UKC

Apex Index

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hugedyno 14 Nov 2006
The recent thread about the route ' Kayak ' got me thinking.

I don't know if anyone's ever thought about this statistic before, but there's been a couple of times when I've found a bodylength reach to be quite useful whilst climbing. I'm talking about ' absolute reach ' ie. from finger tip to toe. A popular example would be the route ' Wings of Unreason '. Another time I thought about it was whilst stretched out under the roof of ' Charlie's Overhang '.

Everybody goes on about ' Ape Index ', but really, its more about absolute span when you're stretching horizontally between holds. The ratio of span to height is of no consequence. Similarly, there are moves out there where an ' Apex Index ' is similarly important. Since I've invented the concept, it won't invole a ratio to height, as the length of someone's neck ( ie. part of their height measurement ) is meaningless.

Okay, get the tape measures out. I'll start the ball rolling. Remember, stand on your toes ( but tips aren't allowed, for all you ballerinas out there ! ) and reach as high as possible. Twisting the torso IS allowed if it increases your reach. For argument's sake, measure from the floor to the tip of your longest ( hopefully the middle ) finger.

My ' Apex Index ' is...............

101"

HD. :-0)

ampfryer 14 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno: 88" - told you I was a shortarse...
 willhunt 14 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno: And there was me thinking this was going to be about everyones favourite hole in the ground
 A Crook 14 Nov 2006
In reply to willhunt:

which hole is that then?

mines the one at the junction between sefton park road and ulet road you can get a snmall child in it if you stand on their head.
Kev on the road 14 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno:
105" for me.
octopus 14 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno:
Theres no such thing as strength problems - only reach problems...
 Ropeboy 15 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno:

I thought ape index was the difference between your height and your reach, for example my ape index is about +1 inches.

J
hugedyno 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Ropeboy:
> (In reply to hugedyno)
>
> I thought ape index was the difference between your height and your reach, for example my ape index is about +1 inches.
>
> J

Yeah, true. But your height effectively means ' dick-all ' when it comes to spanning between 2 holds. What matters is your actual reach. eg Someone 5' 2" could have a +6 Ape Index and therefore span 5' 8". Someone 5' 10" could have a -1 Ape Index and therefore span 5' 9". So its a useless ratio IMHO.

This ' Apex Index ' is to do with what you can reach static, whilst standing with your toes on a small foothold and reaching as high as possible.

Its just a bit of fun, but might add fuel to the odd ' easier for the tall ' argument concerning some routes.

HD.

hugedyno 15 Nov 2006
In reply to octopus:
> (In reply to hugedyno)
> Theres no such thing as strength problems - only reach problems...

I think you've got that quote the WRONG WAY ROUND !

lol!
HD.

PS. What's your Apex Index ?

Andy Cantrell 15 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno:

I thought Ape index was how long your arms are in proportion to your body (so a high ape index results in you looking like an ape), but maybe i just imagined that up. If so, you would have less mass to lug up and more arm muscle
hugedyno 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Andy Cantrell:
> (In reply to hugedyno)
>
> If so, you would have less mass to lug up and more arm muscle

Unless you've got really fat short legs, a fat ar5e and gut and thin arms lol !

Or you could have very wide shoulders, short arms and a ridiculously short torso...... and medium legs !

The combinations are endless.....

HD.

squeek 15 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno:
> (In reply to Ropeboy)
> [...]
>
> Yeah, true. But your height effectively means ' dick-all ' when it comes to spanning between 2 holds. What matters is your actual reach.

Disagree. You're saying it as if every move is straight up. What about undercuts, sidepulls, etc? If your ape index is small but you're tall it's not going to help slapping sideways to an arete.

Think about the difference of someone who's 6 foot with -8" ape index, and someone who's 5'8" with +8. You say they're both the same because the 5'8" man can reach straight up the same distance, but he has a big advantage on all the other moves too, and will be able to do rockovers easier. Plus he'll actually weigh less because his 'actual reach' comes from his arms, whereas the tall mans comes from his body.
hugedyno 15 Nov 2006
In reply to squeek:
> (In reply to hugedyno)
> [...]
>
> Disagree. You're saying it as if every move is straight up.

For argumen't sake, I've made the ApeX Index a static measurement from tip to toe. You can have major holds under a roof where this would apply as in the ability to hold a static stretch, rather than cutting loose.

> What about undercuts, sidepulls, etc? If your ape index is small but you're tall it's not going to help slapping sideways to an arete.

Yeah, but a neutral Ape index for a 6'er is still greater than the 5' 4" + 6" er. So what I meant was that Ape index can sometimes be a bit misleading.

> Think about the difference of someone who's 6 foot with -8" ape index, and someone who's 5'8" with +8. You say they're both the same because the 5'8" man can reach straight up the same distance, but he has a big advantage on all the other moves too, and will be able to do rockovers easier.

Let me clarify. This ' Apex Index '( which I invented, and now wish I'd named differently to avoid comparisons ) is purely to do with full stretch. In this framework, both your above examples would be equal. Other ( eg. ' Span ' measurements ) are outside the scope of it.

My problem with the Ape Index, is that your ' height ' is made up of the following:

Head/Neck
Torso
Legs

all of which can vary in ratio. You could be identical to someone in every other aspect APART FROM having a 2" shorter head/neck, which would give you a +2" larger ' Ape Index ' and absolutely no anatomical advantage for climbing.

Cheers,
HD.

In reply to hugedyno:

<<hangs head in shame>>

81"

I am *such* a shortarse.
 Marc C 15 Nov 2006
In reply to rockclimbingtigger: 87-88" in bare feet!
 philo 15 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno: im 5'10.5 and my ape index is 6'2
 Gybebunny 15 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno:

Apex index 91" and I'm 5'8"
 Marc C 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Gybebunny: Ah, a +23 Apex index! Mine's +22
 long 15 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno: I'm about 102".
 yeti 15 Nov 2006
In reply to hugedyno:

101" definately relevant, if ya can't reach the hold yer stuffed

oh and i've an ape index of +5

i've heard there are routes which are easier for the short folk
but i'm glad i have the reach
 Marc C 15 Nov 2006
In reply to yeti: Hmm, looking at people's profile pages (for hardest climb achieved) there doesn't appear to be much (if any) correlation between Apex Index and climbing level.
 Gybebunny 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Ape index +1 though.

I'm really getting into this measurement lark now.

yeti 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Marc C:

aye i'll hold my hand up to muppetry and punterdom

and not updating me profile

though i havn't done anything impressive

still lookin at that hvs, and i know a few good climers so
it should be easy to go do it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...