UKC

Canon DSLR of choice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peteclark 24 Sep 2006
I want a canon DSLR and just dont know what to go for. I cant afford the 1D or DS but could save up for a 5D. What would you go for? I was impressed by my friends 5D but this would be my first SLR so a 5D might be abit of an overkill. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
 Graham T 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:
Why just canon? If it it your first SLR you don't have any lenses yet so don't be so specific, there are other manufacturers around Nikon and others.
ICE 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark: buy a 400d and spend the rest on glass, or if you want a more rugged camera go for the 30d (or whatever replaces it, should be soon one would hope looking at the spec of the 400d) and spend the change on glass.
In reply to peteclark:

I have used the 10d, 20d, 30d and 1d mark2. I only own a 10d but this has seen me through nearly 10 wedding shoots (paid and for friends) and taken some great shots.

If it's your first camera and you definately want Canon, get a second hand 20d and spend the rest on some good lenses. The kit ones are rubbish and all of the above cameras will show up the kit lenses.

Secondly, spend the time saved by getting the camera now and go play! Be critical and let others be too!

Enjoy.
In reply to S i'm on & on:

Forgot about the 400D. That's good too, less spec and metal than the 20d but lighter and cheaper.
Ian Hill 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark: if you don't know which camera to buy or why, you're probably best off buying something cheap to learn with for now...
 DanielJ 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

If you somehow must have Canon and it´s your first SLR look for a used 20D or a new 400D. Use it a year and then upgrade to a suitable model. Canon will then have released a couple of upgrades, one or two new models and you will have the skills to make the best of them.

At the moment, if you´re not heavily invested in any system, Pentax is scorching hot. The upcoming K10D looks like it will be a gigantic sucess. Pentax also has a lot of new lenses on the way.

.d
 pottsworth 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:
for the money I would go for the new nikon d80 which has only just been launched.
I personally dont realy like canons, the only part I have ever had stop working on a camera was the autofocus on an old f60. Incidentaly the only part that nikon ship in for their f60 is the autofocus, its built by canon
mali 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark: get a used 20d it will do everything you ask of it and save loads of money over a 30d which is to close to call a totally new camera,they are bombprrof and i use mine for everything,and its neer let me down,,if you really want a new model get a 400d,,,,good chioce in brand aswell ,canon hae the largest pool of lenses and accsessories to choose from than any other
Ian Hill 24 Sep 2006
In reply to mali:
> good chioce in brand aswell ,canon hae the largest pool of lenses and accsessories to choose from than any other

except good wide angles for DSLRs...
OP peteclark 24 Sep 2006
Thanks for the advice. I would buy a second hand SLR except that half of the money was left to me by my gran so really I would like something new that I could keep for a long time and wouldnt need replacing in a year. I had a canon compact ages ago and was pleased with that and I was impressed by the 5d so ideally I do want a Canon.

Cheers

Pete
 kevin stephens 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

If you can; it is worth waiting

Lots of new DSLRs about to be launched around October so current favourites may soon be out of date, but also on offer for sale prices.

Of course the Canon 5d is impressive, it bloody well should be at £2,000 for the body alone. Don't expect canon's cheaper bodys to be the same.

This is an important decision as it will be expensive to change brands once you have some extra lenses. I would recommend some time in a friendly camera shop comparing Canon, Pentax and Nikon cameras - ideally mid week when the staff will have more time. How they feel is as important as features. Obviously weight and toughness can also be important for use in the mountains.

Everyone will champion their own choice, and for what it's worth Pentax is my recommendation. They are making a come back with major investment (new lens factory) with new cameras across the amateur to pro range and loads of new prime and zoom lenses. Latest bodies have antishake built into the camera, not the lenses as with Canon and Nikon - so is less costly.

The new K10D will be out soon and it looks like it will be the dog's bollocks

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/

If you wait can wait until Oct Nov there will be plenty of independent reviews on the K10D and also latest Canons, Nikon etc.

toiletduck 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark: Sounds like you've made you're mind up to go with a Canon which certainly makes sense if you're looking to get the best out of a DSLR - saves on the disappointment you'd get from some of the lesser quality bodies like Sony and Olympus.
If you really facy the 5D then go for it as it does produce some spectacular shots - but you could of course get a lot of L glass for the price difference of a 30D or similar
OP peteclark 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

I think I will hold on for a while, see what happens after christmas and if any new slrs are anounced.
Does anyone know when the 30D is due to be replaced. I guess not for a while.

Cheers

Pete
 Dr Avid 24 Sep 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: Dont they do a rather good 10-22?
 london_huddy 24 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

If you want a Canon buy a 30D and spend the rest on a 24-70L and 70-200L.

Unless you're wanting full frame, save the cost of the 5D and buy more and better glass.
OP peteclark 25 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

I was planning on getting a 30D but the 8.2 mp resolution put me off abit considering some compact cameras now have 10.1 mp sensors.

Pete
OP peteclark 25 Sep 2006
In reply to hindu:

Another thing, would you go for the 24-70 f2.8L instead of the 24-105 that I was hoping to get?

Cheers

Pete
 kevin stephens 25 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

The Canon 17-40 f4L or 17-55 f2.8 (digi obly)would give approximately same field of view on a DSLR as the 24-70 would on full frame
 london_huddy 25 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:
The 24-105L has great reviews, but you'll want some length sooner or later...the classic conbination is the 24-70 and 70-200. The new 70-200 with IS looks really nice.

I'm a mere punter trying to get into decent photography on a budget! There are much better people than I go give advice on the fine print of lens selection!

I'm currently borrowing the 24-70L and loving it.

Once i've mobilsed the cash i'll be buying the 24-70L and the sigma 50-500. The 24-105 i think it just too much £.
Normclimber 25 Sep 2006
In reply to ICE: You could also get a cheap 350D and spend the extra on nice lenses. The 400 gives you a couple of extra mega pixells and a ccd cleaner built in, but other than that the 350D is still v good as a first DSLR especially as there will be some very good bargains about due to the introduction of the 400. Just get the body and buy a good zoom lens as the kit lens is a bit rubbish (just check out the number of kit lenses on ebay (nobody wants them). I have had my 350D for about 8 months and have had some very good crag shots already.
 DanielJ 25 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

You might think about reading yourself into the subject. Mp:s are far from everything. The compact cameras with 10mp has ridicoulusly (sp?) small sensors. Besides that why do you need 10 mp, for one yard-sized posters?
Try to find out what kind of features you need and then buy the equivivalent camera.

For cameras www.dpreview.com www.fredmiranda.com
lenses www.photodo.com and www.photozone.de

If you´re going for Canon 30d and the likes, the combination 10-22 and the 24-105 f4L is logic but pretty steep. This will take you a long way. Further on you can complement with a 50 or 85 prime for portraits and one long tele.
Another version is the 10-22, one prime 50 or 85, and one of the 70-200 for tele. Personally I would go for this setup.

This period of the year is one of the biggest for camera manufacturers. It´s Photokina in Germany and we haven´t seen all the new releases yet. So, keep your eyes on the photoforums this week.

.d
Dai Bach 26 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark: I'm considering selling my 20d, it comes complete with the battery grip & extra battery (with kit lens 18-55mm). Let me know if your interested, only seen light use only.
 Darren Cook 26 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

MP's meen nothing in a SLR there is no noticible difference between 6, 8 or 10 Mp's untill you zoom into parts of the image and print them beyond A4.
If you haven't tried any camera's yet go and try them out I have a cannon digital slr as I was already into cannon bodies. But for feel, processing method, quality of image and value for money I personaly would of gone nikon everytime.
So try before you buy
Darren
Al Downie 26 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:
> would you go for the 24-70 f2.8L

I think it's FAR too big & heavy for use as a standard lens; same with the 70-200L. They're fine if you're a professional with a specific job to do, but there's no way you'll want to carry them on a climbing trip 'just in case' you feel like taking some photos.

The Sigma 24-60 f2.8 EX (which I sold to a UKC user recently) is a fraction of the size & weight, and just as sharp. Don't be too hung-up about that red line...

Of course the 300mm f4 (also for sale just now as it happens) is an ideal standard lens for all situations.
 london_huddy 26 Sep 2006
In reply to Al Downie:

The only redeeming feature of the kit lens is that is occasionally take blisteringly sharp shots (http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=1004949513) but is light as hell.

To the OP:
the 50mm 1.8 II is probably the lightest lens around from anyone (i stand to be corrected by those in the know) and is universally adored. It's a bargain at ~£70 - no reason at all not to buy one.
OP peteclark 26 Sep 2006
In reply to Dai Bach:

I think I will wait and see what happens after Christmas. How much would you want for your 20D?

Pete
Dai Bach 26 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark: £400 for the body/lens/grip/extra battery, all boxed
O Mighty Tim 26 Sep 2006
In reply to Dai Bach: Fair price? email me if it's still up for grabs in a month or so?

TTG
O Mighty Tim 26 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark: Pete, if it's THAT kind of buy, then think VERY carefully, keep the cash safe, try several different cameras from your options list, see what suits what YOU want to do.

The 5D IS very capable, no doubt at all.

Just be prepared for 'issues' around wide angles. I have heard horror stories around Canon large sensors, and their wides (Cue Chris JD flame fest!)where buyers have returned 3 or more examples, before getting one they were happy with...

Whatever you buy, it will be more precious than usual, so choose wisely, and then relax and enjoy using it.

TTG
ICE 26 Sep 2006
In reply to O Mighty Tim: I, as a canon user would also recommend that when starting from scratch to look at all brands, as you might be surprised that what you thought you wanted wasn't actually what you need, and interestingly enough, that supposed hot ticket dslr from sony that everyone thought was going to be the dogs dagglies got what I thought was a very luke warm review in last months PP. So have a good play pete before parting with your hard earned.
DGB 27 Sep 2006
In reply to O Mighty Tim: I was looking at buying a Canon 5d, I've read your comments about issue's with wide angles. Is this a problem with the lens or it a problem with the 5d body. I was thinking of getting a 5d lens kit 24-105L. Just wanted to know if the lens is at fault or the body.
O Mighty Tim 28 Sep 2006
In reply to DGB: It's not exactly a fault, more an 'issue' to be aware of.
As I said in the email to you? Check the Canon 1D/5D forum on dpreview for more info, and specifics.

For those who may think it, no, I'm not knocking the big sensor Canons, I'm just pointing something out that folk may wish to know about before spending thousands of pounds on kit.

Now I see Leica, with the M8, have offset the microlenses on the sensor, to cure the wide angle issues. So it CAN be done...

TTG
O Mighty Tim 28 Sep 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Me too, but not with THAT...
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Sigma/IMG_0271.jpg
The big one in the middle...

8^)

TTG
Ian Hill 28 Sep 2006
In reply to O Mighty Tim: you don't fancy the monster 300-800 then?
 LAW 28 Sep 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Is that the current EF-S 17-85 or a new one? Noticed the "macro" label and it looks much bigger than I'd imagine the current f/4-5.6 to be, though I haven't seen one myself.
Anonymous 29 Sep 2006
In reply to peteclark:

I would respectfully suggest that you learn to take pictures on something basic before plumping for the 5D.

Don't be a pontificator.
The Pontificator 29 Sep 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

Ha. I am the pontificator.
ICE 29 Sep 2006
In reply to The Pontificator: No, I am the pontificator.
 Jon Read 29 Sep 2006
In reply to LAW: Looks like the standard 17-85 (not that there's any other version).
 LAW 29 Sep 2006
Thanks Jon & Stu, I figured it was that lens, it just looks bigger in the photo posted by pete than I would have expected it to be.
AndrewW 07 Oct 2006
In reply to Dai Bach:
Hi, if your camera is still for sale, I'm interested. I've sent you an email. Andrew
james thompson 25 Oct 2006
In reply to Dai Bach:
> (In reply to peteclark) £400 for the body/lens/grip/extra battery, all boxed

Is this camera still for sale as i'm in the market to buy one at the mo.
james
j.thompson70@ntlworld.com
 King Rat 25 Oct 2006
In reply to peteclark:

I’m just wondering why you would want a 5D for your first SLR. Its no doubt a great camera but aimed at the top end amateur/pro and the price reflects this. Had a quick look at Jessops and they sell the D5 body only for £1,949. To get the best out of it you’re also going to have to invest in a good quality lens a lot of money to spend on your first SLR. A D30 will be half this price and is a very good camera(the D20 is just as good and will be even less).
 The Bantam 25 Oct 2006
In reply to King Rat:

Agree fully. Also, small point but - there is no built in flash with the 5D which is quite restrictive with your first DSLR as a) you are unlikely to own the lenses to deal with indoor shots early on, and b) you are more than likely to use it for 'family' shots too.
 ChrisJD 25 Oct 2006
In reply to DGB:

The Canon high resolution Full Frame sensors are unforgiving with crap lenses and really push even good wide angle lenses at the edges (to that matter, they push ALL lenses at the edges!).

I use the 24-105mm on Canon FF and it is excellent (slight vignetting sometime, but easli corrected duering RAW conversion. The Canon 16-35mmL is OK, but could be better at the edges.

Don't fret, the 5D is a great great camera, but needs to be used with the best glass.
 ChrisJD 25 Oct 2006
> (In reply to DGB)

If anyone is interested in an 8MB download, this is what can be achieved with a Canon FF, a 24-105 (at 24mm) and a Pano Head:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7CA2E384301C...

Taken from Glacier Point, Yosemite. Six shoots (vertical orientation) joined together in fully auto mode in PanoramaFatctory V4.4, prepped in Adobe Lightroom, no additional photoshop. It's 11,679 by 4587 pixels, equivalent of a 53 MP camera! This is a quick & dirty Pano, would start again from scratch to print, as could do better.

View at 100% to see the detail.
toiletduck 25 Oct 2006
In reply to ChrisJD:
> Taken from Glacier Point, Yosemite. Six shoots (vertical orientation) joined together in fully auto mode in PanoramaFatctory V4.4, prepped in Adobe Lightroom, no additional photoshop. It's 11,679 by 4587 pixels, equivalent of a 53 MP camera! This is a quick & dirty Pano, would start again from scratch to print, as could do better.

I have to say that's one of the most awesome pictures i've ever seen on this site.
Now do a size frame Yosemite pano in HDR for us

toiletduck 25 Oct 2006
In reply to toiletduck: That should say Six, not size
 Fatt Matt 25 Oct 2006
In reply to toiletduck: Agreed - Chris that's a really great shot, inspiring me to do something with the vast amounts of hols I have left to take before Feb!
 ChrisJD 26 Oct 2006
In reply to toiletduck:

Cheers guys.

First time I used my pano head and really please with the results, but then you have to try really hard to take crap photos in Yosemite....

Hope to get some Yosemite photos into my gallery some time soon, but the 120kb limit might not suit these Panos
neorrealismo 03 Nov 2006
In reply to ChrisJD: I put just over 40000 frames through the 10D. It is a great workhorse and very reliable but is slow and nearly always requires a little bit of touch-up in photoshop. The 20D is faster, creates a bigger file, better colour rendition and very popular. The 5D is fantastic and the luxury of the full frame reminds me fondly of my 1N. It makes working in photoshop a pleasure. If you are starting out and don't need the quality as yet that pro's need then do as the other posters have suggested and spend more money on the lenses, you won't regret it. Remember that in photography the most important thing is your eye then the lens then the camera. Wide angle lenses to some extent will distort but it depends on how wide open you shoot and what/how you are shooting. The canon sensor, especially on the 5D, is perfect although the lenses tend to be a bit soft but in general they are very good lenses. Avoid the cheap plastic lenses though.
OP peteclark 07 Nov 2006
Thanks for all your advice. Ive just bought a 30D and a EF 24 - 105 f/4 IS USM. Lens hasnt come yet but ive got the body which is a nightmare as I cant take any photos. I took your advice and splashed out on a better lens.

Cheers
Pete
 nz Cragrat 07 Nov 2006
In reply to peteclark:

I am jealous but would probably gone wider as that is the equivalent of a 38mm one isn't it?

Nice lens though....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...