UKC

Chalk bags and crabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 30 Aug 2006
Is it me or do other climbers wince when ever they see somebody climbing or bouldering with a chalk bag attached to them via a crab?
 Simon 30 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

with you there - its a throw back from those early days when you clipped the bag to the harness....

- mind you - there has been tims when I've lost mi bit o tat to tie it onto - and a handy krab has been availible - best leave it on the floor ey??!

;0)
 Sean_J 30 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming: If you're going to land on your back from height, a crab-shaped bruise is the least of your worries.
OP The Lemming 30 Aug 2006
In reply to Sean_J:
> (In reply to The Lemming) If you're going to land on your back from height, a crab-shaped bruise is the least of your worries.

Yep, it could even smash your coxics or far worse.
 C2BK 30 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming: Given the bulky nature of gear such as friends, which you could also fall onto, contents of backpack, yet alone the uneven rock you're likely to fall onto, I'd have thought it would be the last of your problems.

So, a genuine question, why does this in particular make you wince?
OP The Lemming 30 Aug 2006
In reply to C2BK:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Given the bulky nature of gear such as friends, which you could also fall onto, contents of backpack, yet alone the uneven rock you're likely to fall onto, I'd have thought it would be the last of your problems.
>
> So, a genuine question, why does this in particular make you wince?

Sorry, I should have said while people are climbing or bouldering indoors. Outside I, like many others, try not to fall off anything if I can help it. However indoors people push their limits while bouldering and this is especially so from sitting starts. This all means that there is a far higher chance of landing on your bum or flat on your back in a theoretically safe area.
 richprideaux 30 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
But if you're referring to indoor climbing, wouldn't it only be relevant to bouldering? If i fall flat when top roping i'm gonna be more concerned about having words with my belay....
 Sean_J 30 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming: Should've said so at the start then; I don't wear a chalk bag when bouldering indoors for this very reason.
 robw007 30 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
yes the wincing is a cert - poor style marks!
 C2BK 30 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to C2BK)
> [...]> Sorry, I should have said while people are climbing or bouldering indoors.

Yes, it makes a lot more sense in the context of bouldering indoors, thanks for clarifying.

Haylo
 nikinko 31 Aug 2006
In reply to C2BK:

> Yes, it makes a lot more sense in the context of bouldering indoors, thanks for clarifying.

Surely one of the reasons why metal gear is banned in the bouldering room certainly at bristol - don't know about others? Also to do with landing on the heads of those who are standing watching from the wrong place!

Personally I've never been able to stay on any of the bouldering routes long enough to need the chalk- I tend to leave the bag at the bottom and use it each time I fall off!
Bogsy 31 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Sean_J)
> [...]
>
>
> Yep, it could even smash your coxics or far worse.

Definitely make ya fart!
Yorkspud 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Sean_J:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Should've said so at the start then; I don't wear a chalk bag when bouldering indoors for this very reason.

String?
 SecretSquirrel 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Yorkspud:
My chalkbag has one of those small "oddities" krabs for attaching it to my harness and a bootlace for tying it round my waist if i boulder although that came about more because i broke the loop on my trousers i was hooking the krab on to.
Have fallen numerous times bouldering but never noticed the tiny krab bruising or digging in at all.
 gingerdave13 31 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming: oh, ah just a little bit.

more so when seeing people with rings on,, the mere thought of a bit of finger jamming going wrong makes me cringe,,
 Adders 31 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming: i'm too clumsy to boulder with my chalk bag ( use loose chalk ) would look like a snow storm if i dyno'ed. always leave my bag on the floor.

Ricky 31 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

My chalk bag has always been attached by a (small) crab, never caused an issue.
What is does have is a rather fetching little loop through which I have placed my indispensible toothbrush !!
 Jenny C 31 Aug 2006
I would always recommend using acessory cord for securing the chalkbag. It's cheaper than a krab, lightweight and holds the bag in the small of your back where it is easily accessible with either hand. Also when bouldering if you want to take your chalk bag up with you, no problem.

Clipping your chalkbag to a gear loop with a karabiner usually means the chalkbag hangs too low so it is not easily acessible when actually climbing. I have seen many climbers bending off balance, or forced to rest on the rope because they can't reach their chalkbag.
 deepsoup 31 Aug 2006
In reply to gingerdave13: Thats a common injury among lorry drivers - they tend to catch their wedding ring on bits of door trim as they jump down out of the cab. V nasty.
 nz Cragrat 31 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

It's so WRONG.

I agree with Jenny except use a bit of bungy with a toggle (per a sleeping bag ) on it. Just put it on over your head.
Billy-the-goat 31 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming: maybe a related disease to the 'winter tops off boulder n beanie brigade'.
 madd matt 31 Aug 2006
No use a krab wit a clock built in not only do ya look cool ya can tell the time n all bonza
 nikinko 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Ricky:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
through which I have placed my indispensible toothbrush !!

Great minds must think alike... although I've found the toothbrush only helps indoors.
 Pauline 01 Sep 2006
In reply to madd matt:
use a krab wit a clock built in not only do ya look cool ya can tell the time n all

have you seen my husband about per chance? He has a plastic crab with a clock on it... he bought it for me... so tasteless yeuck i refused to use it. He thought it would be good for school... it is strippy like a tiger. < shudders>
 Little Brew 01 Sep 2006
In reply to The Lemming: I use a webbing strap with a buckle, strap is adjustale in lengh for winter bulky clothes to thin summer t-shirts. bonus of this is i can tie my harness n, put on a jumper, jacket and still have my chalkbag on top, rather than undoing my harness to tuck in clothing!

boyfriend uses a length of covered elastic, easy on/off and mylti szed, but too baggy on me, and hangs ff my hips too low. his argument for this is hen going for chalc, it hangs n the lowest side of his body, and normaly on the side he wants to chalk on, mine against this is it tends to stretch away from me.

against using crabs im afraid as i dont have a loop in the middle of my harness at the back so it would be of sided and annoy me!

that and i boulder without my harnes and not all my trousers have belt loops!

Jess.x
 thin bob 01 Sep 2006
In reply to The Lemming: larks-footed with a prussik-length of cord, with a double-fishermans knot...which you can slide apart to fit yer waist. Ha!-and then ruining it all by having an accessory krab in the pocket in case i ever have to actually use it as a prussik.....

i hate seeing bikers [pedal&motor]with chains over thier shoulders...yeah i used to do it, until i saw the bruises and busted ribs caused by landing on one [7 got paranoid about being strangled by it during an off] [fck! i'm a paranoid mess ain't I? ]
 Morgan Woods 01 Sep 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

i would wince coz it makes you look like a punter! not for any injury potential as mooted by other posters.

a proper fastex clip style belt is best coz you can swivel it around (handy for doing back up at the end of a route) and it doesn't hang too low....i blame the stingy gear manufacturers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...