UKC

Brimham Rocks Freshers Trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petellis 20 Oct 2006
One of Yorkshires Premier University Moutaineering Clubs is having its freshers trip to Brimham Rocks this sunday (the 22 october)

Other climbers are advised to STAY AWAY FROM THE CRAG on this date. ALL routes of VS and below will have topropes on them all day apart from pig traverse. No effort will be made to minimise the impact of our group on other crag users as its not feasable with a group of the size we're taking.

Sorry guys but we all have do all have to make sacrifices in the name of promoting the sport.
 Fiend 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

Are you getting your own stand up show?
 the sheep 20 Oct 2006
In reply to Fiend:
Its a bit slow this friday isnt it.
OP petellis 20 Oct 2006
In reply to Fiend:

no
 joe_alexander 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:
All routes below VS? dont you think 91 routes (acording to the UKC database) is a little OTT?
 Fiend 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

I can see why.
 ashleylist 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

Well, many thanks for thinking of the other rock users out their! i hope you enjoy the rain!!!!

May one suggest you consider taking smaller groups so that you dont p**S people of.
 ashleylist 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

Oh and another thing.

Remind the Fresher, the dumb little things that they are that this is the country side and it is not a dumping ground for rubbish.

Leeds uni where their last year on a Freshers trip and every where, and i mean every where they where i was picking up their little so WE dont get banned from the crag.

please point this out!

and relax
 Poffers 20 Oct 2006
In reply to ashleylist: Here here!!! A friend of mine used to make a point of soloing next to big silly top roping groups ensuing he took the time to stop on his way up and point out all of the holds they should be using and everything they were donig wrong. Oh how we did laugh!!!!
rlovatt 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

I hope you get a pissed on!
brothersoulshine 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

Will they all be wearing approach shoes?

(I'm astounded you've got a few bites)
 kipper12 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

How selfish and arrogant, any other NO GO areas for us two man teams.
 hutchm 20 Oct 2006
In reply to kipper12:

Yes, Almscliff - another of Yorkshire's premier student mountaineering clubs are going there. All routes on the low man will be taken all day, along with anything worth doing on the rest of the crag.

Two top ropes will in place simultaneously on Great Western, to allow a quick transition between freshers. There will be no opportunity for you to 'just nip up' in between, so don't bother asking.

Try relaxing a bit - it's only busy for the next month or so.
 lummox 20 Oct 2006
In reply to brothersoulshine:
> (In reply to petellis)
>
> Will they all be wearing approach shoes?
>
> (I'm astounded you've got a few bites)

It`s friggin amazing isn`t it ?

Sean_J 20 Oct 2006
In reply to kipper12: Actaully, yes. There's three big uni clubs going to Stanage area this Saturday, adding to the already crowded atmosphere and polish on the popular routes. I take it you won't be popping along to say hello?
 ashleylist 20 Oct 2006
In reply to Sean_J:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

God of rain do your thing
 joe_alexander 20 Oct 2006
In reply to hutchm:
i hope thats a joke, with a bit of organising you could split up groups so you are not overrunning whole crags at a time.
 hutchm 20 Oct 2006
In reply to joe_alexander:

We are - there are just about 70 of us. It will be a nice chilled atmosphere though. Someone is bringing some tunes along and a barbecue.

Hopefully no rain!!!!!!
In reply to petellis:

Excelent, send them my way!
 whiting.jp 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

0 for style, but surprisingly (worryingly) effective..

3/10
OP petellis 20 Oct 2006
In reply to joe_alexander:

dont you think 91 routes (acording to the UKC database) is a little OTT?

not really, some of them will be green so we wont want to climb on them. for those of you that think this is a troll, be warned - we really ARE having a freshers trip there, but it will probably be raining anyway. but don't say i didn't warn you.

In reply to petellis:

> not really, some of them will be green so we wont want to climb on them. for those of you that think this is a troll, be warned - we really ARE having a freshers trip there, but it will probably be raining anyway. but don't say i didn't warn you.

You better be joking you little weesil i told you the other night at the wall that id kick your ass if you try to hang a load of top ropes down next to something im trying to shunt for the headpoint when it gets cold just for a load of first year losers in trainers to drag mud everywhere so they can phone there mummies on there stupid prshiuos mobiles to tell them theyre 'climbing'. fu*kwits!

why not use half the crag or just sod off to a quiet corner somewhere? we didnt need all the crag last year. and quit phonoing and txting me im suposed to be working in the computer room and your pissing me off. no i cant drive on sunday you know i stacked my car stop trying to wind me up.

can i scrounge a lift on the bus if john doesnt want to go out in the rain?

MTM
OP petellis 20 Oct 2006
In reply to MingTheMerciless:

no way mate - not if you're slagging us off. thought you'd quit this year anyhow? the busses are full anyhow.
In reply to petellis:

Nobhead! youd use me for my car if i hadnt rolled it. does your ass still hurt after last night sweety?

MTM
 victorclimber 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis: shouldnt it be TOSSERS ?
 SiWood 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

By complete chance the North Yorkshire axe murderers society are having their annual trip to brimham on that day.

Dont let the freshers wander off by themselves now !!
sam the man 20 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis: Either this is an incredibly unimaginative troll or you are an incredibly unimaginative club (and you are a bit of a knob) why cant you split up/give some of the freshers the chance to go and climb on their own? (lots can you know). I suppose you are at least letting people know, but in a fairly rude way, and you seem to completely disregard others. why cant you do inductions indoors, or do a couple over several weeks? Do inconsiderate groups not annoy you out climbing, or are you always in the inconsiderate group?
If this is a troll then 0/10 for originality and imagination, but a good 5/10 for reaction.
Sam
 Enty 20 Oct 2006
In reply to brothersoulshine:

Jeez, i'm afraid of biting at a bite!
Funny though!

The Ent
sam the man 20 Oct 2006
In reply to sam the man: BTW, what the f*ck are you talking about "promoting our sport" how is top roping an entire crag promoting anything except lack of consideration for others? the last thing we need is 70 new climbers who think its cool to take over a crag with slimy shoes and top ropes!!
Sam
 kipper12 20 Oct 2006
In reply to Sean_J:

No, I cant be bothered with the crowds, I have a few days off in the week for that, wehn you lazy lot are still tucked sucking your thumbs.
 Ridge 20 Oct 2006
In reply to lummox and brothersoulshine:

Speechless...

I hear they will be bolting a few routes as well.
 andi_e 21 Oct 2006
In reply to ashleylist:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>
> God of rain do your thing
If you actually enjoy climbing at stanage anyway you're misguided.
 Andy S 21 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis: I can't believe some people have taken this seriously. It's clearly a troll. Poor effort!
Athatar 21 Oct 2006
In reply to almost every single post on this board:

I would like to address everyone on this forum who think petellis is either a troll or that you can complain about this trip.

First of petellis is NOT a troll. He was posting to inform you of a fresher's trip happening this sunday. Now, it may be me but, if i was planning a trip this weekend i would like to know if there are any big groups climbing. That way i could re-orgainise my weekend.

Some posts talk about taking smaller groups. Have you thought that this weekend might be the only time that the uni club leaders could run the trip due to pressing engagments like, i don't know, their degree? This could be the only weekend they could run a introduction trip. And, yea, some people will still say that he is being inconsiderate beacuse he is taking a big group to climb. Now i may be wrong but isn't there something like 85 crags in North Yorkshire alone? Whats so important that you HAVE to climb Brimham on this perticular day?

Lastly, to those of you slagging off fresher groups. I am not only a fresher but i am planning to go on the trip being organised by petellis. Now before people like MTM complain about me
"drag[ing] mud everywhere so they can phone there mummies on there stupid prshiuos mobiles to tell them theyre 'climbing'."
Please let it be known i am going on this trip to get OFF top rope. I have never been in the position to get off top rope due to lack of crags near where i live and lack of equipment equipment. By joining this club i hope to be in the position to learn to lead quickly and cheaply.

But looking at the reception that climbers give to people new to the sport i got to think, is it worth it? Do i want to be part of a sport that complains when new climbers arrive? Yea, it might be inconvenient FOR ONE SINGLE DAY but hopefully some freshers will leave wanting to get off top rope. They might decide they want to learn to climb. Now I don't think even you guys are selfesh enough to moan when other people enjoy doing what you enjoy.

Ok, I'm sorry that this post is so long but somebody had to put across the other side of the argument. And no, i'm not a troll or a flamer so don't bother accusing me of it.

andi_e 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Athatar: I'll call you a troll and a flamer until you learn to spell properly.
Athatar 21 Oct 2006
In reply to andi_e:
In reply to andi_e:

I really don't want to get in an argument with you about spelling. What I wanted was join in with the debate, but if you judge my first post on spelling alone then well, there is no in point me even trying.
But, just to let you know, I have always had a problem with spelling and I have always believed that in an informal discussion that spelling wouldn't be the biggest priority. So, yea, I have problems spelling, but if you were having a debate with some one with a lisp would you ignore this argument because he can't "talk properly"?
 Andy Hobson 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Athatar:

Sorry, group trolls have been done before. You're not convincing anyone.
 andi_e 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Athatar: Yes.
 184Dave 21 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis: Have you informed the National trust of your planned trip or approached the BMC access officer for this area. Just a thought as these guys fight for our right to access, a large group might create a problem for future.
Prior preperation prevents piss poor perfomance.
Cheers Dave B
 Ridge 21 Oct 2006
In reply to andi_e:
> (In reply to Athatar) I'll call you a troll and a flamer until you learn to spell properly.

Shocking isn't it, the poor level of spelling and trolling that comes out of universities these days?
 andi_e 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Ridge: Things they should have had drilled into them at school are forgotten...
Nidderdale Alliance 21 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:
Please be aware that the National Trust have been alerted to your plans and you will be asked to leave if there is any music, barbeques and obstructive behaviour the police will be called.

A group of us local farmers are particularly anxious that no problems occur around tupping and we have out castrating irons at the ready. This will make Vixen Torr look like a walk in the park. You have been warned.
 andi_e 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Nidderdale Alliance: *Cough* troll #3- this is a really trollerific thread!
 Jamie B 21 Oct 2006
Part of the reason that we get a spate of these mass invasions of crags at this time of year appears to be that University clubs work on a principle of signing up as many disorientated freshers as possible at the start of the term in order to swell club coffers/drinking funds. It then becomes encumbent on them to provide something in exchange, which given the hopeless imbalance between competent or semi-competent leaders and trainer-clad novices simply has to be a mass top-roping excercise. Generally after a few of these the uncommitted will start to drift away and the leaderead ratio will become one that actually allows teaching and development. Sadly in the meantime many routes will have been hogged, other climbers pissed off and crags trampled and littered.

Is there a better way?
 rock waif 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Jamie B.: They could go to a climbing wall.
 Si dH 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Jamie B.:
Cambridge (for this year, and last year when I was a member) have taken 50 freshers to the roaches for a day (we do need the money from them, yes) and had about 10 leaders or so. Half go off leading/seconding with the leaders, and therefore not hogging anything, and the otehr half go and do some supervised bouldering and abseiling (only in one place and not over a route people would want to do), then they swap over at lunch.

This is very easy to organise and involves no top-roping or route-hogging of any sort.
brothersoulshine 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Athatar:

What a lot of effort you're going to for such an unimaginative and unoriginal troll.
HailandKill 22 Oct 2006
In reply to most of you:

You lot are brilliant, you really are. Bravo.

"You're a troll!"
"He's a troll!"

Let me get this right... petellis is a troll because he's informing you that Brimham is going to be full of students?

Shit.. I ask those who think he's a troll to call his bluff. Go to Brimham.

If truth be told to find the trolls here you need only look in mirrors. I'll feely admit I'm being a troll too. I'm replying to you lot in hopes I can get you in even more hysterics, and I'm using a proxy.

If he's a troll, why are you replying? You're only feeding us. You can still take the high ground here; all you have to do is to stop for one second and think.
littlebear 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Poffers:
> (In reply to ashleylist) Here here!!! A friend of mine used to make a point of soloing next to big silly top roping groups ensuing he took the time to stop on his way up and point out all of the holds they should be using and everything they were donig wrong. Oh how we did laugh!!!!

excellent... wish i'd been there
 SouthernSteve 22 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:
Troll or not - the weather is disgustingly wet this morning here. Not a good introduction for real or imaginary students!
In reply to SouthernSteve:
Brightening now, although gusty and showery - worth a walk if not a climb
 2pints 22 Oct 2006
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Good job it's fine and bright in Yorkshire
 Mike Hartley 22 Oct 2006
In reply to HailandKill:

0/10. Not one of the more impressive ones I've heard.

Note to everyone: Have you noticed alot of these trolls are fairly anonymous, they don't have proper profiles. Just something I've picked up on over my time here.
In reply to 2pints:
Yorkshire is quite a big place. I was writing only 7 miles from Brimham and although fair between 10 and 12, it has rained nearly all day!
 Becky E 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Mike Hartley:

Oh, FFS, petellis and co are NOT trolls. The reason I didn't go climbing with my brother today was because he was busy doing this freshers trip to Brimham, which he was good enough to warn you all about. If you chose to ignore it and dismiss him as a troll then more fool you. I just hope they had a good day despite the weather.

They go there every year, they're pretty well organised, and I'm sure they've cleared it with the NT etc.

Just because someone doesn't have a humungous posting history on here doesn't mean their a troll. Pete has posted here sporadically for a while now: we aren't all tied to our computers all day - some of us do some work occasionally.
 Marcus Buckley 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Becky E:

It must be a troll cos no one would be irresponsible enough to take up all the routes VS and below at a top notch venue, not to mention on a weekend and at the start of the grit season. That would just be totally out of order.
 Mick B 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Marcus Buckley: That`s exactly what happened this time last year. Ended up going over to Almscliffe, much quieter.
 The Lemming 22 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

Could not read all this thread because tears are rolling down my cheeks with fits of laughter.

Best Troll thread in ages.

Lets all go to Brimham next week to watch this bun fight.
In reply to petellis:

haha loving this.
Someone with little democratic / communication skills tries to politely warn others, provoking bad reactions n the situation gets worse. Nice one matey! i hope you managed to do as many other uni's do by organising your day without cloging up the crag excessivly... or is your uni just a bit of a drop out?

i hope you had a nice day
OP petellis 23 Oct 2006
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain:

thanks for all your input guys! i wet myself reading this thread. the OP was half troll half for real - the trip was a great success - no rain and only one person with cocussion at the end.

The OP was so offensive as a backlash against all the nausious arse licking apologetic posts about freshers trips on here over the last couple of months - its only one trip and we do pick the mankyest crag in yorkshire that already has teeming hordes of tourists at it anyway. i think its rather a shame no one from this thread came and vented their high blood pressure on us on the day.

surely no one read the OP and took it too seriously - if you did i feel you were a bit of a looser...

ashleylist 23 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

HEHE,

it was friday and it was a bit of fun.

oh and explain what happend here?

the trip was a great success - no rain and only one person with cocussion at the end.

Simon Caldwell 23 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:
> we do pick the mankyest crag in yorkshire

you need to get about a bit more!

> surely no one read the OP and took it too seriously

it would seem that many did
 Becky E 23 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

Hey Pete. Mum told me about the concussion! Stupid idiot didn't listen to your lecture about helmets then!
 jkarran 23 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

Ha ha, you broke a fresher? At least In my day I only lost one, I never actually broke one!

jk
 Bob Hassall 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I realise Brimham is definitely not the mankiest crag in yorkshire, but I was amazed at my last visit (July) just how green and under-used it seemed to be. Is it so out of vogue? Personally I like to have the crag to myself but green routes in July.... what's Yorkshire Grit coming to?

Mind you last week at Almscliff, awesome, as always.
 CurlyStevo 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Bob Hassall:
I think Brimham is a great place to climb. A bit of greeness is not uncommon on grit outside the eastern edges of the peak. Certainly doesn't seen to effect the friction much.
In reply to petellis:

ok, we have the first nomination for troll of the year. congrats! luvin your work
 SouthernSteve 24 Oct 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I agree I have taken friends to Cubic block through to Lovers Leap on lots of occasions and despite being green over the winter and spring they are always grippy. Fag slab and the climbs around to the north though seem to be generally vaselined after a few days of rain.
 Funkybigjobs 25 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis: Bit selfish innit? How about everyone hog all the bars so you student lot cant get drinks?
Removed User 25 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis:

Thanks for the info. -- helpful
 Funkybigjobs 25 Oct 2006
In reply to petellis: Ding!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...