UKC

kinder downfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nickc 05 Jul 2002
Has anyone got any info on kinder downfall, or even climbed it? How often and when does it form? Going to be moving to the glossop area soon, just intrigued to know that there is a possible ice route on my doorstep!
rich 05 Jul 2002
In reply to nickc: it was in the year before last and i saw people doing it that got there early enough in the day - i even had a little go myself 'round the corner'

i did get the impression it had been the first time for a long long time though
 Rubbishy 05 Jul 2002
In reply to nickc:

I seem to remember it has been climbed, the same winter as Caudron Spout - so I guess it was 1988 or thereabouts.

No, I could tell you bout my secret fall in Yorkshire, but since we will have to wait for the next ice age there seems no point !O)
 Offwidth 05 Jul 2002
In reply to John Rushby:

Its climbable at least every other year (including sevaral time this winter and loads of times the previous winter) but usually in poor nick (bypassing the main line on the right and then on the left). The best time to do it is at the crack of dawn. The small falls on the left are more reliable (see my pic in my profile)
 sutty 05 Jul 2002
In reply to nickc:
You could have a look up Torside Clough, that collects a lot of snow and has some easy routes on it.
OP Bobb 05 Jul 2002
In reply to John Rushby:
Are you talking about Cauldron Spout / Snout on the River Tees?
nickc 05 Jul 2002
In reply to sutty:
sounds interesting, where's torside clough?
 sutty 05 Jul 2002
In reply to nickc:
North side of Bleaklow, first deep valley from Glossop.
Some rock routes and a few snow and Ice climbs in winter. Normally only visited by those in the know. There is some avalanche danger, be careful when you go.
radar 05 Jul 2002
In reply to nickc:
I'd go a bit further than Offwidth and stick my neck out and say 2 out of 3 years. I've climbed most of the variations... the best left hand route is a bit rarer to form completely - last IIRC was about 5 years ago. Normally as already stated you can get good sport at about gradeI/II starting right then traverse left to finish. A good winter should also produce a rarely climbed line left of the downfall in the ampitheatre.

There are also a few other good areas for those in the know - Torside Clough being one. (Bleaklow tends to have more areas & generally better conditions). As with all English ice an early start is to be recommended!
nickc 08 Jul 2002
In reply to all:
thanks for the info guys.
can't wait for the winter!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...