UKC

Tying in when using a doubled up half rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
What is the 'correct' way to go about this?
Obviously the leader ties into the 2 ends, but how does the second tie in:
1) Rethreaded fig. 8 - will be a massive knot using about half the rope
2) Bowline - again alot of rope used
3) Alpine Butterfly/fig. 8 and clip in - not ideal "adding more links to the chain" potential for cross-loading

Yes, I'm am aware of the brilliant Chris Tan Death Knot. However, I am taking a less experienced mate out on grit, for some practise using double ropes (I only want to carry one in this heat), and would like to be able to say "this is the correct way ..." before adding "but everyone just does it like this". Setting a good example and all.

Cheers in advance

Fraser
 DaveR 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User:

I've tied in using the doubled up end using a rethreaded fig 8, ends up in a huge knot though. Shouldn't matter weather you are leading on it or not.
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
In reply to DaveR:

Cheers, was wondering if there was an alterative which gave a smaller knot and used less rope.
 Caralynh 18 Jul 2006

I use 3. Sometimes 1, but usually 3.
Ian Straton 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: I would tend to tie the leader to the middle of the rope, that way any twists or kinks can work their way out. as for the knot, given that there is no possibilty of the knot capsizing under load in this case I would thik an overhand knot as close as possible to the harness is as good as anything else, but that's probably because I don't know how to tie an alpine butterfly!
Ian Straton 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton: sorry should have said: "overhand knot clipped to the harness with a screwgate." I think a rethreaded knot of any ilk is likly to end up huge!
 davidwright 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: Use 3 tends to be the alpine butterfly rather than the fig 8 though these days. Is the prefered way of tying on to the middle in the alps when carrying coils so should cope with stanage...
Alex Purser 18 Jul 2006

I still don't know what the Chris Tan death knot is. Someone enlighten me.
 Richard 18 Jul 2006

Bowline-on-the-bight in the middle of the rope gives a solid, small knot. Safer than the Chris Tan death knot but similar. I use it all the time*.

(*Now someone will tell me that I'm shortly Going To Die.)
 Neil Conway 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

The alpine butterfly: http://www.iwillknot.com/butterfly_knot/
 Richard 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

> Bowline-on-the-bight in the middle of the rope gives a solid, small knot. Safer than the Chris Tan death knot but similar. I use it all the time*.

Oh, and here's how to tie one:
http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/bowlineonabight.htm

At step 4 you pass the loop over your head and step through it, dress the knot, and then adjust lengths so you don't have a two foot loop...
OP Anonymous 18 Jul 2006

> 2) Bowline - again alot of rope used
does it like this". Setting a good example and all.

I use a bowline on a bight: Start tying on as though you are going to do a standard bowline (with the doubled rope), but after you have passed the doubled end through the loop step through the loop formed by the double end (rather than passing it round the standing end) and tighten up the knot.

It is a good knot as it is neat, and cannot come undone, even without stoppers. The main disadvantage is that it isn't all that quick to untie (but even this isn't too bad with a bit of practice.

Mark
Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII SP2 18 Jul 2006
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

Now that I like, cheers.

Presumably you can lead on that too, unlike the CTDK
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII SP2:

I usually do that!! but seeing as how petzl condone it I thought I ought to show my mate a 'proper' way of doing it.
 Richard 18 Jul 2006

> Presumably you can lead on that too, unlike the CTDK

I do, and can't think why it might be a problem (unless, for some reason, I had to untie half-way up something, or there was for some reason a risk of one of the loops-to-harness getting severed).
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:
> I do, and can't think why it might be a problem (unless, for some reason, I had to untie half-way up something...)

Hmm, could make escaping the system a bit tricky, but how often does anyone do that on a poxy grit route?
 Marc C 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: I'm confused. Are you talking about tying directly on using this (so the loop of the knot is effectively your waistband) or is the bight threaded through your harness?
 Richard 18 Jul 2006

> Hmm, could make escaping the system a bit tricky, but how often does anyone do that on a poxy grit route?

I suppose. But not that much harder than escaping the system if the load is on the tie-in-loops any other way. If you find yourself short of rope to untie because you've used it to build a belay though...
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

The latter
OP Anonymous 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

> I do, and can't think why it might be a problem (unless, for some reason, I had to untie half-way up something, or there was for some reason a risk of one of the loops-to-harness getting severed).

If you look at how the knot behaves, then you can see that when each strand is loaded the knot works exactly the same way as a standard bowine would. In fact, the knot was originaly devised as a way of creating two independent loops, so there's no worries there. As you say, the only issue is not being able to untie in a hurry (or without sufficient rope).

Incidently, I've found that the best way to use it, because of the faff of untying, is for one person to tie in at the start, and for him to keep the rope with him throughout (i.e. coil it over his shoulders at the top before walking down).

Mark

Richard 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

> If you look at how the knot behaves, then you can see that when each strand is loaded the knot works exactly the same way as a standard bowine would. In fact, the knot was originaly devised as a way of creating two independent loops, so there's no worries there.

Ooh, yes. Good point.
 Marc C 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous: Excuse my ignorance, but what would be wrong with just clipping into a screwgate carabiner (clipped around your waistbelt, or into your front belay loop) using the loop of a Fig of 8 or bowline?
 Richard 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

I've always just felt that unnecessarily added links to the chain and thus a small-but-finite increased risk of something failing, such as the crab working open, cross-loading, or whatever. Maybe not likely, but easily avoidable. Less of an issue for seconding, though.
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Nothing really, but it is not ideal for 2 reasons:
1) Possiblity of cross loading karabiner
2) You are adding links the chain; clipping in there are 3 things to fail the knot, th krab, and the belay loop, by tying in you reducing the number of links to one, the knot.

Hope this makes sense
 Marc C 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: Very quick to release yourself from the system though (voluntarily!)
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

I must type faster
 Richard 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Richard) Very quick to release yourself from the system though (voluntarily!)

Or with a knife (although expensive, that - and I don't tend to carry one...).
OP Anonymous 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Anonymous) Excuse my ignorance, but what would be wrong with just clipping into a screwgate carabiner (clipped around your waistbelt, or into your front belay loop) using the loop of a Fig of 8 or bowline?

Not much I wouldn't have thought, but it's a bit untidy, and I think a lot of people think that the risk of cross loading the carabiner is too great. Can't imagine it'd be an issue if you don't fall very far though.

Mark

Marc C 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: Thanks. Understand the 'negatives', but when seconding single-pitch grit routes, seems a quick, convenient and safe way to tie on.
 Richard 18 Jul 2006

I find it easier if you fail to proof-read what you've typed and allow odd grammatical errors to creep in.
 Richard 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Personally it's more the potential for cross-loading that I'd be worried about, and if the rope's always above you and you're not going to fall very far (as in seconding, or top-roping) clipping in with a crab wouldn't worry me at all.

I use a rethreaded overhand, or a fig 8 and screwgate karibiner. If it's a super-skinny half-rope I sometimes use a bunny knot and screwgate karibiner.
 CurlyStevo 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
cross loaded crab is still bloody strong roughly 8-10 kn

Stevo
OP Anonymous 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> ... when seconding single-pitch grit routes, seems a quick, convenient and safe way to tie on.

Another consideration is that if you're only using one rope then it's best for the leader to tie on to the middle; to stop the rope getting too twisted. i.e. it's good to have a system for tying onto the middle with that you woudn't mind falling on.

Mark

garethmorgan 18 Jul 2006
A bowline tied with a doubled rope works fine for me - less faff than the 'step through' method, I would've thought (although I've never tried it). With a half rope it's not too big a knot, certainly smaller than a figure-8. And just to reiterate, it's better for the leader to tie into the middle (not least because the leader's likely to be more experienced and happier to tie in with a non-standard knot).
Removed User 18 Jul 2006
In reply to all:

Cheers, the leader tying into the middle thing is something I'd never thought about, but it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again.

Fraser
 Marc C 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: me neither. so educational this place!
OP Anonymous 18 Jul 2006
In reply to garethmorgan:

> A bowline tied with a doubled rope works fine for me - less faff than the 'step through' method, I would've thought

Possibly, but you can get pretty slick with a little practice; it's certainly a lot quicker than the two rethreaded figure of eights that you would normally do. Personally, I like the neatness and security of the bowline on a bight, but I can see why you may prefer the normal knot.

Mark

OP Anonymous 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: I tie into the middle using a modified fishermans - tie an overhand in the bight, pass thru harness, pass 'end' through o/hand loop heading away from you, tie o/h or stopper knot round main rope. Then clip the little end loop into your harness. Its smaller than a fig 8.

kevinknights
 Richard 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to fraserhughes) me neither. so educational this place!

I missed that he was talking about tying the second into the middle of the rope in the OP, rather than the leader...
Chris Tan ( with halo & harp 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
>i.e. it's good to have a system for tying onto the middle with that you woudn't mind falling on.

I've taken several 20 footers onto the CTDK - obviously it works!

< Usual laugh follows>
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Tan: Having sat here for 20 minutes with 2m of electrical flex trying to figure out how to tie into a harness (NOT directly round my waist) with a bowline on the bight, can anyone explain/illustrate this for Mr. Numpty here?
Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII SP2 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Raised eyebrows and worried looks from Mrs. C! No doubt!
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII SP2: Hah! Actually, she keeps dragging my chair directly underneath the light fitting and gesticulating to me to test the knot's strength by tying the rope around my neck then kicking the chair away...all very mystifying!
In reply to Marc C:

Maybe the OP can clarify but have a look at http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/bowlineonabight.htm

At step 2, the two strands at the bottom of the picture loop into your harness.

At step 4, the loop goes over you ( like the CTDK).

At step 5, you will need to feather the knot so that the loop connected to your harness is smaller.

Hope this makes sense.
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII SP2: So am I right in thinking that the rope passes through the harness but the main loop (shown in Finished Bowline on a Bight- Front View) goes around the waist?
Removed User 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> So am I right in thinking that the rope passes through the harness but the main loop (shown in Finished Bowline on a Bight- Front View) goes around the waist?

Err, no . The loop shown in the finished views should follow your belay loop. When you pass the loop (in step 4) over your head, you then need to step have over it, are you doing this?

I've just managed it, it was rather fiddly the firt time few times, but can get quite slick with practise.

Hope that helps, not a very good explanation I know!
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: Aha! Got it! ta. How very weird. Can't quite picture me doing that at Death Bivouac with mountain boots and crampons on

'Feather' it? More like 'pluck' it stupid until it's into shape!
In reply to Marc C:

CTDK - for climbers with only 1/2 a brain cell!

Left!
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII SP2: This CTDK - how come you're still alive? People could sue you for misrepresentation under the Sale of Knots Act!
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: One finer point: Does one leave quite a large loop to belay into - or slide it quite tight?

PS please don't send the pictures! Unless a female friend is modelling the knot!
In reply to Marc C:

Read the very, very fine print at the bottom left hand corner of the instructions just behind the picture of the madonna with the (.)(.)

"Use of this knot may not result in instantaneous death. Death however is inevitable, at some point in the user's lifetime."
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII SP2: ah, the Cuprinol philosophy - does what it says it does on the tin (only in lettering that you need a microscope to read).

Right, I've got to do a bit shopping. But first got to undo this immaculately bowline-tied electrical flex I've got woven around the belt loop of my jeans
Removed User 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

I slid it quite tight, about the same size loop as I'd have with a rethreaded fig. 8.

OK, I'll spare you the pictures of my crotch, although seeing your profile pic you could hardly complain!!
Removed User 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

> Right, I've got to do a bit shopping. But first got to undo this immaculately bowline-tied electrical flex I've got woven around the belt loop of my jeans

Remember to reverse the process to untie, i.e. step over the loop, then pass it over your head. I forgot first time, passed it over my head then stepped over it again! Got in a right state, thought I was never going to escape.

Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: Ha ha! I don't HAVE to - I simply slid the two loose ends of my electrical flex through the knot... what a cheat!
Removed User 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:
Try that with 60m of rope at the crag and then we will see who is laughing
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: Idle musing... wonder how strong and safe electrical flex would be for climbing?
Chris Tan.Clone 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Don't even try using polybags as quickdraws! Trust me on this one
Removed User 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Hmm, might hold your weight, but I don't think it would be very dynamic ?!

<goes in search of electric flex>
Removed User 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Tan.Clone:
> (In reply to Marc C)
>
> Don't even try using polybags as quickdraws! Trust me on this one

I was think of gaffer tape, only problem would be getting it off the krabs again
 Marc C 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Removed User: I believe that Mr. Tan has already had cause to use extra-sticky gaffer tape to remove a nasty case of crabs!
Removed User 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Thanks, thats me having nightmares then!

<shudders>

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...