UKC

Findhorn Eco-village

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DougG 08 Nov 2006
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findhorn_Ecovillage

Residents of the Findhorn Ecovillage (pictured) have the lowest ecological footprint of any community measured so far in the industrialised world?

Might take a wee wander up there some time, looks interesting.
 tony 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Findhorn's really interesting. We visited there on our MSc field trip a few years ago. There's a bit of a hippy hangover from the founding ideals of the 60s (I think), but they also have some great examples of energy-efficient buildings (including a straw bale house), and lots of good sustainability ideas.

One thing I found particularly interesting was the fact that they have a big wind turbine on site, which is pretty much next door to RAF Kinloss, which rather flies in the face of the MoD's opposition to wind farmson the grounds that aircraft electronics get scuppered by the movement of the wind turbines - doesn't seem to be a problem at Findhorn!

Once you get past the group hugs, the lunches are really nice - great heaps of fresh produce.
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to tony:

Right, definitely taking the family up there some time next spring then!
In reply to DougG:

You can go and sit in a big tent with hot stones in the middle and sweat all your demons out.

Personally I prefer to just go to the sauna in Inverness Leisure Center so I don't have to put up with all those stinking bloody hippies!

Check out Logie Head if you do come up this way.

Andy
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Mac Ghille Aindrais:

Already been to Logie Head once, lovely wee spot.
heather monkey 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
More about the Foundation here Doug:
http://www.findhorn.org/home_new.php
Quite a fascinating place, definitely worth a visit. The Findhorn Beach is a good place for a walk too, especially if you need to clear the hippy cobwebs out of your head!
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to heather monkey:

There's a wifie there that can tell you what life's purpose is!

http://www.findhorn.org/programmes/life_purpose.php
 Nevis-the-cat 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Bring your copy of Top Gear magazine to test their peacenik habits
 jim robertson 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Have you looked at Scoraig? Quite a remarkable community and without the formal structure that Findhorn has, just a community composed of people with similar ideals.
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to jim robertson:

Never heard of it Jim!
 Denni 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
Doug,
really good place to visit.
My ex is a Pagan and she loved it, not that it is a Pagan place. They helped her with depression on one of their workshops and generally they were nice people.
efinately worth a visit.
Den
 AG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to jim robertson: I've heard of them, nicer spot to have a commune too!...
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke:

Think the kids should have plenty to look at too Den, definitely one for next spring!
Craig_M 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
> (In reply to heather monkey)
>
> There's a wifie there that can tell you what life's purpose is!
>
> http://www.findhorn.org/programmes/life_purpose.php

And her purpose appears to be fleecing the gullible.
In reply to jim robertson: Hi Jim,

Scoraig's a great place, and better still is set in the jaggy grandeur of Wester Ross - but I was interested when on a visit there last year to hear some residents comment that despite the proliferation of turbines (Hugh Pigott who lives there has become an authority on micro- and midi-scale wind energy) and reuse of materials, the remoteness means that in some ways they have surprising large environmental footprints - not surprising when you consider the amount of handling and energy involved in getting anything to or from the peninsula.

The population is changing a bit too - it's much harder now for anyone without a lot of money to get established there. A good few times over the last 20 years or so I've hankered after settling there.

Still a fantastic place though!

Cheers,

Andy
In reply to AG:

It is quite important to the residents that they are not seen as members of a "commune". They have always felt this way.
 panyan 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Andy Macpherson:

Interesting story today about an attempt to be environmentally sound in a remote area.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1941850,00.html
 Nevis-the-cat 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I am off to ask HR if the firm will send me on this course for my CPD diary.

Mind you, when strangers appear in my flat in Hackney, it is not to spread love and hugs...

http://www.findhorn.org/programmes/programme208.php
 toad 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: In a way it's quite sad that environmental improvements seem to need to have this new age rubbish bolted onto it - Wouldn't it be something if a community of ad execs, biochemists and lawyers started taking steps to reduce their footprint?
In reply to Andy Macpherson:

I hear what you're saying Andy. Should Findhorn be located where Scoraig is I would guess it's environmental footprint would be more akin to a size 11 as opposed to a dainty 5!

jim.
 winhill 08 Nov 2006
In reply to toad:

Isn't Hockerton a bit like that?
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

Gary Renard, clearly a sly fox with a name like that.
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to toad:

> In a way it's quite sad that environmental improvements seem to need to have this new age rubbish bolted onto it - Wouldn't it be something if a community of ad execs, biochemists and lawyers started taking steps to reduce their footprint?

Very true!

Rubbishy 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

clever, very clever Mr G.

Will you arrive at Findhorn sporting your Talisman / JP Kenny Oil T Shirt?
 Mike C 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

If you go into the village shop in Findhorn remember to say hello to Judith, Rob Naylor's sister.
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C:

Oh aye I know Judith all right! An absolute star.
In reply to panyan: Hi panyan,

It's funny, isn't it? In these remote places you don't get any of the economies of scale or infrastructure, yet at the same time they make alternatives more attractive - like the solar panels on alpine huts.

I suppose in a way it anticipates what could well happen in future - if fuel prices go through the roof, the "eco" alternatives become financially as well as environmentally attractive.

Cheers,

Andy
Removed User 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Craig_M:
> (In reply to DougG)
> [...]
>
> And her purpose appears to be fleecing the gullible.

I think it's more of a case of the gullible fleecing the gullible.

"Mainly harmless" is my view of the community even though they do have what appears to be a shrine to *some* of the founders in their main hall. They do grow nice vegetables and will tell you that it is due to gardening with a view to oneness with nature or something. I think they also believe that the fairies help them grow the vegetables because they don't use nasty chemicals. That's my recollection of it all.
In reply to Mac Ghille Aindrais: Hi Mac Ghille Aindrais,

Mind you I've heard plenty of people at Scoraig and Findhorn complaining about "bloody hippies" and new-agey stuff too!

A
 Rob Naylor 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Hmmm. Judith's lived in Findhorn since the early 70s (village, not Foundation) and my mum's lived there since about 1975.

Not sure what it's like now (village and Foundation seem to have settled into a mutual tolerance after some problems in the early days) but even visiting there as a student, I found it a bit creepy. A similar set-up to Scientology in many ways, in that (back then at least) they charged credulous (but reasonably well-off) people a lot of money to take courses that were of questionabe value outside the Foundation's own self-referential system.

It wasn't helped by the suspicions in the village of the founder (Peter Caddy) who was, shall we say, a "colourful" character and, in the same way as L. Ron Hubbard, "massaged" his past quite a bit for the benefit of his acolytes.

Similarly, the Foundation also morphed its ideas and philosophies in the same way as Scientology, but the early claims of giant vegetables and the "Findhorn Garden" etc were based on (a) exaggeration and (b) the fact that the Foundation's garden was previously the village's "night soil" dump, and therefore extremely fertile (so a rational explantion for why things grew better there than anywhere else in the sandy-soiled village).

Go and have a look by all means, but I've seen how the place has developed over the years, and I'm quite cynical about it. They've always been good with the propaganda according to whatever the latest fad is. Now that we're all supposed to be green, it doesn't surprise me that they're pusing their "low eco-footprint" rather than God, then the "Network of Light" and subsequently the talks with elves and fauns that were all the rage in the 70s (when undergraduates spent long hours discussing Tolkein).

They probably are quite "green" in terms of ecological footprint, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everything they do is good.

Cynical Rob

OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Sure Rob, will go there for a look but not intending to move in just yet!
 Rob Naylor 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I spent a lot of time in Findhorn in the 70s working as a barman at the Yacht Club before I got a proper job. At that time there was a lot of bitching in the village because the Foundation was buying up houses there. They were also accused (rightly or wrongly) of manipulating some of the younger local "trustafarian" types into signing over properties and funds to them. There were two or three well-heeled local kids of about my age who seemed to have been "targetted" by the Foundation and ended up giving it most of their money.

So I got a very bad impression of it while I was there. treat what I say accordingly .

Keep an open mind, but not so open that yer brain falls out.
 toad 08 Nov 2006
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> Isn't Hockerton a bit like that? Yes, fair point. They have a splendid reedbed too

In reply to DougG:

Look at the size of those melons, Hippy.

P.S. The Kimberley Chowder at the Inn is lovely and they have Real Ale too.
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

Noted!
Jules B 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: The Inn does massive Sunday roasts too
 Marc C 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Both Findhorn and Scoraig sound interesting places to visit. Like all communities I'm sure they'll have their 'politics', contradictions and in-fighting (I don't expect to find utopias!), but at least they're striving to embody something more environmentally and spiritually-aware than the wider 'normal' 'sane' 'non-hippy' world.
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Jules B:

Sounds like a place worth heading for. Must admit though, never really been one for roast beef and the like - think the only time I ever eat it these days is the last night at Glencoe, courtesy of the above-mentioned Judith Naylor!
 Rubbishy 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Marc C:

All very well, but why do they locate themsleves in such remote places? Bloody long drive and costs a fortune in petrol for the X5.
 Marc C 08 Nov 2006
In reply to John Rushby: Same reason they hold these stupid bloody LAMMs and KIMMs in remote places. To give you Southern pen-pushing jessies a Big 'adventure' Day Out
Jules B 08 Nov 2006
In reply to John Rushby: Findhorn's not remote....from Ardersier!
 Rubbishy 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Marc C:

As opposed to you northern Proust reading ponces.
OP DougG 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Jules B:

English bloke in our office told me he was off to "Ardersiyay" at the weekend. Made it sound like somewhere on the French Riviera.
 Denni 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Jules B:
Does Ardersier still have the Ship Inn, the Alma, the Gun lodge and the Star?
Had a house there once a long time ago....
Den
PS Jules have to check my schedule, but might be able to join you in Fort Bill for the nav thingy. Am up there renovating my hoose over that period!
Jules B 08 Nov 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke: It still has the Gun, the Star is now the George, the Alma is boarded up and the Ship is holiday cottages behind my wee hoose.
Jules B 08 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: lolololol! It's quite nice though not quite the French Riviera!!
 Denni 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Jules B:
I used to own 32 High Street, just basically opposite the gun
Many moons ago....
The good old days down Mr Gees!
Jules B 08 Nov 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke: Ah right, I know that part of the village...I have one of the old derelict houses that Weems the coaches used to own, in the conservation part of the village although it is now far from derelict. I have never been to Mr Gees
 Denni 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Jules B:
Well you definately weren't missing much,
Better than going to the Moray Firth!
Last time I was there, went to Johnny Foxes? and there seemed to be heaps of trendy bars over the river. Not my scene.
Nice place, but living in Ft Bill is better

Ron Walker 12 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Be WARNED Doug it's all really well sign posted and easy to get into BUT really difficult to find the exit when you are trying to leave and I'm not joking.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron
 Steve Parker 12 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

The god Pan lives there, apparently, and they grow giant sprouts.

Actually, I had a new age hippyish mate who spent some time there. He found it a bit 'on-message', but I'd quite like to visit. I always like the idea of these Utopian communities. Dunno why, I was brought up in a commune that collapsed due to stupid infighting and ego-flares. Should have learned my lesson by now.
 Ron Walker 12 Nov 2006
In reply to Steve Parker:

Found interesting link re Findhorn founders

http://www.urantiagate.com/conspiracy.html

"The "Voices" of Findhorn

Britain and Canada were partners with USA in the early mind-control studies -- in fact British Intelligence was thought to be its most important liaison. In 1951 the CIA induced Britain to begin its own experimental projects shortly before Eileen Caddy began hearing an inner voice which identified itself as "God". Her then-current husband, Andrew Combe, from whom Peter Caddy virtually stole her away -- who was, by the way, Caddy's own Royal Air Force (RAF) commander -- was a member of Moral Rearmament, into which the CIA had known ties. Circa 1956 Peter Caddy and Sheena Govan (ex-British Intelligence) isolated Eileen Caddy on the Scottish island of Mull. It is populated largely in the south by Duart Clan Maclean. Eileen was subjected to what appears to be nothing other than a classical (Chinese/Korean-type) brainwashing procedure -- isolation, sleep deprivation, prolonged maintenance of painful positions, ego-devastating disparagement............."
 Steve Parker 12 Nov 2006
In reply to Ron Walker:

Wow, that's quite interesting. Some deep need for somthing at the heart of the Findhorn community there. Maybe a need to see gods. I don't think it totally negates what they have become, but it's a very revealing angle. This is the great stuff about the Net.
 Doug 13 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Can't believe you've never visited, much as I'm sceptical of anything religous or new age it is worth a wee detour. I last went on a wet day in August for a meal in the café, potter around the shop, wander round the eco village & a stroll along the beach. There is a calmness there which I can see is attractive although I suspect I'd last five minutes as a resident (although I have an idea the eco village is in someway separate from the 'community').

Ron's right about the exit being difficult to find - just remember its near the shop
 Rob Naylor 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Steve Parker:

Hmmm...it's an angle, I suppose.

But the reason for the success of the garden has always been told to me as being due to the garden being on the site of the former (pre-sewerage) village "night soil" dump, and hence "naturally" far more fertile than the surrounding sandy soil.
 Dave80 13 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: I used to go up there with my folks on a regular basis when I was a young nipper but to the village not the foundation. We were more interested in going to have a look around the marina and the boats and playing on the beach than anything else. Not been up there in ages though, might have to pay it a visit again some time soon. Oh and I seem to remember the shop at the marina sold some fine ice creams!
 Steve Parker 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> (In reply to Steve Parker)
>
> Hmmm...it's an angle, I suppose.
>
I was saying that the revelations about the founders was an interesting angle on their later claims, not that it was anything to do with the success of the garden. We seem to have got a glitch somewhere.
 The Crow 13 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

The Foundation is quite the place... there's money in New Age or so it would seem. The people are well meaning I suppose but a bit too hippy intense for me.

If you look up books published by Foundation Publishing you can find some 60's books that're real New Age mental IMO full of philosophys that seem very dated now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...