UKC

postmans knot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Julie Black 11 Jul 2006
What is a postmans knot? ism tis the knot that is tied on the end of the rope in case the rope runs out? Why iosn't standard practice to tie this knot? Its certainly something I've never been tuaght but have realsied for myself after a YEAR of climbing and an accident caused by not having this knot that it is very important.
 DaveR 11 Jul 2006
In reply to Julie Black:

no idea what a postmans knot is, but I use an overhand not to stop me absailing off the end of the rope
 Wingnut 11 Jul 2006
In reply to Julie Black:
Never heard of a postman's knot, and can't find anything on google, but do make a habit of either tying into or putting a knot in the end of the rope if there's any chance of lowering someone off the end. (Get this relatively often indoors and had the same thing at Horseshoe on Sunday). Always thought this *was* a relatively obvious thing to do!
 CT 11 Jul 2006
In reply to Julie Black: Have heard of a parcel knot, but not postmans knot.
Hotbad Peteel 11 Jul 2006
In reply to Julie Black:

almost everyone does this if they need to whether they realise it or not. If your on single pitch stuff you've normally got enough rope to lower off without running out of rope. If your abseiling, most people will tie a stopper knot in the ends or at least watch the ends hit the ground, and if multipitching you'll be tied in to either end anyway, doing away with the need for a stopper knot. Fishermans is a better knot though
p
 Dave Stelmach 11 Jul 2006
In reply to Julie Black: It's a slip knot used to tie wives to bedposts!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...