UKC

Bouldering near Lancaster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
simonclimb 06 Nov 2006
Does anyone know about outdoor bouldering near Lancaster? I heard awhile ago that there was some East of the University (very close)but I can't find reference in the guide books.
Just moved up here...In fact what are the best crags that would make a Stanage local feel at home up North?
 Andy Hobson 06 Nov 2006
In reply to simonclimb:

Thorn Crag. It's grit and everything.
 andy 06 Nov 2006
In reply to simonclimb:"I heard awhile ago that there was some East of the University"

Would that be on Clougha Pike? T'other side of the Lune Valley, near Quernmore iirc.
 Jon Wickham 06 Nov 2006
In reply to simonclimb: Get your self a copy of Lancashire Rock, it's the local guide, though not very bouldering orientated. Good venues nearby are, Trowbarrow, Fairy Steps, Woodwell (all limestone) and Thorn Crag (grit) which is quite far from the road. Take a look at these websites: www.lakesbloc.co.uk, www.nwclimbing.co.uk, or come in to the shop (ultimate outdoors in town) and have a chat. Are you at the uni?
simonclimb 06 Nov 2006
In reply to Jon Wickham: I'm at St Martins College. It's got a outdoor club (not good at the moment) with no climbers in it!!!! Did I speak to you in the shop? Are you in year 2 at St Martins?
 Jon Wickham 06 Nov 2006
In reply to simonclimb: No that's Dave, cracking guy. I'm the one with the messy ginger hair! Shame you guys are low on climbers, I reckon there must be a few at st. martin's. You could try joing the bigger uni's club. Also have just set up an emailing list for people in lancaster who are looking for partners or just want to get involved in the local scene. Haven't advertised it yet, so I'm the only member: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lancasterclimbers/
 Adders 07 Nov 2006
In reply to simonclimb: thorn crag. one of the nicest crags in the uk.
you'll need a car though.
 biscuit 07 Nov 2006
In reply to simonclimb:

Lancashire rock is actually on-line. I think it's as simple as doing a search on Lancashire Rock. Tends to be more Preston/Bolton way though.

I went to S.Martin's. What course you on ?

Bouldering is great around Carnforth way. There is a bus from Lancaster out that way. Lakesbloc will show you the locations. Buses to Heysham for Heysham itself ( under- rated little area Liz's Lip is a cracker) and Heysham Head are regular and from Carnforth its another bus or a couple of miles walk to a village called Warton - nearest to Woodwell etc.Can be a bit leaky and damp at this time of year - it's predominantly overhanging limestone.

A car is a lot better if you can cadge a lift. There are plenty of climbing folk in Lancaster for you to pal up with.
 biscuit 07 Nov 2006
In reply to biscuit:

Forgot to say if you're REALLY desperate there is always the free bus to the uni and the freezing cold converted squash court bouldering wall.

It's better than nothing :0)

Is there still a fingerboard in the sports hall at S.Martin's ?

However that was.....years ago.
In reply to simonclimb:

I'm surprised Greg hasn't popped up with this:
www.lakesbloc.co.uk
Lots of good venues.
I've had a wander around Clougha. There are a few problems but nothing outstanding enough to justify the wandering about. Not that I found- I may have missed some gems.
Hope that helps.
 Tom Phillips 07 Nov 2006
In reply to bentley's biceps:

anyone tried the small quarry near the water viaduct just a mile or so from Quernmore? - has small red arrows painted on the rock (very old) showing the lines - some bits rather too high to boulder though!

I often go out bouldering mid week (day time) from lancaster so just email me if you want a lift any time, and I'll let you know when I'm heading out
billybob 07 Nov 2006
In reply to simonclimb: try this website http://www.lakesbloc.co.uk - thorn crag nearest grit to you I think and views of the sea
 london_huddy 07 Nov 2006
In reply to biscuit: freezing cold?You should be so lucky. we used to try to be the first ones in to get the coldest and driest conditions for projects...
 net 07 Nov 2006
In reply to Tom Phillips: Is that the one just under Clougha somewhere round here http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=54.0438&lon=-2.7086&scal... I saw that when I went for a run on Clougha just a bit ago and but couldn't decide whether it looked a bit mingin' or not.

I still say there are problems in Williamson Park, especially a crimpy traverse behind an inconveniently placed park bench in front of it by the lake
 net 07 Nov 2006
In reply to Adders: Or 40ish minutes on a bike from Lancaster. Maybe not with a bouldering mat though I shouldn't think
 butterworthtom 07 Nov 2006
In reply to net:
Where are there rocks in williamsons park?? wish i had known this, cause i went to the grammar! Trowbarrow is very good, main wall is going to fall down apparantly tho. Woodwell is supposed to be good but hard, havent been yet so i wouldnt known. There is some uber hard bouldering in trowbarrow.
 net 07 Nov 2006
In reply to butterworthtom:
> (In reply to net)
> Where are there rocks in williamsons park?? wish i had known this, cause i went to the grammar!

Hm, probably in my imagination, really, because the idea of living over the road from some climbable rock is most appealing! There is grit in there (as one would expect since it's built around an old quarry); however, most of it is green, lichenous and a bit dank. Still, I've definitely managed a few metres of traversing 'til the park bench got in the way.

net

p.s. - It should be noted that I'm easily entertained since I am, quite frankly, very poor at bouldering.
 butterworthtom 07 Nov 2006
In reply to net:
p.s. - It should be noted that I'm easily entertained since I am, quite frankly, very poor at bouldering.

ah
 Tom Phillips 07 Nov 2006
In reply to net:

thats the one - looks nice when it's dry - worth a look if you wan a visit with a short rope or mats

as is the bouldering at the park - would need a bit of brushing though? happy to meet up there if you want as well
 Adders 08 Nov 2006
In reply to net: if you wanna bike from lancaster to the venue then up the steep & long walk in with a bouldering mat on tow. your a hell of a lot fitter/crazier than i am.
 net 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Adders: It was hypothetical, like - I've got a car!
simonclimb 09 Nov 2006
In reply to biscuit: May cause waves but yes the Uni wall (well airless squash court) does kind of suck!

Not seen the fingerboard here at St Martins, will look.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...