes people up. take this..." cabbage (aka the leaf of the plant rather than the bud). Prime example - you can smoke the same amount and not go mad if you know your stuff - legalisation would make this knowledge common knowledge... and hence, reduce the percentage of cases of mental illness.

James: you could do with a joint... or a nice hot bath with some relaxing music.

Jon: you have a good point. No i dont speak from experience but ive heard plenty of stories 2nd hand. Thats my personal opinion.
In reply to balti boy:

A belief in god, I count as disregarding due scientific processs.

I'm perfectly chilled out, just don't have time for drugs maaaaaan.
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

oooooo careful.

you may get a fatwah,
if there is no god how come he comes round here for fags and rizla when he's run out?

good on ya dude. how about a nice scottish whiskey and a cigar next to a roaring open fire?
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: i have an equally strong disregard for bad science (or scientific studies that are rigged (read "funded") to prove an hypothesis). I doubt there is a country on Earth that would fund and / or publish the findings of a truly independent study into the harmful and beneficial affects of marijuana. obviously Mr jackson, mainstream science is your religion and i'll let you remain there with your puritanical and evangelical blinkers on. I would like you to give me a reason why homeopathy is on your list though...
 big 21 Jun 2006
> (In reply to balti boy)
>
> A belief in god, I count as disregarding due scientific processs.

What science has disproved the existence of God?
Or on the other hand, proved it?
The sensible thing is to put it in the "Don't Know" box...

Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
>
> I have a strong disregard for those who choose to ignore due scientific progress. This contempt equally applies to religion, practitioners of homeopathy etc etc.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
 S Andrew 21 Jun 2006
>
>
> A belief in god, I count as disregarding due scientific processs.

Even if his initials are JJ?

big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:
> I would like you to give me a reason why homeopathy is on your list though...

Check out the homeopathy thread with about 400 replies!

Now that sounds like a plan, minus cigar, can't stand the ash-tray-in-the-morning taste
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to big:

Agreed.

just because you can't prove something exsists it doesn't mean it dosen't exsist.

or

just becasue you can't prove soneting doesn't exist it dosen't mean that it does.
In reply to big:

The concept of god seems to fit very well into the 'It can't be explained so we'll explain it away' category. I.e. - lightening before we knew about electromagnetism, floods before we knew about seasonal (and longer) climate variation etc etc.

I can see how, and why, in more primative times this requirement in god for some kind of stability and explaination occured, but in the modern age? I think not.

once again, good lad. I'll meet you in the old Dungeon Gill next week
In reply to balti boy:

Indeed, but science is a hell of a lot more convincing than god. All that's going for religion is some massivly re-translated historical works written by people for people, no evidence other than that.

Gimmer must be lovely at the moment...
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

ok dare you

stand on the top of tryfan in a copper suit of armour and shout 'all gods are bastards.
In reply to balti boy:

I'd be happy to. You ever heard of a faraday cage?
 big 21 Jun 2006
It strikes me that a belief in God is very much the same as a belief in no God.
Neither are provable either way (and I'm not talking about various human takes on the subject, Creationism etc), therefore the only option not involving an unprovable belief is Agnosticism!
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

yeh but I only think thats work sif you are not touching it!!!!

dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to big:
> [...]
>
> Check out the homeopathy thread with about 400 replies!

i haven't got the mental wherewithall to wade through the quagmire. whilst i like the phrase "quackery and bullshit" It's kind of damning with no evidence to back it up.
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to big:

to sit on the fence is no way to go.

go on join the enlightened

> I can see how, and why, in more primative times this requirement in god for some kind of stability and explaination occured, but in the modern age? I think not.

Everyones different, some people need something like a god to rely on for well being, reassurance etc. Travelling made me think about this, so many good things happen to you and everything falls into place so perfectly - can it all be coincidance?
In reply to balti boy:
>
> yeh but I only think thats work sif you are not touching it!!!!

Not true.
In reply to dominic_s:

I think the various double-blind trials that have been done that show homeopathy to be no more effective than placebo show it's quackery and bullshit. But, hang on, you don't seem to like science so I'd ignore that fact if I were you.
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

tell that to my yr 7 when he got a blast of the vandergraff.
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to balti boy:
>
> tell that to my yr 7 when he got a blast of the vandergraff.

wot a band man
 big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:
> (In reply to big)
> i haven't got the mental wherewithall to wade through the quagmire.

I wouldn't bother, it's descended to this sort of level of insult:

> You quite frankly are an idiot. You have grown up in a society that has developed a set of tools for understanding the world around us without falling prey to any wishful thinking. You have been exposed to an education that has required you to be taught how those reasoning systems work yet you have shown yourself to be utterly incapable of understanding either those systems or exerting the interlectual effort to try and follow the logic. Therefore you are either an idiot or wish yourself to be one. Your opions on this topic and on pretty much anything else that involves actual reality are about as usfull as those of as those of somebody blind from birth on the aesthtics of painting.
>
> When I dismiss your ideas as meangless bullsh*t it is because that is what they are, they have no bearing on or traction in reality. Unfortunatly you are talking to sombody who thinks that correct ideas and theorys are more valubale and more worthy of respect than the mutterings of idiots and charletons.

In reply to balti boy:

One certainly cannot prove a negative, that's an essential philosophical truth... Look at Bertram Russell's example that there is a teapot orbitting the Sun.

Extraordinary claims (such as 'god') demand extraordinary proofs, and the most extraordinary claims of science have such proofs. Quantum mechanics, general relativity etc. God has no such physical, tangible proof.
In reply to balti boy:

Yes, but I would imagine he wasn't in a faraday cage at the time.
 big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: But how many scientists are religious?
And what was before the (alleged ) Big Bang?
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: are you a scientist?
In reply to big:
> (In reply to James Jackson) But how many scientists are religious?

Some are, some aren't.

> And what was before the (alleged ) Big Bang?

It's illogical to talk about 'before'.
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
>
> I think the various double-blind trials that have been done that show homeopathy to be no more effective than placebo show it's quackery and bullshit. But, hang on, you don't seem to like science so I'd ignore that fact if I were you.

wtf? you're assuming an awful lot about someone you've never met young man. surely science tells you never to assume anything?
In reply to Ste Brom:

I have a Physics degree, and will shortly be starting a PhD in Particle Physics, so yeah, I suppose so.
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
Quantum mechanics, general relativity etc.

these are theories mate.

apply the chaos to these and they go up in a puff of smoke.

Einstein did fudge some of his results.

Not to mention science isn't always right a few years ago steven Hawkins had to apologise for getting it wrong and plunging the world of science into a bit of a spiral

cannot rebember which theory though.

In reply to Ste Brom:
> are you a scientist?

No hes a priest

In reply to dominic_s:

It's an inference. You do that in science. You don't like a study that was done 12,000 miles away for that very reason. As one would think peer reviewed science is isotropic, science 12,000 miles away is just as important as science here, therefore you must disregard all science.
prana 21 Jun 2006
24) james hunt was a heavy grass smoker (as was steve mcqueen)
i wonder if he ever sneaked off for a few spliffs before a race, like he did when he was commentating
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: You sure? You sound an awful lot like Ian Paisley..
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

respect due going for the Phd. hard work

S Andrew 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

>
> wot a band man

Scientists though. H to He.
Though JJ seems to think he am the only one.
In reply to balti boy:

Quantum mechanics - the most strongly experimentially tested theory ever. Every prediction it's ever made (in its various guises) has been experimentially tested to remarkable accuracy.

General relativity - same applies

Your statement 'apply the chaos...' is nonsensical.

Einstein did not fudge results, I'd like to see where you think that idea comes from.

No, science isn't always right at all. It's always changing, that's its nature.
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
> therefore you must disregard all science.

he usually does

In reply to prana:

Some of the finest art in the world has been created whilst "under the influence". Da Vinci and Van Gough for examples.
 big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: You'll be pleased to hear I've got a chemistry degree and almost did an MSc in biosynthesis of anti-Hodgkins compounds in the Madagascan Periwinkle.
But decided being a sound engineer was more me...
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
>
> It's an inference. You do that in science. You don't like a study that was done 12,000 miles away for that very reason. As one would think peer reviewed science is isotropic, science 12,000 miles away is just as important as science here, therefore you must disregard all science.

It's that kind of total blind faith that makes me dislike fanatics of all persuasions. you tell me i "must" do something because you say so... in what way are you dissimilar to the inquisition? I am simply a cathar to your pope.
Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s: I told you he sounded like Ian Paisley; tut, young boys with degrees, will they ever learn...
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006

ok used to be into science physics and stuff but read this.

Chaos by james Gleick.

it only takes a small error, or physical change say a freek elcetorn carries a nano amp more of a cahrge than another.

The effect on other particles multiplied out by many interactions makes a big difference.

Bang your theory/fact is out of the window.

I'm an evolutionist now.
everything exsist because of intercations with other things how ever big or small and these object evolve/adapt/change depending upon those intercations.

therefore even the laws of physics are evolving (yes slowly) as they did from the big bang (if that did ever happen)
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:

LOL

I am simply a cathar to your pope

didn't now you had a tube up ya butt.
 big 21 Jun 2006
In reply to balti boy: Pope, not poop!
prana 21 Jun 2006
25) Rudolph Diesel designed his engine to run on hemp oil.
26) Cannabis was even given to Queen Victoria by her court physician (for period pains sp)
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to big:

ahhh critcal error
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to prana:
27) it makes people happy.
 dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to balti boy:
> (In reply to big)
>
> ahhh critcal error

a catheter for your poop? nasty science.
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:

28) keeps scallies off the streets
prana 21 Jun 2006

Cannabis legend and consumption are fundamental aspects of many of the world’s great religions. For example:

SHINTOISM (Japan) - Cannabis was used for the binding together of married couples, to drive away evil spirits, and was thought to create laughter and happiness in marriage.

HINDUISM (India) - The God Shiva is said to have brought cannabis from the Himalayas for human enjoyment and enlightenment. The Sadhu Priests travel throughout India and the world sharing chillum pipes filled with cannabis, sometimes blended with other substances.

In the Bhagavad-gita, Krishna states, I am the healing herb (Ch.9:16), while the Bhagarat-purana Fifth Canto describes hashish in explicitly sexual terms.

BUDDHISM (Tibet, India and China) - from the 5th Century B.C.E. on - ritually used cannabis; initiation rites and mystical experiences were (are) common in many Chinese Buddhist sects.

Some Tibetan Buddhists and lamas (priests) consider cannabis their most holy plant. Many Buddhist traditions, writings, and beliefs indicate that Siddhartha (the Buddha) himself, used and ate nothing but hemp and its seeds for six years prior to announcing (discovering) his truths and becoming the Buddha (Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path).

Regarding the ZOROASTRIANS or Magi (Persia, circa 8th to 7th Centuries B.C. to 3rd to 4th Centuries A.D.), it is widely believed by many Christian scholars, commentators, etc., that the three Magi or Wise Men who attended the birth of Christ were cult references to the Zoroastrians.

The Zoroastrian religion was based (at least on the surface) on the entire cannabis plant, the chief religious sacrament of its priest class, and its most important medicine, (e.g., obstetrics, incense rites, anointing and christening oils), as well as lighting of fire oils in their secular world. The word magic is generally considered derived from the Zoroastrians - Magi.

The ESSENES (ancient Israeli sect of extreme Hebrewites, approx. 200 B.C. to 73 A.D.) - used hemp medicinally, as did the THERAPUTEA (Egypt), from whom we get the term therapeutic.

Both are believed by some scholars to be disciples of, or in a brotherhood with, the priests/magicians of the Zoroastrians.

EARLY JEWS - As part of their holy Friday night services in the Temple of Solomon, 60-80,000 men ritually passed around and inhaled 20,000 incense burners filled with kanabosom (cannabis), before returning home for the largest meal of the week (munchies?).

SUFIS OF ISLAM (Middle East) - Moslem mystical priests who have taught, used and extolled cannabis for divine revelation, insight and oneness with Allah, for at least the last 1,000 years.

Many Moslem and world scholars believe the mysticism of the Sufi Priests was actually that of the Zoroastrians who survived Moslem conquests of the 7th and 8th Centuries A.D. and subsequent conversion (change your religion and give up liquor or be beheaded).

COPTIC CHRISTIAN (Egypt/Ethiopia) - Some sects believe the sacred green herb of the field in the Bible (I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more Ezekiel 34:29) and the Biblical secret incenses, sweet incenses and anointing oils to be cannabis.

The RASTAFARIANS (Jamaica and elsewhere) are a contemporary religious sect that uses ganja as its sacred sacrament to communicate with God (Jah).
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:
> (In reply to balti boy)
> [...]
>
> a catheter for your poop? nasty science.

never know how running it may be ( didn't want to write penis)

Iain Ridgway 21 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s: "sugar is a worse drug than pot if you think about it. "

Could you please explain why?

Exessive sugar maybe, but without glucose we'd be dead!
prana 21 Jun 2006
> (In reply to Ste Brom)
>
> I have a Physics degree, and will shortly be starting a PhD in Particle Physics, so yeah, I suppose so.

a hash brownie or ten might give you some interesting insights into your particular world
 A Crook 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Iain Ridgway:

cue argumnet from dominic s yet from the other angle contradicting himself

dominic_s 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Iain Ridgway:
> (In reply to dominic_s) "sugar is a worse drug than pot if you think about it. "
>
> Could you please explain why?
>
> Exessive sugar maybe, but without glucose we'd be dead!

ever heard of the slave trade? millions of lives wiped out for what exactly? growing sugar cane to feed the sucrose addcitions of wealthy westerners. quite apart from modern day obesity and dental health.
mattsard 21 Jun 2006
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: 14) More than 95,000 people are arrested each year on marijuana charges in the UK (before decriminalisation) .................... sorry you're wrong it's a class C drug under the misuse of drugs act 1971 and you can still be arrested for possessing it

Ste Brom 21 Jun 2006
In reply to mattsard:
> (In reply to the real weeman) 14) More than 95,000 people are arrested each year on marijuana charges in the UK (before decriminalisation) .................... sorry you're wrong it's a class C drug under the misuse of drugs act 1971 and you can still be arrested for possessing it

cool. i was born in 71.

er.
Finally, concrete proof that cannabis DOES cause mental illness - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=187915
In reply to Ste Brom:
only if you possess 1/4oz or more if i remember correctly, above which it is classed as "intent to supply". The majority of those arrested before the recent changes in the law would have possessed less than this..
>
> I consider a peer-reviewed study to carry a damn sight more weight than your musings.

I consider using a journalist's 250 word story about a science issue to be worth very little.

The best way to attach weight to an article in this area, where there is lots of politics involved, is to read it oneself. Coming from a "hard" science background, you probably are not familiar with just how different this area can be.

Don't forget, Stephen Wakefield published in a peer-reviewed journal.
 Jon Greengrass 22 Jun 2006
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: some of the art consisdered the finest in the world was not considered great until its creators were dead.
 S Andrew 22 Jun 2006

Often crushed under bales of the very hemp that inspired them.
 Jon Greengrass 22 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:

28) it does not make all people happy. THC is a hallucinogen so it doesn,t change mood it changes perception.
 Ian McNeill 22 Jun 2006

> But in 10,000 years of usage, no one has ever died from Marijuana.

Agree but there are many screwed up people who have smoke a spliff too many
 Timmd 22 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:
> (In reply to the real weeman) weed makes mental people go mental faster. it doesn't necessarily make "sane" people develop psychosis. that argument is as null and void as the one that says that pot leads to smack because all smackheads have smoked pot.

I think they have found a gene now which makes you more prone to mental health problems from smoking cannabis,or specifically scitzophrenia i can't remember which,my mate was diagnosed with scitzophrenia after a lot of dope smoking,and i wasn't,even though i was paranoid for a bit,i guess he has the gene and i don't,which is lucky for me,it's pot luck no pun intended untill there's a test available for people to have so they can find out if they're at risk.
Pete W 22 Jun 2006

Just to show my ignorance; what do you do if you don´t smoke?

Pete
 big 22 Jun 2006
In reply to Ian McNeill:
>> there are many screwed up people who have smoke a spliff too many

Aye, and there's many who've never had a toke in their lives!

Gav M 22 Jun 2006
>
> I have a strong disregard for those who choose to ignore due scientific progress.

You young fellers are all the same. 'Progress' is often merely a shift in emphasis to align results with the dominant political view of the time. This helps to secure further funding and leads to yet more progress.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...