UKC

almscliff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SecretSquirrel 23 Dec 2006
Hmmm, first day on the infamous yorkshire grit... few decent boulders but damp, dingy & kneedeep in mud - so really, whats all the fuss about?
Hotbad Peteel 23 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel:

its grit and its not the peak. thats 2 plus points
p
 craig h 23 Dec 2006

It's Yorkshire climbers for you, they make places like Almscliff sound very good to attract climbers from else where, 1 trip here and they don't come back to Yorkshire!

The quallity crags like Halton Heights, Guisecliff Spofforth, Calvery Quarry and Adel Crag remain undiscovered by the masses and provide far better climbing and bouldering
Juicy Lucy 23 Dec 2006

I don't like it!!
Hotbad Peteel 23 Dec 2006
 craig h 23 Dec 2006
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

Almscliff has always suffered during the winter months with mud, it's a good place for the cows to shelter from the wind - closer the crag the better.

It is also an acquired taste, the climbing is excellent, but takes a few visits to get used to the sloppy holds, strenuous cracks and rounded finishes. Usually knocks you back a grade or 2 at first, but well worth spending the time getting aquainted to the style of here, especially during winter months as it drys quickly.
 sculptor 24 Dec 2006

Trust me.......it's shit. Don't come back
 The Pylon King 24 Dec 2006

horrible place
TimS 24 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel: My favourite crag, but not that much was in nick yesterday except for Demon Wall Roof and Crucifix/Pebble Wall area. If you climb up to about Font 7b/c there is enough there to keep you going for ages, and even if you climb up to around font 6c there's enough for a day at least.

I bet most other crags weren't in nick yesterday, that's the beauty of almscliff, probably the first grit crag to dry.

What problems did you try?
 jas wood 24 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel: brimham blows it out of the water in my opinion.
tsk, you lot are no fun - Adam said there should be at least a little bit of righteous indignation for saying Almscliff isn't all that!

It was actually very good, did some nice slabby problems, failed on some crimpy stuff, didn't get too muddy and conditions were surprisingly good (or at least not totally shite) considering the mist.
Fully intend to go back again to play some more - sorry to those Yorshire folk higher up the thread trying to say stay away so you can keep it for yourselves!
In reply to TimS:

I think you might find JP on DWR today, if you didn't yesterday?

I have climbed more at "the Cliff" this year than anywhere else, 2006 was my year of rediscovery!
 2pints 24 Dec 2006

It's *NEVER* ever wet
It's a really short walk from the carpark
It's really close to a hospital
 sculptor 24 Dec 2006
In reply to 2pints:
> (In reply to SecretSquirrel)
>
> It's really close to a hospital

excellent lol
 adam carless 24 Dec 2006
In reply to TimS:

> but not that much was in nick yesterday except for Demon Wall Roof and Crucifix/Pebble Wall area.

A lot of the stuff round low man was in reasonable condition too, not too cold and dry enough to stick to most stuff. We did see a group of beanies around the Demon Wall area about 2pm was that you?

> that's the beauty of almscliff, probably the first grit crag to dry.

Pretty much our thinking too, plus Squirrel had never seen gods own rock before.

> What problems did you try?

We were mainly playing on the easier stuff to the left of low man, I can't remember the problem or boulder names. I did point Squirrel at the Matterhorn arete, but she rapidly realised the sandbag and ran away.
 Bob 24 Dec 2006
In reply to 2pints:
>

> It's a really short walk from the carpark
It's a really short walk back to the car.

> It's really close to a hospital
A psychiatric hospital!

boB

Yorkspud 24 Dec 2006

Some good routes and problems but there is something a bit dismal about the place imo.
 joe_alexander 24 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel: In my opinion the only problem with Almscliff is it is always packed. For me Yorkshire grit is best on the moor with nobody else about.
 2pints 24 Dec 2006
In reply to Bob:

Not a fan Bob?

MttSnr 24 Dec 2006
In reply to Yorkspud:
>
> Some good routes and problems but there is something a bit dismal about the place imo.

I know what you mean. I lived in Leeds in the early '90s and pretty much cut my teeth on Yorks Grit. I always hated Almscliff though, and I never figured out why. There's something vaguely depressing about the place.

Muych preferred Ilkley. I know its a but obvious, but there's some good routes there.
In reply to MttSnr:
Saw Ilkley on the telly this morning and it does look nice.
 Liam M 27 Dec 2006
In reply to MttSnr: See I find that the other way around. i quite like the routes I've done at Almscliff (predominantly on low man) but have always found Ilkley, esp. the quarry a dank place that has never really inspired me.
 2pints 27 Dec 2006

Went a few weeks back and it was really green in the quarry
TimS 27 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel: Everyone complains about the wind at Almscliff, but it is so much worse at Ilkley on a winter's day due to how exposed it is on the edge of the moor. The quarry often acts like a wind tunnel, and I personally find it a bit dank and uninspiring.

However a great day of exploring can be had in the Rocky Valley - some awesome routes that rarely see ascents as it's ten minutes more walk than the quarry. In best nick in spring and autumn as it's north facing, and rather green at this time of year.
Yrmenlaf 27 Dec 2006
In reply to TimS:

I always prefered Caley when I lived down there

Y.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...