UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Climbing magazine revolution?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 Aug 2006
There are now, or just about to be, nine climbing magazines available in the UK, six of which are published specifically for the UK market.

Four climbers take a close look at one of them, the brand-new, Vertical magazine (English edition).

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=221
 Simon 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Think my review may have been more favourable if the mag had a few of the vertcal girls in it!!

;0)
Wes 19 Aug 2006

Bought this in Chamonix and it did remind me of Alpinist which is my fav mag.

Not a bad job all round.

Quite fancy the idea of this new mag...
 Doug 25 Aug 2006
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:
I was in Britain for the last couple of weeks, mostly in Scotland & although I visited several 'outdoor' shops & a few newsagents I think I only saw 'Vertical' on sale in one shop - whereas here in France its widely available in newsagents, even here in Paris well away from the mountains.

Did I get a false impression or does it have distribution problems ?

And has anyone found a website yet ? I'm sure the publisher is Niveales but theres no mention of Vertical on their website (http://www.niveales.com/ )
john redshaw 25 Aug 2006
In reply to Doug: Got mine at whsmiths, pretty good circulation if they are already on the high street
 The sharp end 28 Aug 2006
In reply to john redshaw:

Can confirm my local WHSmiths here in Shropshire has now got many copies of Vertical too. So yes pretty good circulation.

Doug 28 Aug 2006
In reply to The sharp end: Guess the Smiths I visted weren't typical (mostly in SE England) but I did see very few places stocking it during 2 weeks in Scotland compared to here in France.

The sharp end 28 Aug 2006
In reply to Doug:

How odd? As I really wouldn't consider our smiths a typical one.

tobyfk 28 Aug 2006
In reply to The sharp end:

<hijack> Hi Patricia ... what did you decide about Bahrain? <hijack>
 callum 28 Aug 2006
In reply to Doug: Hi Doug! WHSmiths in Inverness has it in stock, havent checked any of the outdoor shops or Borders yet.
 CJD 28 Aug 2006

just bought a copy (if it's stocked in Huddersfield it's stocked everywhere!) and on first reading I'm struck by the slightly more heavyweight feel to some of the articles - and that isn't a criticism. The likes of Climber can often come across as massively gritcentric and aimed more at the punter rather than offering aspirational reading focused around the edges of the sport (Grit excepted!)

I'll echo the comments about there being some great photography, and a more european feel - locating UK activity within a global arena, which I think is a positive move.

Off for a more in-depth investigation over a cup of tea now.
 CJD 28 Aug 2006
In reply to CJD:

Oh, and the other thing that I wanted to note was that the writing seems to be of a particularly high calibre, but then I guess that's to be expected if you've got a four person editorial team working on it.
 John Cooke 29 Aug 2006

Bought a copy the other week and have to say it's utterly fantastic! Brilliant articles which are very well written (Good job Grimer!) and lots of inspiring photos and details from both the British climbing scene and the Euro climbing scene. It was refreshing to finally see an example of a magazine moving with the times and covering the large variety in our sport both in this country and in Europe, as well as highlighting some of the key figures operating at the limits of what is capable at present. The articles revolving around British Trad and Headpointing and also the interviews with Pedro Pons (legend!) and Lama and the account by Harry Berger on his send of the Big Trilogy were mind blowing! It's been years since i've been inspired by a magazine, and often found myself saying "they don't make them like the used" Well they do now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...