UKC

White Spider

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
peter pan 29 Jul 2006
Took a copy of Heinrich Harrers White Spider on holiday. Excellent read if you have a love & knowledge of mountaineering & the Alps. One observation; He wasn’t very complementary of Italian climbers & One bit of advice; Don’t take a book to read that you want to keep, on a hot climate foreign holiday. Because they have a tendency to disintegrate before you eyes. Anyone else read this book & have any views on it?

PP.
 Greenbanks 29 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan:

I read it aged 14 and it inspired me. The stuff about Italian climbers is predictable and I took it subsequently with a pinch of salt.

Great book, full of meaning and icons of our sport
 Al Evans 29 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan: I always have a copy, and have read it at least half a dozen times.
Al
 Tony Buckley 29 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan: One of the classics. The writing style has dated considerably but perhaps because of that it does retain a period charm, as well as an authority because of the author's involvement in the first ascent. Mind you, at the rate is seems to be falling down, the Eigerwand will soon be quite literally a walk...

T.
peter pan 29 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan:

My only criticism would be that book contained over 300 pages, but only included half a dozen photographs. Mind you 50/60 years ago good quality photos wouldn’t have been so easy to come across I suppose.

PP
 Greenbanks 29 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan:

Would you have wanted a 'good quality photo' of the most iconic image of all??
peter pan 29 Jul 2006
In reply to Greenbanks:

What, you mean Mr Kutz. Dying on a rope, six feet from rescue :O(

PP
 Greenbanks 29 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan:

Yes. Good job Sky News weren't about at the time: they'd have been asking "How's in goin' , Toni" from the railway window.
 Rob Exile Ward 29 Jul 2006
In reply to Greenbanks: As a matter of interest, was he a Nazi?
peter pan 29 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan:

The author was a member of the SS, not to sure about Kurz thou.
 Greenbanks 29 Jul 2006
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Yes, he was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Harrer

But there has been discussion on both sides of the coin (a) that his 'confession' was simply to ensure his status and/or (b) that his membership was a flag of convenience, to ensure his continued ability to climb.

Wonder if there were any budding 6c leaders amongst the holocaust victims?
 Al Evans 30 Jul 2006
In reply to Greenbanks: He was an icon for the SS and the nazis, but I dont thinkl it was any actual participation in their activities, for him it was a flag of coveinience to allow him to climb, after all he did become the Dali Lama's personal tutor. Hardly a candidate for Nazi proclivities.
peter pan 30 Jul 2006
In reply to Greenbanks:
> (In reply to peter pan)
>
> Would you have wanted a 'good quality photo' of the most iconic image of all??

There are plenty more graphically told mountaineering tales of hardship & death. I read “Life & Limb” last year, that was a wrencher too. His rehab story was incredible.

PP
 Greenbanks 30 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan:

Oh I agree. But the Kurtz image said enough, its grey grain synonymous with death I guess. Who'd want more?
Hannah m 30 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan:
Sunday Times today has an article about Alison Hargreaves' son who is going to attempt to be the youngest ever to solo the N Face next year(he's17).

Rob Exile Ward 30 Jul 2006
In reply to Hannah m: Poor sod.
In reply to Greenbanks: 'Wonder if there were any budding 6c leaders amongst the holocaust victims?'

I think that's an extraordinary point. 6 million - you can count on it. And budding Mozarts, Einsteins, Gandhis, Mandelas, Claptons, Brechts in fact there will have been potential leaders of virtually any other sphere of human endeavour you care to mention. Thrown into ovens.
peter pan 30 Jul 2006
In reply to Hannah m:
> (In reply to peter pan)
> Sunday Times today has an article about Alison Hargreaves' son who is going to attempt to be the youngest ever to solo the N Face next year(he's17).

Aye, good shout
<a href="http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1105592006" target="_blank">here</a>
 Greenbanks 30 Jul 2006
In reply to peter pan:

Complete with media hyperbole:

"the treacherous north face of the notorious Swiss mountain"

Class.
 Bob 30 Jul 2006
In reply to Hannah m:

Unfortunately he's too late - there was a German lad of 16 who did it with his father (aged 60) in 1985.

boB
In reply to Bob: You still here Bob? You missed the point - Hargreaves lad is (apparantly) contemplating a *solo* ascent.

JB, give him a good talking to. You must know it isn't worth it.
 Bob 31 Jul 2006

Ah, my alcohol raddled brain missed that bit

boB
Edward Sloperhands6679 31 Jul 2006

> JB, give him a good talking to. You must know it isn't worth it.

Damn right, it would be a shame to lose 2 generations of the same family in the mountains thanks to the pressure of the media for 'firsts'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...