UKC

Andy Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 My Gravity 30 Sep 2006
Saw Andy Kirkpatrick's "Beyond Extreme" lecture yesterday evening and he was as entertaining as always.

When I saw him last year doing a talk called "When Hell Freezes Over" at the Royal Geographical Society he talked about climbing Mt Fitzroy in Patagonia. The successful ascent of Fitzroy was also a big part of "Beyond Extreme".

Does he always talk about Fitzroy, or are there other big routes he's done?

Can anyone recommend other speakers they've seen?

david the bear 30 Sep 2006
In reply to My Gravity: nothing to do with climbing, but once saw the guy who lives on the farm at the site of Rorkes Drift. Held an entire audience spellbond with the story of the battle, and the location. Also very pro the Zulu tribe, and how they exist today.
 mlt 30 Sep 2006
In reply to My Gravity:

www.psychovertical.com

and

www.heason.net

should answer the majority of your questions.
 Enty 30 Sep 2006
In reply to My Gravity:

I once saw Paul Pritchard split an audience in two.
One half (me included) were rolling on the floor laughing for an hour.
The other half were thinking "what the heck is this all about?" He went right over their heads.
Awesome!

The Ent
OP My Gravity 01 Oct 2006
In reply to mlt:
> www.psychovertical.com
Ah cheers. Found good info on his profile.

> www.heason.net
Are you saying that you would recommend most of the speakers who are listed on this site? When was Twid Turner interviewed on Terry Wogan??

Andrew
OP My Gravity 01 Oct 2006
In reply to Enty:

Will keep a look out for him.

Thanks

Andrew
james wake 5 03 Oct 2006
In reply to My Gravity:

Seen Mr K five years running an he's never told the same story twice! He's talking again at the RGS this winter - about Yosemite I think (he's climb El Cap 10 times I think). All money goes to Porters Progress.

James
 madmo2991 03 Oct 2006
In reply to My Gravity: saw him at the fort bill film festival in feb and he talked about the frendo spur, he did say last night that he's probably going to do more talks about solo routes he's done.
 jonfun21 03 Oct 2006
In reply to My Gravity: Going to see Pen Hadow on Thursday so will report back. Always enjoyed Bonnington and Hinkes (especially for his humour). Tony Hawkes (as in the travel writer not the skater (though many had made that mistake!!)) was also very good.
andy kirkpatrick 03 Oct 2006
In reply to jonfun21:

I'd hate to think that someone had to sit through the same talk twice (just think how many times I've heard it!), and I guess you were unlucky as I did a different talk at all the London venues to the ones I did last time. Sorry. The tour of the picture house cinemas is an experiment in trying to talk to a wider audence - and more importantly NON climbers. And you'd be suprised how many people come up and say "I had no idea people did this kind of thing" or that people like Bond and Gryless were the UK's top climbers (instead of the UK's top climbing tourists!). So that can only be a good thing for climbing.

Nearly all the shows have been really packed, and I'm having to go from amuture slide show man, to one man show pro very quickly, but when we do it again next year I'll make sure it's plain what the talks about so you won't have to site through it again (by the way was it still worth coming too?).

Cheers

Andy
Wingman@work 03 Oct 2006
In reply to andy kirkpatrick:

Andy,

I was at Brixton on Friday. I thought the talk was very very good. Now I know a little more about the type of content I'll be able to drag my none climbing mates along and I'll know they'll enjoy it!
 practicalcat 03 Oct 2006
In reply to My Gravity:
I had planned to go to the Brixton talk but wasn't very well that evening Very disappointed to have missed him, especially as it isn't often that a climbing talk is held just a 5 minute walk away from my house!
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: how come you haven't ocme to the lakes? i'd really like to see one of your talks. and come and pester you at the end!
 lithos 03 Oct 2006
In reply to andy kirkpatrick:
> (In reply to jonfun21)
>
> I'd hate to think that someone had to sit through the same talk twice (just think how many times I've heard it!),

I delieberately did that cos i enjoyed it so much.

hoping to be able to escape from family committments/party on sat to see the York show !
 callum 03 Oct 2006
In reply to My Gravity: We're all waiting patiently on Andy coming up to Inverness on the 12th. Looking forward to it!
Jay218 03 Oct 2006
In reply to My Gravity:

Can recommend Twid Turner. Amazing photo's.
Removed User 03 Oct 2006
In reply to Jay218:
> (In reply to My Gravity)
>
> Can recommend Twid Turner. Amazing photo's.

Not on this thread you can't!
Anonymous 03 Oct 2006
In reply to My Gravity:

I dunno if Ron still gives slideshows and talks, but over the years I've seen him a few times.

Always totally amazing, of course, not least because he is such a great and genuinely modest bloke.

At one lecture at Leeds, he finished off with a fantastic set of shots of a "World Bouldering Competition", in California (or somewhere...), thanked everbody for coming, and was going off..

We all started chanting ; "Who won?, Ron, Who Won? !!!..."

He came back to the mike, bright red, and said: "Oh, I did."

Classic.
 Laubie 03 Oct 2006
In reply to Anonymous: Went to the BATH show. First I was not sure, Andy spoke very quickly and looked a bit like a duck out of water. BUT soon the pattern was clear and the format looked and felt very natural and things just starting gettinf better.

The split between the mountain experience in patagonia and his times on a film set was well timed and worked well.

He was able to discribe events and the people in them very well. He made a couple of very wise statements and I think the audience realised he is not a carzy odd climber but a person who has strong will power, "salt of the earth character" and has a good ability to tell a story.

Well worth it, hard to discribe the format. Well worth it, recommend it to anyone!
jonna 03 Oct 2006
In reply to My Gravity: saw john dunne once and he was really witty and intersting would defo go agian if he was up this way.

jonna

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...