UKC

Outdoor Recreation Research - Part 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nick Lewis 13 Oct 2006
Hi. I am from the University of Gloucestershire and we are conducting some research in relation to outdoor recreation on behalf of Countryside Council for Wales. We would like to invite responses to the following questions. This is the second posting associated with our work.

·For you personally, what specific elements of a climbing trip make it an enjoyable experience?

·In your opinion, are there any factors that restrict climbers from having a good climbing trip/experience?

·In your opinion, what factors do you think are influencing the development and growth of Climbing in Britain.

·If you undertake other outdoor activities, what are they, and how does the overall "experience" compare with climbing?

Please be assured that all responses will be treated anonymously. The unit that I work in can be found at the following link:
http://www.glos.ac.uk/faculties/ccru/index.cfm
The University research guidelines and principles can be found at:
http://www.glos.ac.uk/currentstudents/research/ethics/appendix6.cfm

Thanks in advance for your responses!
 toad 13 Oct 2006
>
> ·For you personally, what specific elements of a climbing trip make it an enjoyable experience?
>
Good Weather!,Good company, outstanding locations, a new route/activity/experience. Welcoming hospitality, be it pub, gear shop, caff or wherever
climbing well

> ·In your opinion, are there any factors that restrict climbers from having a good climbing trip/experience?
> Bad weather
, difficult access (due to people - fencing, restricted or expensive parking, poor public transport, unneccesary access restrictions by public sector bodies - I'm thinking NT, CCW etc not farmers in this instance)
poor service sector - either unfriendly or unpleasant staff, obvious tourist premium prices
Poor personal performance

> ·In your opinion, what factors do you think are influencing the development and growth of Climbing in Britain.
Increased affluence of parts of society and increased leisure time
easier access - increased car ownership
more modern image of the activity in the media
increased environmental awareness - not that climbing benefits the environment, but people want to undertake an activity closer to the outdoors

>
> ·If you undertake other outdoor activities, what are they, and how does the overall "experience" compare with climbing?
Mountainbike
walking/scrambling
both of these put me into remote environments, which is my principal reason for climbing. Scrambling has a similar buzz to climbing, walking is more reflective
I also have a dog and a narrowboat, which aren't exactly extreeem sports, but put me outdoors in the countryside a lot
>
Hjonesy 13 Oct 2006
In reply to Nick Lewis:

For you personally, what specific elements of a climbing trip make it an enjoyable experience?

Being with great friends, facing some hard/tricky moves, having a good laugh (mainly at me failing on tricky moves), the weather being good (ideally)

·In your opinion, are there any factors that restrict climbers from having a good climbing trip/experience?

Having to wait for ages for people to move off the routes you want to play on. The weather being cr*p. It taking too long to get anywhere decent to climb (if you live in London)

·In your opinion, what factors do you think are influencing the development and growth of Climbing in Britain.

I got into climbing on a trip abroad, but think that there is a general growth in people interested into outdoor pursuits these days as people desperately try to find interests outside of the gym. I think the gym has had it's day (other than in winter) and more people are trying to get outdoors.

·If you undertake other outdoor activities, what are they, and how does the overall "experience" compare with climbing?

I'll try anything I can (to an extent). Have recently had a taste of caving and am going to join up with a caving club asap. I enjoy running too and also recently enjoyed mountain biking so am trying to get into that a bit more also. I think I liked caving because there is a large amount of climbing skills and techniques included in it. I still prefer climbing overall but generally enjoy anything that presents me with some form of a challenge!

Hope that helps.
 tlm 13 Oct 2006
In reply to Nick Lewis:
> ·For you personally, what specific elements of a climbing trip make it an enjoyable experience?

The company, great mates, the areas that you get to visit. beautiful scenery, the feel of the rock, the smells of the earth, the mental and physical challenge, being outdoors with the wind in my hair, seeing seals or other animals, the sense of adventure, going somewhere remote, away from other people, the sense of personal responsibility and of being capable of looking after my own safety.

> ·In your opinion, are there any factors that restrict climbers from having a good climbing trip/experience?

bad traffic on the way there, crowded and noisy crags (easy to avoid, mind you!).

> ·In your opinion, what factors do you think are influencing the development and growth of Climbing in Britain.

The development of climbing walls has led to an increase of people with no experience of the mountains getting into climbing. Also, this means that for many people, their first experience is a bolted experience - I've heard comments such as 'I haven't moved on to trad yet'. People are more distant from knowing about the history and culture of climbing. The people climbing are more diverse, more women. There is a wider range of types of climber - people who only climb indoors, who only boulder, who only climb on bolts.

It has led to a greater demand for outdoor bolted easier routes - Portland has become very popular and bolted routes are no longer sports routes where you would have to practice the moves, but simply routes protected by bolts. some climbers don't appreciate the implictions of bolting as they have little experience of trad, which can lead to an ill informed arguement for bolts, rather than one which takes in all the relevant information.

Cheaper flights mean that people can climb abroad as a common and ordinary thing. British guides for foreign destinations abound. People get to experience sun and bolts and would like more of the same at home.

Because people get into climbing as individuals, the role of clubs has changed. People no longer have to join a club to meet other climbers, but can meet them through the internet or climbing walls. Many local clubs seem to have slumped in terms of the amount of climbing getting done (not all of them!) and seem to serve more of a social role than a 'meeting other climbers' role, or serve to provide huts.

There are a LOT more climbers, and this means erosion, polish, noise, crowds, but also a bigger community, better climbing walls for practice.

> ·If you undertake other outdoor activities, what are they, and how does the overall "experience" compare with climbing?

Walking, gardening, mountain biking, running, camping. I just like being out of doors. But climbing has the mental challenge - that 'solving a puzzle' aspect which gives it an extra edge. It also takes you to some unusual places which you would never go to otherwise - sat on a ledge on a sea cliff in the fog, rummaging through an overgrown wood in search of a crag, deserts in Jordan, Finedon Slabs! ha ha!
Nick Lewis 16 Oct 2006
thanks to all who have contributed so far, some interesting comments which we will take note of.

Thanks, and if any others wish to respond, please do so!!
 Monk 16 Oct 2006
In reply to Nick Lewis:
>
>
>
so many different things can make a good trip. Good weather is a major factor. An adventure is another - something with an unknown outcome. This doesn't have to be hard either. The other day I did some exploratory solo scrambling on the west face of Tryfan I had no idea if I could find a route up or if I would have to downclimb everything. That was exciting but not too hard. Other days, getting up some very hard boulder problems can be amazing. Then again you can have great days out with friends where nothing is remotely hard or scary but just good banter and a shared experience. Basically I am trying to say that for me there is no set formula for a good trip. Things that can make things turn bad are confrontation - maybe with an irate landowner who doesn't want you on his land, or someone stroppy in the car park who parks arrogantly.
>

Indoor walls and activity centres seem to be having a definite effect on 'growth' in climbing. I am not always convinced this is a good thing though. The same things seem to be arresting the development of climbing by introducing an attitude that everything should be sanitised.

>
I also walk in the mountains alot (usually in bad weather). These days are more about being away from it all for me.

> Please be assured that all responses will be treated anonymously. The unit that I work in can be found at the following link:
> http://www.glos.ac.uk/faculties/ccru/index.cfm
> The University research guidelines and principles can be found at:
> http://www.glos.ac.uk/currentstudents/research/ethics/appendix6.cfm
>
> Thanks in advance for your responses!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...