UKC

How to clear Platypus Water Tube

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marion Leister 08 Aug 2006
Hi Folks
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep a water tube clean and prevent it from furring up. I'm fed up with buying new tubes.

Thanks for any advice given.
Marion
 Cameron13 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Marion Leister:

soak it in milton... but rinse thoroughly afterwards otherwise water tastes of shit for weeks!
williamnomates 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Marion Leister: Use bi-carb of Soda in hot water couple of teaspoons should do it. Leave over night.

You get Bi-carbonate of Soda at the supermarket
Allister Clark 08 Aug 2006
In reply to williamnomates: all of the above work but i always put my platypus in the freezer after use, no germs, tis all good!
 rock waif 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Allister Clark: yes and that dirt comes out much easier after it's been frozen. it seems to separate from the rubber.
charliewimbledon 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Marion Leister: You can buy Camelback cleaning kits from outdoor shops - about a tenner - they're just like an oversized pipe-cleaner. Otherwise use a coathanger with a bit of cloth on the end!

I agree with freezing - guaranteed to stay mould-free!
 Chris Fryer 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Cameron13: plain bleach in small doses works fine too.
 rallymania 09 Aug 2006
In reply to charliewimbledon:
hot tip BTW

you can't get the pipe cleaner all the way through the hose with the white plastic connector still fitted so, put boiling water in a cup, insert pipe and connector in boiling water for approx 30secs, remove and using a teatowel or similar, gently pull the connector out the pipe. use more hot water as needed.
you can then clean the pipe all the way through.
refitting is the same process, heat the pipe in boiling water and gentle push the connector back in.

works a treat

chrisw 09 Aug 2006
One word....

Vanish

A friend of mine who spends a LOT of time cleaning up a variety of organic type stuff to "laboratory clean" standards using vanish and swears by it.

I tried it a while back on stainless steel mugs with tea stains (Im told one of the hardest things ever to shift). Came up just like new after a half hour soak.

Make sure you rinse through well afterwards.
 zephr 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Marion Leister: use a piece of thread tied onto a big needle- then use a sheetbend to attach it to a piece of string and pull that through until you have it all the way through-
tie a knot somewhere in the string and pull it through and then pull it back etc until clean.

simple
AliceW 09 Aug 2006

What do you drink out of it?

I just drain the water out of mine, and it seems to be fine, no need for further cleaning.
 obi-wan nick b 09 Aug 2006
In reply to zephr:When I get home I strip it down to the component parts and leave on a windowledge to dry in the sun. Sunlight UV sterilyses the whole thing with no need to wash out any residues
 Simon Caldwell 09 Aug 2006
In reply to charliewimbledon:
> You can buy Camelback cleaning kits from outdoor shops - about a tenner

Or exactly the same sized brush can be bought from the local hardware shop for about £1.50!
Many thanks to everyone who responded. I only have water in it and always take it apart and let it drain, but still it get furred up.

I like the sound of the bi-carb and the fridge option.
Again many thansk for all he tips.
Marion
MaxWilliam 10 Aug 2006

Milton will not get rid of calcium type deposits. Vinegar might.

I run cooled boiled water through mine (less mineral content than tap water) or use distilled. Then take the bite valve off, hold tube at end go in garden and swing it round as fast as you can (until it makes a humming noise!). Most of the water will come out and you will not have a problem!

Alternatively... the plastic tube is cheap to buy, 50p a metre or something. Find a supplier, buy a few metres to last a while, cut to suit and replace every so often. A lot cheaper than buying the platy kit.

I'll try and track down a supplier that is online.....
MaxWilliam 10 Aug 2006
In reply to MaxWilliam:

What you need I is:

Clear PVC tubing (flexible, unreinforced)
Size (I think as Platy US) 1/4 ID (3/8 OD)
http://www.hyphose.com/pvc.htm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...